Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
There have been a number of people, including myself, that have had the brackets holding the cargo floor in the 'upper' position shear right off. In my case I had only a moderate amount of weight in the cargo area, but I hit a 'speed table' (hiding in the shade without the usual warning sign or striping) which bounced my cargo.... and came down with enough force to shear off one of the brackets.

Turns out that this is a REALLY CRAPPY design with small plastic stubs taking the load in shear, and basically just poked thru the side panel, NOT screwed in frame or anything substantial. I would hope that @Ford Motor Company is noticing, and redesigns in the future, and/or designs a 'repair/replacement kit' that isn't the replacement of the (expensive) side panels and the associated labor cost, which is significant since you'd have to pull out the rear seats to pull off the side panels for remove/replace. Seems incredibly stupid to require a whole new panel rather than screw the brackets thru to a solid tab on the body so you could replace just the bracket if needed.

To PREVENT breaking, I'd suggest cutting a 2x4 to fit lengthwise between the brackets and support the floor from underneath when the floor is in the upper position. Or, use the lower floor position as your default.

I thought I'd post a quick fix.... literally 10-minutes, that seems to work 'ok' in the meantime.
Tools: drill with 1/8 bit, 1" roofing screws, nut driver

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY cargo floor bracket repair 00 broken

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY cargo floor bracket repair 01 drill w .125 bit

Ford Mustang Mach-E DIY cargo floor bracket repair 02 1 in roofing screws

Last edited: