Does the Mach E support portable music players?

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I burn most of my music from CD's (yea - totally old fashion) and use a music player - specifically the Shanling M0 player, which has bluetooth and USB connectability. Can the Mach E communicate with this type of player or is it just limited to phones? The advantage to me is I have hundreds of albums on the player in a lossless format (FLAC) and it allows me easy access to playlists as well as individual songs and albums. Here is a link to the player if you need any additional detail. Thanks! https://en.shanling.com/product/222
Sponsored

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
Does android support FLAC? If so, you could just transfer those to your android and use android auto. I have an iPhone, and their version of lossless is called "Apple Lossless". If you have an iPhone I think you would have to convert your FLAC files to Apple Lossless. If you happen to subscribe to Apple Music, they now offer streaming versions of their music in Apple Lossless format.

Last edited:

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Check out page 141 of the owners manual:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does the Mach E support portable music players? 1625774897316

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does the Mach E support portable music players? 1625774935275

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
How do you use that music player with other cars?

Mach E doesn't have aux in. So you cannot connect your player with Mach E through audio cable.

If your player works with other cars through USB. The player is likely presenting itself as a generic audio player, and will work with Mach E.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
I don't have my car yet but I'm pretty sure most Ford's would connect to almost any bluetooth audio device so I would think it would probably work.

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
Keep in mind, if you can connect via bluetooth, it will lower the quality of your FLAC files as bluetooth can't transfer anywhere near a lossless bitrate. I believe at best bluetooth has 30x or worse bitrate than "lossless".

I also don't think that the built in USB player will play FLAC. I bet it can only play mpeg3 based files.

OP
OP
GW Shark

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
Keep in mind, if you can connect via bluetooth, it will lower the quality of your FLAC files as bluetooth can't transfer anywhere near a lossless bitrate. I believe at best bluetooth has 30x or worse bitrate than "lossless".

I also don't think that the built in USB player will play FLAC. I bet it can only play mpeg3 based files.

OP
OP
GW Shark

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I was thinking I may have a format issue as well. I'm sure I could do some kind of batch conversion and make them all mp3 files. I have a backup portable hard drive with all the original files. Bluetooth will work! I do have an Iphone but keep most of my music on the Shanling. I'm 6 days away from picking up the car so I'll be sure to report back! Thanks for all the advice and knowledge.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I tried my IPod Touch, it worked fine.
I tried my Sandisk sport Clip plus, it worked fine.
I tried my Zune 30 GB it……..to be continued tomorrow when the battery recharges. It’s been two years.

OP
OP
GW Shark

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I tried my Zune 30 GB it……..to be continued tomorrow when the battery recharges. It’s been two years.
Sounds promising - Thanks!

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Well, the Zune is not compatible. :( I also tried it through my MMB Airplay and no go.

I will have to move my old Corvette playlist to my flash drive…..I have not heard it in a while.

I play all of my music on 64 GB flash drives anyway. The Mach E handles those great with 320 Bitrate MP3s and WAV files. You can shake the mirrors inside and out, and I have the base system.

also the USB C and USB A are different inputs which is nice.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Does the Mach E support portable music players? 7377F117-CC36-410D-A34C-54E52345958D

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I know, it's funny, but I got 13-14 years and endless hours out of that 30 GB Zune. It's traveled across the country at least 30 times via airplane, flown to Gothenberg Sweden, and lived through a 1980 Corvette, 2000 Corvette, 2007 Ford Freestyle, 2001 Suburban, 2008 Town Car, 2007 Suburban, 2013 Chrysler 300 HEMI (supported USB and Zune) and after that (Just my Mach E and Ioniq EV) my cars all support direct USB drives (and not direct Zune) so the Zune went in the drawer. They have a great FM modulator. It still has movies on it too.

I cannot get rid of it, it's an old friend and still works. I will save it for that 1960's or 70's car I will never own.

I was not a Apple product Owner/supporter until my Company issued me an Iphone in 2014 (and I did not have any music on it). My Dad's old Ipod 20 GB is dead now, but Zune is still ticking.

Last edited:

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I burn most of my music from CD's (yea - totally old fashion) and use a music player - specifically the Shanling M0 player, which has bluetooth and USB connectability. Can the Mach E communicate with this type of player or is it just limited to phones? The advantage to me is I have hundreds of albums on the player in a lossless format (FLAC) and it allows me easy access to playlists as well as individual songs and albums. Here is a link to the player if you need any additional detail. Thanks! https://en.shanling.com/product/222
We use an MP3 player through the USB port under the big screen. Works very well with Sync 4.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
We use an MP3 player through the USB port under the big screen. Works very well with Sync 4.
Yup, that’s what I do. I wish you could create play lists but for basic playing it’s great.

I have been using the MMB Airplay for the last week and it has some real nice music Players. They also allow you to fine tune the music equalizer and can create play lists. Yesterday I watched a Mach E YouTube review on the screen while eating lunch. I installed FordPass too.

So now I have two flash drives. One in the Mach E USB and the other in the MMB USB.

29DB765D-DF6B-4F66-B08F-97A362AC2422.jpeg

B8B0168C-9499-4F55-AC50-23A2763BD2B0.jpeg

4C2F801D-482F-4C00-B0BD-D84627CAC76E.jpeg

74D2F715-8C2C-49E6-8185-8C1541739683.jpeg

BF6A24F9-790A-4440-8A83-9AFC92109DF6.jpeg

941693BB-AC2F-4BB6-B668-456AB052A007.jpeg

Last edited: