Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
I use a less formal technique that doesn't require you to keep a lot of records or preplan. What it can do is increase your confidence with the car and teach you how to drive it more effectively.

I think part of the problem is that the MMe doesn't seem to have a real time Mi/KWH meter so it's hard to get good feedback.

The way I tend to drive EVs is to put my destination into the GPS of choice, and it tells me a distance to get there. The look at the GOM and compare the two. Ut might tell you that you will arrive with an extra 55 miles of range, or that you will fall short by 7 miles - either way - THIS is the key metric you need.

If you believe you have more than enough range, well, have at it, drive however you like but still compare the GPS distance to Destination to your GOM and see if you are doing better, or worse than the GOM and your "difference" number gets better or worse.

This is where the value in this method comes in. If you aren't happy with the consumption you are getting, just lift your right foot about 1/16" of an inch, often you can lift up on the accelerator just a little and see a dramatic improvement in efficiency while only losing 1-2mph. Learn what driving a little more gently can do to your efficiency by driving this way for the next 15 minutes. Assuming traffic and terrain haven't changed dramatically check your "difference" again and you would see that you are trending a lot better.

Another variation is to check every 10 miles or so and see how much your situation improves or degrades every 10 miles. Once you have a feel for that you'll be better able to predict how you will end up.

What's nice about this method is that the GOM will adapt to your new consumption patterns as you drive and it turns into a more useful way of gauging how the drive is going.

When you realize how much your driving style affects range (for me it can be easily a 50% change between driving to get somewhere in a hurry vs just backing off a bit all the way to making it a game to see how efficient i can get if I'm in no hurry at all. Learning what works best for you is key, and getting the feedback to understand how your range is affected by your attitude becomes a good skill to have.

If you do like trying to get the most out of your charge, you might also consider keeping less junk in the car, taking the tire pressure up to a higher PSI, and compromising a bit on the heat or AC.

To drive in the most efficient manner, think like you did when you were a kid riding a bike and read the road that way. You already know that not pushing hard on an uphill saves you a lot of energy on a bike, it does in a car too. When going downhill do you need to keep pushing down, or can you just coast as you would on a bike?

Finally, the amount of energy you need on the freeway at 68mph is a LOT more than if you were going 64. you may want to get there faster, but sometimes slowing down enough that you don't need to stop to recharge on the way will get you there a lot faster than if you stop and have to charge up again.

I recently sold my Bolt, but on a bad day I might average 3.5 miles per KWH, but on a good day I could double that for long stretches of my drive. By comparing to my GOM I was comfortable on every drive that I understood what was going on, and what I could do about it.

If you keep an eye on the difference between the GOM and real world performance in real time, you'll save time, money, and wear on the battery.
Sponsored

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I use a less formal technique that doesn't require you to keep a lot of records or preplan. What it can do is increase your confidence with the car and teach you how to drive it more effectively.

I think part of the problem is that the MMe doesn't seem to have a real time Mi/KWH meter so it's hard to get good feedback.

The way I tend to drive EVs is to put my destination into the GPS of choice, and it tells me a distance to get there. The look at the GOM and compare the two. Ut might tell you that you will arrive with an extra 55 miles of range, or that you will fall short by 7 miles - either way - THIS is the key metric you need.

If you believe you have more than enough range, well, have at it, drive however you like but still compare the GPS distance to Destination to your GOM and see if you are doing better, or worse than the GOM and your "difference" number gets better or worse.

This is where the value in this method comes in. If you aren't happy with the consumption you are getting, just lift your right foot about 1/16" of an inch, often you can lift up on the accelerator just a little and see a dramatic improvement in efficiency while only losing 1-2mph. Learn what driving a little more gently can do to your efficiency by driving this way for the next 15 minutes. Assuming traffic and terrain haven't changed dramatically check your "difference" again and you would see that you are trending a lot better.

Another variation is to check every 10 miles or so and see how much your situation improves or degrades every 10 miles. Once you have a feel for that you'll be better able to predict how you will end up.

What's nice about this method is that the GOM will adapt to your new consumption patterns as you drive and it turns into a more useful way of gauging how the drive is going.

When you realize how much your driving style affects range (for me it can be easily a 50% change between driving to get somewhere in a hurry vs just backing off a bit all the way to making it a game to see how efficient i can get if I'm in no hurry at all. Learning what works best for you is key, and getting the feedback to understand how your range is affected by your attitude becomes a good skill to have.

If you do like trying to get the most out of your charge, you might also consider keeping less junk in the car, taking the tire pressure up to a higher PSI, and compromising a bit on the heat or AC.

To drive in the most efficient manner, think like you did when you were a kid riding a bike and read the road that way. You already know that not pushing hard on an uphill saves you a lot of energy on a bike, it does in a car too. When going downhill do you need to keep pushing down, or can you just coast as you would on a bike?

Finally, the amount of energy you need on the freeway at 68mph is a LOT more than if you were going 64. you may want to get there faster, but sometimes slowing down enough that you don't need to stop to recharge on the way will get you there a lot faster than if you stop and have to charge up again.

I recently sold my Bolt, but on a bad day I might average 3.5 miles per KWH, but on a good day I could double that for long stretches of my drive. By comparing to my GOM I was comfortable on every drive that I understood what was going on, and what I could do about it.

If you keep an eye on the difference between the GOM and real world performance in real time, you'll save time, money, and wear on the battery.
I agree.....I have said on numerous similar threads that I think the estimated range has more to do with driving style than maybe cold....I know the cold has an affect, I see that too, but I am still getting over the 230 estimated range on my Select SR RWD on a 85% charge.....because testlas are easy to see on the road and there are many, watch how many drive, speeding up to a red light, fast starts, etc, not great for maximum range........I have driven regular hybrids and plug ins for more than 12 years, and in that time one comes to the conclusions that you can do a lot to maximize how efficient your car is......remember "pulse and glide" in hybrids......

right now at 35 degrees, with o 74% charge, my estimated range is over 190 miles (195).....my m/kwh for almost 9000 miles is 5.2 as per the car trip meter.....it is like a game, and I use the ac all the time and mostly seat heat.....I use the defroster and heat as needed......

all of us will lose estimated range in winter, no surprise there, but there are many driving style approaches you can use to not burn through your battery as fast, even if you have a highway commute everyday.....

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree.....I have said on numerous similar threads that I think the estimated range has more to do with driving style than maybe cold....I know the cold has an affect, I see that too, but I am still getting over the 230 estimated range on my Select SR RWD on a 85% charge.....because testlas are easy to see on the road and there are many, watch how many drive, speeding up to a red light, fast starts, etc, not great for maximum range........I have driven regular hybrids and plug ins for more than 12 years, and in that time one comes to the conclusions that you can do a lot to maximize how efficient your car is......remember "pulse and glide" in hybrids......

right now at 35 degrees, with o 74% charge, my estimated range is over 190 miles (195).....my m/kwh for almost 9000 miles is 5.2 as per the car trip meter.....it is like a game, and I use the ac all the time and mostly seat heat.....I use the defroster and heat as needed......

all of us will lose estimated range in winter, no surprise there, but there are many driving style approaches you can use to not burn through your battery as fast, even if you have a highway commute everyday.....
I have seen the GOM now fluctuate from 310 km to 226 km (194 - 141 mi) charged to 85% just sitting plugged in as the temperature fluctuates from 20 c to -17 c (68 - 1 oF). You have to trust something and I watch consumption under different conditions and forget the GOM. You need to trust one of them and once you do the logic of trust comes down to the same thing. I watch I am not over a predetermine consumption when driving a leg. I most likely will drive as I always have and not hyper mile it or freeze unless over the predetermine consumption. Agree slowing down to a point can help. The back pocket solution that to date has not been required but I have watch consumption under different conditions and starting to have a feel for impact. 29 Kw/100 Km is not the predetermined 34 Kw/100Km @ 80% so LG let the tunes stream. Working so far. 34 leaves me with 10% 29 I was a bit over 20. Driving like I would any other vehicle and not too worried about passing transports to date. Charging over 80% will only makes that better.

evlar77

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Wow, I just keep it simple. My daily driving goal on energy use is always 3.5 miles per kWh. Math is as follows: 3.5 miles x 88kw = 308 miles. If I just maintain this on average for each trip I know I'll get the stated EPA range in my Cali Route 1 MME. So far I find this very easy to do. Averaging 3.7kWh with about 70% hwy use, but I keep it at 70mph or just under. I do live in FL...

Cherie

First Name
Cherie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yes, it absolutely is understood. But several times a week a newbie posts a "problem" with their car and have to be talked down off the ledge. Having this as a sticky saves a step of it having to be explained over and over - we can just point them to this sticky thread
correct!
(me = newby)

Casavage

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
Everyone on the forum always says ignore the range, but I bought the extended range battery so I could drive to my mom's house and back on one charge (240 miles). I was told with the extended battery I would get close to 300 mile range. Most I have ever gotten is 227. This is the only thing that I don't absolutely love about the car. I feel like the advertised range is very misleading to first-time EV owners.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Everyone on the forum always says ignore the range, but I bought the extended range battery so I could drive to my mom's house and back on one charge (240 miles). I was told with the extended battery I would get close to 300 mile range. Most I have ever gotten is 227. This is the only thing that I don't absolutely love about the car. I feel like the advertised range is very misleading to first-time EV owners.
You’ve only ever gotten 227 miles. Does that mean you actually drove 227 miles and had 0% battery remaining? Or does that mean the GOM hasn’t said above 227? I feel like the dash display is more misleading than the advertised range.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We're telling you to ignore the DISPLAYED range because the number displayed is frequently inaccurate and does not predict the ACTUAL range you would achieve driving the car from "full" until "empty".

In colder weather your ACTUAL range will be less than the ACTUAL range you will achieve in warm weather, but that either case the PREDICTION of range that is DISPLAYED is frequently off by a significant margin.

It has been explained MANY times how to compute your ACTUAL range after driving a significant distance

xingusx

First Name
Ingus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD Extended Range
Occupation
Ops Director
Country flag
I bought extended range yesterday, only fone 60 miles and used 50 percent battery, how can that even be. Also bought it as was hoping it would do around 260 miles on one charge

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I bought extended range yesterday, only fone 60 miles and used 50 percent battery, how can that even be. Also bought it as was hoping it would do around 260 miles on one charge
Lots of factors. Temperature is a big one. How fast you drive is another. Uphill? Headwind? Using much heat in the car? Your reported range was based on perfect conditions and slow driving. Worse, if you’re in the UK, your government over reports all BEV ranges. Watch some real world winter range videos. You’ll figure it out. (Though hopefully you didn’t buy the car without learning most of this beforehand.)

Casavage

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
You’ve only ever gotten 227 miles. Does that mean you actually drove 227 miles and had 0% battery remaining? Or does that mean the GOM hasn’t said above 227? I feel like the dash display is more misleading than the advertised range.
Drove to my mom's house and then headed back. Car said I could not make it home without a charge.

Casavage

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
We're telling you to ignore the DISPLAYED range because the number displayed is frequently inaccurate and does not predict the ACTUAL range you would achieve driving the car from "full" until "empty".

In colder weather your ACTUAL range will be less than the ACTUAL range you will achieve in warm weather, but that either case the PREDICTION of range that is DISPLAYED is frequently off by a significant margin.

It has been explained MANY times how to compute your ACTUAL range after driving a significant distance
I understand how to calculate my actual mileage. My point is that I was told if I paid $5000 for the ER battery, I could drive to my mom's house and back on a single charge. That is not true. I am old and female and I am not going to keep driving if the car says I can't make it. "PREDICTION of range that is DISPLAYED is frequently off by a significant margin" is unacceptable.

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
I get that this is a GOM, but still this is a little concerning to me. Seems worse after the recall service and software update at the dealer.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go A15B715D-65D1-4DAE-ACB1-0CF38B52C47B

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Wow, I just keep it simple. My daily driving goal on energy use is always 3.5 miles per kWh. Math is as follows: 3.5 miles x 88kw = 308 miles. If I just maintain this on average for each trip I know I'll get the stated EPA range in my Cali Route 1 MME. So far I find this very easy to do. Averaging 3.7kWh with about 70% hwy use, but I keep it at 70mph or just under. I do live in FL...
I live in AZ, and I just use 3 miles per SoC %. Has worked for me even when driving 70-75mph. Typically chargers are under 200 miles apart, so no real issue if it comes out a little less.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I get that this is a GOM, but still this is a little concerning to me. Seems worse after the recall service and software update at the dealer.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Don't trust the displayed range on indicator (GOM)! Best ways to calculate how far your Mach-E can really go A15B715D-65D1-4DAE-ACB1-0CF38B52C47B
We get it. FOMO is strong. You’re not missing out on range. When certain updates like 21P22 are run, the history is reset and you are starting out at a seasonal baseline again. It will get better based on your driving. Besides, spring is coming.