Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Preacher
Country flag
Through the EV and Chill YouTube channel, and 2 other reviewers, I’ve read stories of people being unable to open the doors or back hatch, whether with the key fob or iPhone “key.”

Is this a widespread problem? Has Ford already resolved it? Thanks for the comments!

I test drove the Mach E and loved it!
Sponsored

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I exclusively use Phone as a Key since I got mine last Feb. You have to have a little patience, but it usually works. Sometimes I have to use the door code to unlock the door, or take my phone out of my pocket and open up FordPass in order for it to connect and allow me to start the car. It's been better with recent updates and rarely has issues. Make sure you set up a door code and back up start code, and you can use that as a last resort if needed. iPhone 11 Pro here.

OP
OP

ReverendRides

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Preacher
Country flag
Thanks Taylor. Sounds frustrating. Perhaps I don’t have the required patience!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Through the EV and Chill YouTube channel, and 2 other reviewers, I’ve read stories of people being unable to open the doors or back hatch, whether with the key fob or iPhone “key.”

Is this a widespread problem? Has Ford already resolved it? Thanks for the comments!

I have had my car since Feb as well. Fob works perfectly. Every time.
Phone as a key worked most times after several presses of the door pillar button. Occasionally I had to use the entry and start codes if the phone didn't work at all.

However, for the last week or two.....phone as a key has completely stopped functioning. I tried it about 5 or 6 times this past weekend and it was the door and start code or nothing.

I am now back to using my fob again.
Great car though. I enjoy mine. ?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

Hmm I’ve never used the key fob. If I only had a YouTube channel. ?.

OP
OP

ReverendRides

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Preacher
Country flag
I have had my car since Feb as well. Fob works perfectly. Every time.
Phone as a key worked most times after several presses of the door pillar button. Occasionally I had to use the entry and start codes if the phone didn't work at all.

However, for the last week or two.....phone as a key has completely stopped functioning. I tried it about 5 or 6 times this past weekend and it was the door and start code or nothing.

I am now back to using my fob again.
Great car though. I enjoy mine. ?
SnBGC, ever any issues unlocking rear doors or hatch? Thanks!

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So my car I would say the non driver doors will open maybe 20% of the time when I have my phone in hand. Even if I get out of my car, squeeze between the wall of my garage, and then go to the passenger side door the car will be locked. Now as far as the back, I think I'm almost always had it open without any issue. However, the second I close it the damn mirrors fold in and it locks the car back and won't open the drivers door, always have to use the code.

PAAK defiantly has it quirks, its absolutely gotten better though. I don't carry the fob ever, so I'm strictly a PAAK user since late July.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
If my phone is in my pocket, occasionally I’ll have to scoot towards the screen to get it to pick it up. I’ve never had it not work to start.
I’ve gotten in the habit of using the unlock button on the app so I’m not too sure how reliable the walk up feature is.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I’ve only had my car now for a week and a half. I’ve resigned to simply using the fob like I have on every car before it. I can only get PaaK to work if I take my phone out and open FordPass, but I can keep the fob in my pocket and do everything effortlessly. So, fob it is. It’s not such an intrusive device to me that I need to go through the extra steps of getting my phone out, opening the app, and waiting for the two smart devices to recognize each other just to get in. With the fob, I walk up and press the button. Done

OP
OP

ReverendRides

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Occupation
Preacher
Country flag
I’ve only had my car now for a week and a half. I’ve resigned to simply using the fob like I have on every car before it. I can only get PaaK to work if I take my phone out and open FordPass, but I can keep the fob in my pocket and do everything effortlessly. So, fob it is. It’s not such an intrusive device to me that I need to go through the extra steps of getting my phone out, opening the app, and waiting for the two smart devices to recognize each other just to get in. With the fob, I walk up and press the button. Done
dave any issues with opening other 3 doors or hatch when desired? Thanks! Enjoy it!

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
dave any issues with opening other 3 doors or hatch when desired? Thanks! Enjoy it!
Not when I use the fob. Everything works as intended with it comfortably in my pocket

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
SnBGC, ever any issues unlocking rear doors or hatch? Thanks!
Not that I remember. I use the rear liftgate about 6 times per day and it unlocks and opens with the foot sensor as expected.

Rear doors aren't used as often but every attempt to enter the car is successful. For me, the fob proximity sensors work as good as or better than my Focus Electric, C-Max Energi or Wrangler 4xe. (Which are the only vehicles I own with that feature)

If you search the TSB section on this forum there might be something about the RKE sensors. I think I remember something about that earlier this year....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks Taylor. Sounds frustrating. Perhaps I don’t have the required patience!
Try it and see. PaaK has worked well for me, not well for my wife. If you don't have the patience, carry the fob.

billyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mache Gt
Country flag
This is definitely the quirkiest car I've owned with regards to the key FOBs. I put my work bag in the back driver side back seat. If I am standing where I can comfortably open the back door without it swinging into me, it won't unlock. If I move about 6" to the left (towards the front of the car) it unlocks.

Not sure if it's a FOB problem, but the auto lock is also very quirky. Sometimes locks when I'm 3' away, sometimes 40' away and sometimes not at all.

I have not even attempted the PAAK.
Sponsored