Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
To Etrailer I went and bought the Draw-Tite Hitch for my MachE. Decided on it because of the price and higher tongue weight than the Curt. I have no plans on towing but who knows what type of stuff I may load on the hitch platform. Hauling gasoline. grills, coolers, bikes are the reason for this install.

The instructions were pretty good. The list the number and type of fasteners to be removed and the dimensions of the cut needed.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_094102743

I purchased a set of Rino-Ramps from Amazon for this. I own a crawler and all the other tools used.

If a person does not own a torque wrench I believe you can borrow them from the local automotive store much like a loan a tool. Installation to the correct spec on torque is really important here. I started at 25lbs and increased the setting on the wrench until 50lbs specified was reached. The crush washers supplied with the hitch require the torque to work. I think I got at about 1/8 to 1/4 turn of crush out of the supplied washers between 25lbs and 50lbs.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_094943692_HDR

Backing the Mustang onto the ramp was actually pretty nice, I have done ICE cars on ramps and always have had stress about falling off. Be it an automatic or clutch you really do not get the feel of the ramp and I always worried. The nature of the electric motors in the MachE make it very easy to feel I actually stopped on the flat and did not hit the rear stop on the ramp having to back until it I did. With one peddle there is no movement and it is very sure footed. Put on the parking brake and chocked the front tires, just because.

The 16 10mm's holding on the cover are not in there tight. I just used the socket on the extension and no wrench handle when removing and installing. Just hand snug. The 4 plastic rivets are of two types and removed after the 10mm 's and it helps for the forward ones to reach above the cover, the rear plastic rivets you pull out a the center to remove them.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_100413382

Once the covers were off I measured the spacing on the hitch and frame rail holes, just to be sure. Everything lined up. I then found the center of the rear valance and marked out my cuts. I just did the side cuts 4.75 inches and did not cut the 8 inch rear cut. Electing to fold up the plastic instead. The plastic was fairly thick. I used electrician snips to start but ended up using tabbing shears. They made quick work of things.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_104123915_HDR
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_113721443_HDR

The hitch came with all the fasteners and spring wires needed for install. Bolts and interior washers went in easily using the spring wires.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_105346984

I used a floor jack to aid in lifting up the hitch. Of note the full extension needed to lift this hitch into place with the car on the ramps was 19 inches. I had to use some cribbing to add to the height of the jack.

I put the nut on the first bolt on the driver side, leaving off the crush washer. Then placed nuts and washers on the passenger side followed my the last nut and washer on the driver. At this point I put the washer on the fist bolt and proceeded to torque everything down to spec.

After reinstalling the cover total elapse time for me with this install was about 2 hours and 10 minutes from start to finish of work. It would have been miserable without the creeper.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210711_120233592

Last edited:

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Looks good, thanks for the detailed photos and counts of the fasteners! Hate getting all but one fastener loose and hunting around for the one you missed...

I have the Torklift hitch in the garage waiting for my car to show up (next week, fingers crossed), and this install seems quite similar. Using a good hydraulic jack to lift the hitch is an important tip - I've done that with other hitch installs, and once with a 400lb winch bumper on a Tacoma. I'm not a big guy, so I've learned to use a little mechanical advantage anywhere I can. ;)

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
Using a good hydraulic jack to lift the hitch is an important tip - I've done that with other hitch installs, and once with a 400lb winch bumper on a Tacoma. I'm not a big guy, so I've learned to use a little mechanical advantage anywhere I can. ;)
I didn’t really need a floor jack to install the receiver on my Fusion, but if I put a receiver on my Mach-E (big if, since I am trying to keep weight down) I will probably use my transmission jack because it has a big flat platform and lash-down points.

gGreat pix and step-by-step instructions. Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I didn’t really need a floor jack to install the receiver on my Fusion, but if I put a receiver on my Mach-E (big if, since I am trying to keep weight down) I will probably use my transmission jack because it has a big flat platform and lash-down points.

gGreat pix and step-by-step instructions. Thanks for posting!
I have a motorcycle lift that would have been perfect, however the bottle jack on it is trash since I have not used it in about a decade.

rnctacardon

First Name
Rey Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
To Etrailer I went and bought the Draw-Tite Hitch for my MachE. Decided on it because of the price and higher tongue weight than the Curt. I have no plans on towing but who knows what type of stuff I may load on the hitch platform. Hauling gasoline. grills, coolers, bikes are the reason for this install.

The instructions were pretty good. The list the number and type of fasteners to be removed and the dimensions of the cut needed.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_0049 (4)

I purchased a set of Rino-Ramps from Amazon for this. I own a crawler and all the other tools used.

If a person does not own a torque wrench I believe you can borrow them from the local automotive store much like a loan a tool. Installation to the correct spec on torque is really important here. I started at 25lbs and increased the setting on the wrench until 50lbs specified was reached. The crush washers supplied with the hitch require the torque to work. I think I got at about 1/8 to 1/4 turn of crush out of the supplied washers between 25lbs and 50lbs.

Backing the Mustang onto the ramp was actually pretty nice, I have done ICE cars on ramps and always have had stress about falling off. Be it an automatic or clutch you really do not get the feel of the ramp and I always worried. The nature of the electric motors in the MachE make it very easy to feel I actually stopped on the flat and did not hit the rear stop on the ramp having to back until it I did. With one peddle there is no movement and it is very sure footed. Put on the parking brake and chocked the front tires, just because.

The 16 10mm's holding on the cover are not in there tight. I just used the socket on the extension and no wrench handle when removing and installing. Just hand snug. The 4 plastic rivets are of two types and removed after the 10mm 's and it helps for the forward ones to reach above the cover, the rear plastic rivets you pull out a the center to remove them.

Once the covers were off I measured the spacing on the hitch and frame rail holes, just to be sure. Everything lined up. I then found the center of the rear valance and marked out my cuts. I just did the side cuts 4.75 inches and did not cut the 8 inch rear cut. Electing to fold up the plastic instead. The plastic was fairly thick. I used electrician snips to start but ended up using tabbing shears. They made quick work of things.

The hitch came with all the fasteners and spring wires needed for install. Bolts and interior washers went in easily using the spring wires.

I used a floor jack to aid in lifting up the hitch. Of note the full extension needed to lift this hitch into place with the car on the ramps was 19 inches. I had to use some cribbing to add to the height of the jack.

I put the nut on the first bolt on the driver side, leaving off the crush washer. Then placed nuts and washers on the passenger side followed my the last nut and washer on the driver. At this point I put the washer on the fist bolt and proceeded to torque everything down to spec.

After reinstalling the cover total elapse time for me with this install was about 2 hours and 10 minutes from start to finish of work. It would have been miserable without the creeper.

Good job and thanks for the description of the work, give me at least an idea on the difficulty. How much did it cost you total?

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Ramps $64, Hitch $249 delivered

scubauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e wanta be
Country flag
Appears like a good product, and more reasonably priced than the torklift, but not something I want to install myself. Any suggestions on where to have it professionally installed?

scubauke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e wanta be
Country flag
Thanks. Will contact some of the installers.

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag

How much material did you have to cut any and does it leave a large opening. Any close up pictures? Thanks

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
How much material did you have to cut any and does it leave a large opening. Any close up pictures? Thanks
I cut 2 slits in and folded the flap up. No real opening as it (the flap of plastic) is pushing down on the top of the hitch. I will try for photos in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Raining today..

Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210911_165931174

Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210911_165824814
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210911_165918384

And a possum I just stumbled on..
Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210910_153354285

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the pics. Nice job

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
Raining today..

Ford Mustang Mach-E Draw-tite Trailer Hitch Receiver Install IMG_20210910_153354285

And a possum I just stumbled on..
Thanks for the pics and getting wet. That's a real clean install. But it looks like you left a gap big enough for a stowaway. Ha Ha. Adult opossums are scary looking but the babies are absolutely cute.

For the price and the clean install, I am definitely leaning to the Drawtie.