Driver side back window scratched

Charlesblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Select
Country flag
Hi,

I took delivery of my Mach E about a month ago. I noticed some scratches on the driver side back window. The dealer said they can take the panel apart and see if it’s a defect in manufacturing in which case it’ll be covered by warranty otherwise I’d have to pay the diagnosis fee. The scratches aren’t straight, some you can feel to the touch and others not. They seem to be on the outside. Any idea of what can be causing this?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Grit in the dew wipe would be my first thought. Or maybe something is wrong with the dew wipe or it’s installation.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Hi,

I took delivery of my Mach E about a month ago. I noticed some scratches on the driver side back window. The dealer said they can take the panel apart and see if it’s a defect in manufacturing in which case it’ll be covered by warranty otherwise I’d have to pay the diagnosis fee. The scratches aren’t straight, some you can feel to the touch and others not. They seem to be on the outside. Any idea of what can be causing this?
A few others have indicated that their dealers noticed similar scratches, and their dealers took it upon themselves to have the glass replaced. It's possible that the dealer scratched the glass by haphazardly removing shipping labels.

In those prior cases, though, the scratches were noticed by a salesperson on the day of delivery, not by the customer a month later. So just fyi...

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Grit in the dew wipe would be my first thought. Or maybe something is wrong with the dew wipe or it’s installation.
Is there a way to clean the dew wipe? When I bought my car it was already so dirty from sitting on the lot. When I got it tinted he used this tool thing to kind of clean it, but when I roll my windows down, I still get streaks like crazy on them and it drives me nuts, especially when I've just washed (obviously not rolling it down why it is wet haha).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
A few others have indicated that their dealers noticed similar scratches, and their dealers took it upon themselves to have the glass replaced. It's possible that the dealer scratched the glass by haphazardly removing shipping labels.

In those prior cases, though, the scratches were noticed by a salesperson on the day of delivery, not by the customer a month later. So just fyi...
My right rear window had a defect upon delivery. The dealer spotted it and noted it on the paperwork and began the warranty process. I had the car ceramic coated before the new window had a chance to arrive. Part of that process involves polishing the paint and polishing the windows to remove the water spots gathered during its 11-week voyage here. The window polishing removed the defect. It's possible that could happen with this one if the scratches are light enough.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would consult a good professional detailed about cleaning the dew wipes, mostly because it’s hard to describe in text. My method is kind of intrusive since it involves removing them.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I agree it’s a dealer issue. Mine has some very fine scratches as well on the drivers side rear window as well.

OP
OP

Charlesblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Select
Country flag
My right rear window had a defect upon delivery. The dealer spotted it and noted it on the paperwork and began the warranty process. I had the car ceramic coated before the new window had a chance to arrive. Part of that process involves polishing the paint and polishing the windows to remove the water spots gathered during its 11-week voyage here. The window polishing removed the defect. It's possible that could happen with this one if the scratches are light enough.
I can feel the some of the scratches with my finger so I’m assuming I’d be out of luck to get them polished

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I can feel the some of the scratches with my finger so I’m assuming I’d be out of luck to get them polished
Probably. If they were fine enough, perhaps not but if you can really feel them, my guess is new window. :(

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Mine has the scratches on the back window. Its right where there was a sticker on the back window. I have a feeling however dealers are removing that sticker are scratching the window.
Sponsored