• Total voters

Whatstreet

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
A case for AWD, you have stopped at a wide spot for some reason and the car is off the pavement. The highway is busy and the speeds rather high. There are few opportunities to enter the highway and aggressive acceleration is required when there is but the car is on gravel and has no traction.

With AWD there would be better traction and you might even be able to get the front axel on the pavement before finding that opportunity to enter the highway.

Whatstreet

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Except the failure of one motor with the battery and other inter-connections disables the car. Tesla makes the same claim it in its advertisements and owners are quick to point out its fallacy.

Another issue that has developed is that Tesla's AWD is really RWD most of the time. The front engages only via traction control that senses wheel slip. People with Track Mode are able to see the power to the wheels and noticed this.

The Mach-E may also do this to gain range, TBD.
I think the front axel is live during high power demand even when the rear axel has traction. But I see what you mean for cornering it might be better to have full time AWD.

Rod m

First Name
Rodney
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Vehicles
Nissan leaf
Country flag
I've found that the traction control systems in EVs work far better than the ones on ICE vehicles (instant throttle response anyone) and thus will be sticking with the longest range RWD version (even though I'm in Michigan).

I want to keep with the trend that my new BEV has longer range than my old BEV which means that if/when I get a Mach-E it has to have longer range than my 238 mile Bolt :)
I agree I want it to react like a mustang so to has to be RWD😁

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I've found that the traction control systems in EVs work far better than the ones on ICE vehicles (instant throttle response anyone) and thus will be sticking with the longest range RWD version (even though I'm in Michigan).

I want to keep with the trend that my new BEV has longer range than my old BEV which means that if/when I get a Mach-E it has to have longer range than my 238 mile Bolt :)
Jamie, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I live in NY and have been driving the Model S with RWD for the last 2 1/2 years. I've never had an issue. RWD on BEVs, with their extremely low center of gravity, resulting from the very heavy, low mounted battery packs, provide a stability that's not even close to conventional ICE vehicles with RWD. It's just a different animal.