macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I usually like to let my passenger be the DJ when we are on the road but if I'm in the car with my phone is their an east way for a passenger to stream their music through the audio system without having to go through the whole process of setting up their phone to connect by Bluetooth before the ride? I thought maybe we could just connect their phone through the USB port under the center screen but that didn't work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I usually like to let my passenger be the DJ when we are on the road but if I'm in the car with my phone is their an east way for a passenger to stream their music through the audio system without having to go through the whole process of setting up their phone to connect by Bluetooth before the ride? I thought maybe we could just connect their phone through the USB port under the center screen but that didn't work.
I played around with this tonight when I had time. It seems like you can add a guest phone through the USB port without too much effort but you first have to disconnect your own phone from CarPlay before it will allow the set up. once you do the new phone connects with one tap. Only problem is you can't use any of your own apps because you can't have two phones connected to CarPlay at once. Maybe that can't be done but it seems like the ability to allow one phone to access the audio output while another controls all the other apps would be a really useful feature.

The only workaround I can think of at the moment is for the guest to share their Spotify or Pandora playlist with the driver and then the driver can play the passengers music through the cars audio system using their own phone. Alternatively the passenger can just use CarPlay and the driver can run all of their apps through their phone and still use the car's navigation if they want.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think all they do it touch CarPlay tile and then select their phone from the list?
I think that is how my wife, kids and coworkers do it. My wife's phone is saved in the settings but the other phones aren't........at least not that I know about. To be honest, I didn't really pay attention....it just seemed to recognize their phones right away, asks a question on the screen and "poof" they were connected.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
In all my other vehicles there's always been a "media" option where a connected phone via USB can play whatever. Additionally, connecting a phone via bluetooth to use the vehicle as just a "speaker" was an option.

Maybe a future OTA could give us this option. I've already had a few people complain.

BUT ... I just tell them to use the voice assistant and tell the car what they want and that always works. For playlists it would be nice.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
In all my other vehicles there's always been a "media" option where a connected phone via USB can play whatever. Additionally, connecting a phone via bluetooth to use the vehicle as just a "speaker" was an option.

Maybe a future OTA could give us this option. I've already had a few people complain.

BUT ... I just tell them to use the voice assistant and tell the car what they want and that always works. For playlists it would be nice.
Interesting - Sync 3 lets you have an active phone on Bluetooth for phone and another for media. That's not possible on 4A?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
That's not possible on 4A?
I honestly haven't tried. In order to connect a phone you have to do the whole "connect a phone thing" where it wants contacts, messages, birth certificate etc. Most people are like nah, I'm good.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I honestly haven't tried. In order to connect a phone you have to do the whole "connect a phone thing" where it wants contacts, messages, birth certificate etc. Most people are like nah, I'm good.
hmm. all that stuff can be declined and set to permanently off on the Sync side, so it's a one time thing as part of doing the initial pairing. this is pretty much what I've seen on every car I've done a Bluetooth pairing on across many manufacturers - you've had vehicles where the initial pairing didn't do the contact request, etc.? interesting.
Sponsored