Electric MME vs. Gas: Mile for Mile, EVs Still Hold Edge, But Advantage Shrinks

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
Rather than use $/mi I prefer to discuss this in BTU/Mile. An EV wins hands down when you become agnostic to the source of the energy because it doesn't lose energy through heat losses (ok engineers it does lose some but there is no big honking radiator in the front to remove waste heat). It has been shown that the energy efficiency of an EV is 85-90% compared to an ICE at 20-30%. On a $ basis my MME-GT on cheap electricity in North Carolina (~$0.05/kwh for the plan I am on converts to less than $0.02/mile) vs my 2500 diesel pickup which costs ~$0.18/mile.
Sponsored

socalh2oskier

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Almost retired
Country flag
Our electric Mach-E remains a more economical choice on a per-mile basis compared to gasoline-powered cars, despite a narrowing of the cost gap. An EV like the MME has an average energy cost that's roughly 100% lower (twice as cheap) per mile driven when compared to traditional internal combustion engine vehicles.

However, this advantage has shrunk from a previous high of 150% due to a faster rise in average electricity rates compared to gasoline prices. This chart illustrates this fluctuation in cost advantage based on gas price movements.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 07.19.51.jpg

The chart is based on detailed monthly data downloaded from the US Bureau of Labor website. I took the EPA usage of 26 MPG for a new ICE car and 2.8 miles/kWh for the electric MME. The data will not be much different for typical EVs.

Your individual mileage advantage varies depending on what you would pay for gas and are paying for electricity. My MME is only 50% cheaper because I live in Silicon Valley where our energy monopolist PG&E has jacked up prices dramatically. Currently, my household electric gate is a whopping $0.41/kWh, 137% more than the national average:
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 07.35.51.jpg

The inflated rates of PG&E significantly impact the overall cost savings.

When adjusted for inflation, national average electricity rates have remained relatively stable over the past twelve years, with the exception of Silicon Valley.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 07.47.13.jpg

Conversely, gasoline prices have actually decreased compared to 2012, except for the Bay Area:
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 07.48.53.jpg

Despite the rise in electricity rates, EVs continue to be the more economical option in terms of energy cost. However, energy cost is just one smaller factor influencing total ownership costs. Depreciation dominates:

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 07.57.29.jpg
I see some crazy expensive electric rates out there. Where we live (Phoenix area) we pay $.032/kwh in the winter during off-peak, and $.105/kwh at all other times except 4-7, when it is over $.30/kwh. We charge only during off-peak, and always charge at home. My cost for power for the Mach-E is about 1/5 of what it would cost to go equilavent distances in our other car--a Subaru Outback. Registration is generally expensive in Az, but we bought ours during the last year of an incentive that gives us an 80% discount on registration for as long as we own it. So far, our Mach-E is the best car we have ever owned. Zero problems, a joy to drive, and super economical with "fuel."

Bilyjck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Select and many motorcycles
Country flag
Our electric Mach-E remains a more economical choice on a per-mile basis compared to gasoline-powered cars, despite a narrowing of the cost gap. An EV like the MME has an average energy cost that's roughly 100% lower (twice as cheap) per mile driven when compared to traditional internal combustion engine vehicles.

However, this advantage has shrunk from a previous high of 150% due to a faster rise in average electricity rates compared to gasoline prices. This chart illustrates this fluctuation in cost advantage based on gas price movements.

The chart is based on detailed monthly data downloaded from the US Bureau of Labor website. I took the EPA usage of 26 MPG for a new ICE car and 2.8 miles/kWh for the electric MME. The data will not be much different for typical EVs.

Your individual mileage advantage varies depending on what you would pay for gas and are paying for electricity. My MME is only 50% cheaper because I live in Silicon Valley where our energy monopolist PG&E has jacked up prices dramatically. Currently, my household electric gate is a whopping $0.41/kWh, 137% more than the national average:

When adjusted for inflation, national average electricity rates have remained relatively stable over the past twelve years, with the exception of Silicon Valley.

Conversely, gasoline prices have actually decreased compared to 2012, except for the Bay Area:

Despite the rise in electricity rates, EVs continue to be the more economical option in terms of energy cost. However, energy cost is just one smaller factor influencing total ownership costs. Depreciation dominates:

These stat posts always leave out the fact it is possible to charge electric cars for free.

These stat posts seem to leave out the fact that electric vehicles can charge for free. I don't know of any gas stations that give away fuel. 6k miles on my Mach E and 90% has been at free chargers in town.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I need to second check my data, but I've driven 74 miles as May1-10th and that cost me $4.25 in electricity. My previous speed3 got 23 MPG highway. So those same 74 miles would have cost $13 with gas at 4.25 a gallon here. (my car was in the shop for 7 of those days)

There are many plans here in south PHX (SRP), but my EZ3 plan is $0.1 off peak and on peak it varies per month, but worst case Jul+Aug is $0.362. They have an EV charger plan, but unless you daily commute > 30 miles, that plan will cost more than others.

I'll be able to graph my $ / mile costs more accurately as soon as I write that template for my home assistant. Since I get odometer from fordpass integration and the kW from the emporia integration, it's rather straight forward.

With rates here so cheap and that SRP charges a user $30 a month to have grid tie solar, it takes a long time for those panels to pay for themselves. To bad as I'd like to be driving on sun power. At least then I would feel I'm getting something positive out of the summers around here. :) Maybe a off-grid solar purely for charging my car (and running pool pump) might be worth it.

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
Even if you are a believer, you’re not saving the planet driving your “green” 5,000 pound vehicle. There are many smaller options, or even better, public transit. You’ve chosen a certain level of personal comfort and taste over your proclaimed desire to save the planet, which kinda gives away the game.
I agree fully. I need a car of some kind, public transit or bikes simply don’t work in the suburban sprawl I live in. I really hate that, I’ve become rather anti-car dominance lately.

But given need some kind an EV seems the far better choice. Were there tinier EVs when I bought that would be better for the planet? I don’t know.

It is what it is. I’m not an eco-warrior.

Also, I for one would pay to have my trash hauled away even if I could burn it for free. Because I don’t want to smell like burnt trash.
My point exactly. At an equal price per mile I would still pick the EV because with externalities taken into account the options are not equal at all.

Mirak

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
There's always a better alternative. Everyone could be a vegan as well to lower emissions. However, if it's a choice between an ICE SUV and an equivalent BEV SUV, the BEV SUV is still the greener choice. It's just a much more efficient vehicle.

It all depends on the level of sacrifice and personal choice an individual is willing to accept.
Yeah… but if you draw the line for your beliefs at the level of your own personal comfort, that seems a little disingenuous to me.

Efthreeoh

First Name
IKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fordson
Occupation
Millionaire
Why? Only a small percentage of BEV drivers routinely use DCFC. An even smaller percentage frequently DCFC. The vast majority of us charge at home. Use the national average kWh home rate.
This is what I don't understand. If what you say is true, why is the national EV charging infrastructure such a key part of EV adoption and why was the adoption by Ford of the Tesla network such an important milestone to MME owners?

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
This is what I don't understand. If what you say is true, why is the national EV charging infrastructure such a key part of EV adoption and why was the adoption by Ford of the Tesla network such an important milestone to MME owners?
Because most people are idiots. The same reason people in suburbia all get massive trucks. They have to have them for that one single day maybe in the future they might need to haul something. Rather than just rent a truck/van for that hypothetical day.

Similarly, even people that charge 99% at home, they have to have a car that one day in the future they want to conveniently road trip, rather than even think about renting a car for a one-off roadtrip.

Detroit33

First Name
DJR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Even if your electricity comes exclusively from a coal plant, that coal plant is almost twice as efficient at converting fuel to electricity than a small engine. That's why you don't run your house on a generator except for emergencies. You'd burn through ridiculous amounts of fuel.
No, that is not true. The average efficiency of a coal fired powerplant in the US is ~33%, which I think is more or less in line with a gasoline engine (diesel efficiency is typically over 40%). Large scale natural gas approaches 50% efficiency. But then don't forget to add in transmission and distribution losses which total about ~6%. In total it means that you have to burn ~3.2kW worth of coal at the plant to get ~1kW worth of energy at your house.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
These stat posts always leave out the fact it is possible to charge electric cars for free.

These stat posts seem to leave out the fact that electric vehicles can charge for free. I don't know of any gas stations that give away fuel. 6k miles on my Mach E and 90% has been at free chargers in town.
I haven’t used any free public chargers, but my PV array pretty much gives me free electricity and almost all of my charging is at home. 🤷‍♂️🐩

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
The current crop of owners of EVs are that special target % of people who are interested. That predominantly includes home owners with ability to charge at home. (not all, but large percentage) I'm in that boat as an enthusiast of EV performance (acceleration). Also, the drive patterns are people who generally can commute using an EV. Many cannot use an EV for their daily drivers at this point without add'l charging infrastructure, albeit for DCFC or at L2/L3 at work.

When you get the general masses, it will include multi-unit dwellings - aka apartments, condos, etc., those with less than high income, and those with different drive patterns. That will definitely need more infrastructure. The long game needs more charging infrastructure. I don't think it can get there, to be honest.

I've always been the proponent of battery modules to swap out quickly, similar to the LP grill gas concept. Pull into a Jiffy Lube style and in 5 minutes the robots under the floor have swapped your batteries from the belly of the BEV. That takes extensive collaboration that hasn't happened and won't anytime soon. Then the battery service provider can charge the batteries separately in their high speed fashion.

n2585722

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I calculated right I paid 5.57 for going 134 miles last week. You have to have very efficient gas car to match that it think. I have had the car since December and I have not notice a big increase in my electric bill but it is just a little higher than 10 cents a kwh.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I live on an island so I’m not the best to ask about that. Consider, though, that for in town or modest inter urban travel the state of our charging networks is relatively meaningless. It’s usually, though not always, a convenience. If, however, we start moving beyond moderate driving distances, for any reason, public charging becomes a necessity. There are many folks who use their cars for work and put some serious mileage on them. Asking those folks to have a different car for that is a non starter. Plus there are all the folks who cannot charge at home: grid infrastructure limitations, limited service, renters, etc.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag

I concur, energy cost is small part. Insurance is skyrocketing lately on my vehicles, and higher on the two MMEs. It's outrageous.