rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Just got a call back from my dealership and they stated a faulty part of the gear shift module needs to replaced. They just put in an order and I might be able to pick up the car tomorrow. So in my case it wasn't just a random fault. Hoping there's no other issues after the replacement tomorrow.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Just got the Powertrain malfunction/reduced power error on my car (that Iā€™ve had for less than 1000 miles and not even 3 week). Acting a little wonky after that. Initially started up again and backed into the garage fine, but then after restarting to back up a little more, it was giving me an error message about vehicle not being in park when I tried to put it in reverse (it was).

itā€™s been glitchy all day before this. Got stuck on the guest profile and I had to reset sync to be able to switch to my profile. Then, when I got home and shut it off, it said ā€œno key detected, restart carā€. Also wasnā€™t letting me change settings because it said I was using a MyKey (never set one up).

car updated to 3.5.4 last week.

If it starts up ok next time, should I roll with it or should I go ahead and take it in? Now Iā€™m nervous to drive it.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Edosansf

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e premium 2022
Country flag
On Wednesday this week I had a very similar issue.
Vehicle: Mach-E Premium AWD.
Car has been in service 2 months with just under 1000 miles. No issues until Wednesday.
On power on I got the message to schedule service as soon as possible and the reduced power warning. I also had the issue with the profile stuck on "Guest" and I could not change it.
I drove 45 files with the warning. On arrival I powered on/off and then got in addition the red battery icon on the dashboard. I set up a service visit at the local dealer next monday.
On Wednesday afternoon I still got the reduced power warning and service message, but no red battery. The profile behavior also went back to normal.
Yesterday, Thursday evening, the reduced power warning went away.
So now the car is behaving as usual.
I think I will still take it to the dealer on Monday so they can give it the once over.

Last edited:

MustangAmy

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue 2022 GT
Country flag
On Wednesday this week I had a very familiar issue.
Vehicle: Mach-E Premium AWD.
Car has been in service 2 months with just under 1000 miles. No issues until Wednesday.
On power on I got the message to schedule service as soon as possible and the reduced power warning. I also had the issue with the profile stuck on "Guest" and I could not change it.
I drove 45 files with the warning. On arrival I powered on/off and then got in addition the red battery icon on the dashboard. I set up a service visit at the local dealer next monday.
On Wednesday afternoon I still got the reduced power warning and service message, but no red battery. The profile behavior also went back to normal.
Yesterday, Thursday evening, the reduced power warning went away.
So now the car is behaving as usual.
I think I will still take it to the dealer on Monday so they can give it the once over.
The warnings cleared after a few restarts. I drove it on multiple trips today, totaling about 60 miles without any issues. Have an appointment at the dealership on Monday, though, that I plan on keeping.

11fourteen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I got this same set of issues today after charging at a public charger (that happened to have a broken latch, not sure if related). Planning to let the vehicle site for a few hours and check back.

MustangAmy

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue 2022 GT
Country flag
Took the car in today. Dealer said when they pulled the codes, it told them to update a few modules, which they did. They were unable to reproduce the error and didn't find anything else wrong. Hopefully, it was just a computer glitch.

OP
OP
rohankumar

rohankumar

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I have had all sorts of delays in the part being delivered into the dealership, dropped off the car on Thursday and might be able to pick it up tomorrow possibly. Dealership assured me that many modules have been updated in the interim and also they should have me at the software version available.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I got the Powertrain Malfunction /Reduced Powe error as well after I DC fast-charged and attempted to charge when I got home (after a two hour interstate drive). Car would not charge, and the error popped up on the FordPass app. Lo and behold, see the dreaded gear and ā€œService Vehicle soonā€ error. I have an April 2022 build, only 8k miles.

I looked at the forms and unplugged, waited 15 min, and the car started charging. I woke up this morning and the error message was gone.

Hopefully, mine was just the bug and not a DC fast-charging issue (HVBJB failure). My dealership does not have any appointments for two weeks.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
If everything is working normally then itā€™s just a charging or gear shift fault.
Thanks, Mach-Lee. I think this is what happened to me - gear shift fault. After shifting, got the malfunction notice, and power was indeed greatly reduced. Shut down and restarted after 15 min, and everything has been fine since.

Do you have a recommendation? Is it best to ignore this one-time failure, or should I get a "gear shift module" repair, like rohankumar here?
Just got a call back from my dealership and they stated a faulty part of the gear shift module needs to replaced.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thanks, Mach-Lee. I think this is what happened to me - gear shift fault. After shifting, got the malfunction notice, and power was indeed greatly reduced. Shut down and restarted after 15 min, and everything has been fine since.

Do you have a recommendation? Is it best to ignore this one-time failure, or should I get a "gear shift module" repair, like rohankumar here?
It's up to you, I'm a proponent of having your car fully updated, but I understand an occasional glitch might not be worth scheduling a dealer trip to some people.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It's up to you, I'm a proponent of having your car fully updated, but I understand an occasional glitch might not be worth scheduling a dealer trip to some people.
What would the dealer do if thereā€™s no TSB to update for?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
What would the dealer do if thereā€™s no TSB to update for?
I'm fairly certain he'll have a code in memory that will correspond to one of several GSM TSBs that have been published.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I'm fairly certain he'll have a code in memory that will correspond to one of several GSM TSBs that have been published.
rohankumar's dealer indicated "a faulty part of the gear shift module needs to replaced." You're thinking this is unlikely, and it's probably software instead? Thanks.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
rohankumar's dealer indicated "a faulty part of the gear shift module needs to replaced." You're thinking this is unlikely, and it's probably software instead? Thanks.
It's both. The software can be flashed on some models, but others have to be physically replaced depending on which batch the GSM came from. Your dealer will determine what's necessary per the TSB.
Sponsored