EV in a hurricane evacuation

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Sounds like Armageddan!!! Definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere near that ....in an EV or an ICE! So were the gas pumps working....even without electricity? Or do all stations have back up generators.... I thought they needed electricity as well? Seems like a lose....lose situation.
The pumps got up and working quicklyā€¦ā€¦. Almost everywhere.

In Sebring, where there was no electricity anywhere, people had to drive to get fuel or bring fuel in.

Gas stations are very high priority after a storm. For Ian, they had power the next day. Even though right now many people (including my family members) still donā€™t have electricity right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Gas stations are very high priority after a storm. For Ian, they had power the next day. Even though right now many people (including my family members) still donā€™t have electricity right now.
Gas stations on evacuation routes have been required to have backup generators since around 2006.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
We didnā€™t lose power with Ian, down for 3 days with Irma. Just got done cleaning all the tree trash off the roof. No signs of roof damage or leakage in the attic!! Biggest problem I had was a water pipe bursting during the storm but I think that was just a coincidence. My Wifeā€˜s biggest problem was no TV signal for the day after the storm! Lol

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
On a related subject I saw something on TV about a potential problem with the future of EV's with utility company trucks etc. They showed a parking area near Ft Myers with 100's of utility trucks ready to go out for restoration. Large gas stations require generators, but in a disaster such as a hurricane, there is no way to charge many vehicles/trucks fast. EV's are great but there is a long way to go.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
On a related subject I saw something on TV about a potential problem with the future of EV's with utility company trucks etc. They showed a parking area near Ft Myers with 100's of utility trucks ready to go out for restoration. Large gas stations require generators, but in a disaster such as a hurricane, there is no way to charge many vehicles/trucks fast. EV's are great but there is a long way to go.
But wait, theyā€™re power company trucks right? Electric trucks ā€¦. from the electric company ā€¦. Iā€™m thinking they could just clamp on to something, kind of like the old phone linemen had their little field dealer.

Todd44

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf, MME Select, Red, RWD ordered 3/17/22
Occupation
Software Developer Manager
Country flag
Sorry, but nope.

Again, the ENTIRE STATE evacuated.

Orlando got hurricane force winds and was without power for over a week.

There were ZERO hotels available in Orlando during Irma. The entire state population doesnā€™t fit in Orlandoā€¦ā€¦.

Your solutions arenā€™t solutions. Gotta send millions of people into Georgia to safely evacuate.

And even if everyone went to Orlando in their BEVsā€¦ā€¦. Again, no electricity for a week. How would they get home?

This is a real and serious infrastructure nightmare.

I donā€™t think we will ever have enough DC chargers in a scenario like Irma. Just not enough life boats on the Titanic.

Hopefully Florida will continue to have the insight that ā€œzero electric cars sold by 2035,ā€ will put people in danger.
Utter and complete bullshit. No reason to evacuate if you live inland, the ENTIRE STATE DOES NOT NEED TO EVACUATE. We ā€œevacuatedā€ 10 miles to my momā€™s house, which is newer and has less trees, literally no issue with Irma or Ian, or Charley, none. We did have an issue delivering generators to family in Ft Meyers, got there, but getting back required back roads and the need to get gas (took an hour and Karen kept butting in line), took 6 hours, due to road closures and the need to get gas. Most of the gas stations had huge lines, or were closed due to no deliveries, NOT A LACK OF POWER. charging stations were good to go since as we traveled from Ft Meyers to home (Dade City FL), power was on in most cities, a few places near Ft Meyers had no power, but as we moved up the state, power was on most everywhere on Friday. My brother in Orlando had power a few days after Ian. If anything, having a BEV IS better than an ICE on Friday after the storm.

Reactions: ARK

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Utter and complete bullshit. No reason to evacuate if you live inland, the ENTIRE STATE DOES NOT NEED TO EVACUATE. We ā€œevacuatedā€ 10 miles to my momā€™s house, which is newer and has less trees, literally no issue with Irma or Ian, or Charley, none. We did have an issue delivering generators to family in Ft Meyers, got there, but getting back required back roads and the need to get gas (took an hour and Karen kept butting in line), took 6 hours, due to road closures and the need to get gas. Most of the gas stations had huge lines, or were closed due to no deliveries, NOT A LACK OF POWER. charging stations were good to go since as we traveled from Ft Meyers to home (Dade City FL), power was on in most cities, a few places near Ft Meyers had no power, but as we moved up the state, power was on most everywhere on Friday. My brother in Orlando had power a few days after Ian. If anything, having a BEV IS better than an ICE on Friday after the storm.
Sorry, but youā€™re just thinking about Todd and not the entire population.

10 miles worked great for Todd because Todd had a nice safe family members house to go to.

Now multiply that time the 22 million people living and Florida and realize your solution doesnā€™t work for everyone.

To be fair, for Irma the entire state didnā€™t evacuate, but 6.8 million did. Guessing those 6.8 million didnā€™t have a moms house.

https://www.fl-counties.com/sites/default/files/2018-02/Evacuations Report.pdf

Ford Mustang Mach-E EV in a hurricane evacuation 93FC6EA1-AFCC-4B00-A5B6-F38DE712821A

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Glad it worked out for you but not so much for everybody.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okā€¦ā€¦ thatā€™s pretty scary.

Maybe people should at least move their EVs somewhere they wonā€™t get flooded with saltwater.

Notice theyā€™re all Teslas that caught fire?

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okā€¦ā€¦ thatā€™s pretty scary.

Maybe people should at least move their EVs somewhere they wonā€™t get flooded with saltwater.

Notice theyā€™re all Teslas that caught fire?
Lol Yes, pretty interesting isnā€™t it.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything to be LOLing about.
Sorry, it was just reference to Tesla but you are right, not at all a laughing matter.
Sponsored