EV's kill animals?

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
Anybody else notice that animals must not be able to hear the Mach E coming and basically don't react to impending death? I believe I demolished a sparrow the other day because the damn thing didn't move with plenty of lead time. Squirrels seem similar. You basically have to stop and honk before they even realize you're there.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Anybody else notice that animals must not be able to hear the Mach E coming and basically don't react to impending death? I believe I demolished a sparrow the other day because the damn thing didn't move with plenty of lead time. Squirrels seem similar. You basically have to stop and honk before they even realize you're there.
ICE vehicles and EVs above a certain speed all make about the same amount of road noise. All vehicles run over animals regardless of the amount of noise they make or don't.

It happens so often there's even a name for it. Roadkill.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I seriously doubt the mach-e, or any EV, is much quieter from the front (animal's perspective) than any modern ICE vehicle with a functional exhaust system going the same speed with the same tires. The majority of noise is not the motor, its the tires/road.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Deer will jump in front of a car blaring it's horn. They don't care, they think they own the place. They can go anywhere, anytime. Kings of the world is what they think. They do. They think that. Kings.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Oh wow, that explains it. Just yesterday I had to stop because a squirrel was eating something in the middle of the street. It was a side street so after a few minutes of just waiting there and inching up slowly, I was able to open my door to go chase it. That caused it to run away.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Oh wow, that explains it. Just yesterday I had to stop because a squirrel was eating something in the middle of the street. It was a side street so after a few minutes of just waiting there and inching up slowly, I was able to open my door to go chase it. That caused it to run away.
just go FASTER so your tires make more noise!

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Maybe, but at the same time, less noise might be beneficial to the animals, and us, as well. One of the off-beat benefits to Covid is that marine life is less hammered by the sound of giant boats running around in the ocean.

Often hard to say what is beneficial and not, kind of like the Tesla thread.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Deer will jump in front of a car blaring it's horn. They don't care, they think they own the place. They can go anywhere, anytime. Kings of the world is what they think. They do. They think that. Kings.
I paint headlights on all my hunting rounds… deer practically jump in front of them.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I've been driving an EV for five years and I've never noticed a difference. I always thought most animals have better hearing or or more sensitive to vibrations and things that would give them a head's up. And don't bird have eyes that are positioned on either side of their head so they have a wider range of vision to help see predators? (Or did I make that up?)