EZ-Pass transponder interference?

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
Is there a way to test placement to see if the readers can read it without, you know, stopping traffic?
someone from Texas said they went to the tolltag "store" and a person brought out a handheld scanner to determine the best place for the tag. it was to the left or right of the rearview mirror in the black spot.

Someone else has posted that a ford engineer has confirmed this location

Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The salesman indicated that they replaced the battery at the plant because they had put in the Focus battery which was part of the problem you were having @ChasingCoral . Not sure how accurate that is.
Um, what? I would recommend you stop listening to that salesman immediately.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No, it needs to be done at the dealership.
That's really disappointing. I wonder why? But great news and hope now you are done with new car issues!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That's really disappointing. I wonder why? But great news and hope now you are done with new car issues!
For this update they want to make sure the battery is being charged during the update process (plugging in an EVSE won't do) and they want to be able to run diagnostics to make sure it worked. Because this issue can cause the car to not start, Ford is being very careful!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I asked my dealership today to please make sure the software updates are done before I pick the car up tomorrow or Thursday. The salesman indicated that they replaced the battery at the plant because they had put in the Focus battery which was part of the problem you were having @ChasingCoral . Not sure how accurate that is.
In a word, No.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have my paperwork to get a new tag today, and will be taking a toll road this evening. I'll report back if the tag in the black area works or not.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
@ChasingCoral ....Just reading this and curious....was your MME part of this effected VIN list ? if so did you get any answer on if they missed this update at delivery? Or did this come out after your delivery. or your VIN was not part of this? Just curious.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
@ChasingCoral ....Just reading this and curious....was your MME part of this effected VIN list ? if so did you get any answer on if they missed this update at delivery? Or did this come out after your delivery. or your VIN was not part of this? Just curious.
IIRC 21B02 came out the day after I took delivery.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
PXL_20210216_182539360.jpg

I tested my SunPass this morning, in the above pictured location , and it worked. In the center behind the rear view mirror, it did not work. Hope this helps. By the way, for our storm plagued friends the blue is a clear view of the sky in Florida.
Has anyone confirmed if this placement works for the SunPass Mini as well?

Last edited:

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I got my new pass yesterday and tested it out in the dark area of the windshield and it does in fact work there. So I'd say that this is confirmed that it will only work in that area.

When I was putting my tag on yesterday, looking in that black area, around the outside edge you can actually kind of see the line where the iRR coating stops. I tried to get a pic of it but I don't know how well it turned out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EZ-Pass transponder interference? 20210224_210701_LI (2)

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I can't see a line, but basically just put the sticker anywhere in that black area and should be good? Is that your sticker at the top of that picture?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I can't see a line, but basically just put the sticker anywhere in that black area and should be good? Is that your sticker at the top of that picture?
Yeah its hard to see, but around where that blue arrow is pointing you can faintly see a line all the way across where its a little darker at the bottom.

And yes, The top is where I have the new sticker, And below the black is where I put it originally and haven't fully cleaned it off. This was where I had put it on all my other vehicles so It was my go-to spot.
Sponsored