First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I realize this is still pre-production. But now that we're seeing it at the factory, I'm super impressed that the outside of the vehicle remains nearly identical to the renderings shown on Ford's web site. I wasn't sure how much would change. I guess it still could change, but it just seems less likely now.

I think the only differences I've noticed so far are the front door pulls (as we've already discussed, maybe they aren't different; hard to tell), the cover for the front tow nut (or whatever that's called), and maybe the air vents above the front motor area (under the front hood).

Any other differences spotted so far?

I was hoping the windows would be factory tinted like they've shown on the other pre-production cars. So far so good, I think.

Also, most of the pre-pro car headlights looked sort of hacked together from two pieces. Now it looks like the front headlight case is finally one molded piece. (And also shown as one piece on the CA Rt. 1 car in Portland, I think.)

Can't wait to see the interior!
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I don't see hardly any differences from the outside. Not that I would really expect to, though, since most of that would be really hard to change quickly (body stamping and such). The interior probably has more tweaks and refinements.

The beauty of computer design. Amazing how well they can design and test things right on the computer without a fraction of the trial and error it took in the past.

It is exciting to see one that (reportedly) came out of the actual plant ours will be coming from. ?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I was hoping the windows would be factory tinted like they've shown on the other pre-production cars. So far so good, I think.
I can't find a good source on this (except the second answer here), but factory tint (really called privacy glass) was not allowed on cars, but only trucks and SUVs. I'm just speculating but maybe in the eyes of regulation it is still a passenger car. The C-max wasn't allowed to have it.

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
Since the car has the prototype door handles, it is not a production car. I was told the production car doorhandles will be different and be more like little a winglet

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since the car has the prototype door handles, it is not a production car. I was told the production car doorhandles will be different and be more like little a winglet
The passenger door on that silver one outside the plant looks to me like it has the winglet handle.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
When it comes to a front license plate, my state requires it. When I ordered my 2017 Mustang I instructed the dealer to NOT put the bracket on which is where the brackets get put on.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Production Mach-E Model? [Update: This Is First Assembly Line Made Pre-Production Unit] i-3whp5H3-L

You can see just under the blue Mustang logo a small sliver screw which is where I attach the license plate when not at a show. Here is the plate attached.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Production Mach-E Model? [Update: This Is First Assembly Line Made Pre-Production Unit] i-F8J8F5w-L

The Mach e does not have a nice lip to mount this bracket. Other removable license brackets can be attached below the lower grill. They can be damaged if you scrap the front though which is why I went with this one. I am hopping an after market product will come out for the Mach e. Because that bracket shown in the photos is UGLY! :eek:

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
I am hopping an after market product will come out for the Mach e. Because that bracket shown in the photos is UGLY! :eek:
The reason it looks so ugly is because Ford seems to have designed the bumper with European license plates in mind. One more sign that the European market is a priority for Ford regarding the Mach E.

European plates are wider and shorter. If you look at the recess on the bumper, you'll see it's much wider than the US plate and also much shorter. Overall, if you try to imagine an EU plate on there, it should look much, much better.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I have a JacFab license plate bracket for my '15 Camaro. It is made of black powder coated aluminum and mounts from underneath the front splitter, like below. It also includes an angle design that matches the angle of the nose. Here's hoping a machinist gets his / her hands on a Mach E to fab something similar!

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Production Mach-E Model? [Update: This Is First Assembly Line Made Pre-Production Unit] 1582563765955

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
I have a JacFab license plate bracket for my '15 Camaro. It is made of black powder coated aluminum and mounts from underneath the front splitter, like below. It also includes an angle design that matches the angle of the nose. Here's hoping a machinist gets his / her hands on a Mach E to fab something similar!

1582563765955.png
Yep since there's no openings on the front bumper of the Mach-E, nor a tow hook, aftermarket plate holders will likely be mounted like that from underneath the front bumper.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 21 MME GTPE, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
I still have the tow hook plate mount from my Golf R that I took off before I traded it in. Maybe I can modify it to work on my Mach E. I specifically told my dealer to not mount the plate holder on my 2015 GT and when I picked it up the holder was in a plastic bag where it still is to this day. I bet I have the same holder on my '15 that stmache has on his. It irritates me that the manufacturer solution to mounting a license plate is to have a hideous giant black plastic frame or to put holes in a perfectly good bumper! :mad:

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Production Mach-E Model? [Update: This Is First Assembly Line Made Pre-Production Unit] 132508_4147251353727_1195818448_o

Last edited:

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
From Facebook

“Right now at the plant we are about to begin the prototype phase, the manufacturing plant has already been tooling, ”said Marcos Pérez, director of product development for Ford Mexico.

More background:

"The photo's posted by Mark Eakin are indeed from the first Mustangs made on the assembly line (not hand-made). This can be seen by modifications to the frunk when compared to the hand made prototypes. And the handles to open the front doors have been changed (I already saw this announcement in some interview). First it was a bit like a "finger" sticking out (vulnerable?), now it is more like a wing that has to be grabbed from the top."

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Production Mach-E Model? [Update: This Is First Assembly Line Made Pre-Production Unit] 132508_4147251353727_1195818448_o

Translation: The first images of what appears to be one of the first production line produced units of Mustang Mach-E already circulate on social networks
So, I've downloaded the pic to try to get a better view of the door handles/wings. What am I missing that this pre-production model has has them changed? They look the same if not similar to me. Educate me!