Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
After searching around, I found instructions to create Siri Shortcuts to allow you to change stations on the SiriusXM app. Accessing the SiriusXM app via voice has been a pet peeve of mine, so I thought my problem was solved. I created shortcuts for my favorite stations, tested everything out on my iPhone. Everything worked perfectly. Got into my car this morning and said ā€œSiri Tune Alt Nationā€ (the shortcut to tune to the SiriusXM channel Alt Nation is named ā€œTune Alt Nationā€. Siri cheerfully responded that Iā€™d have to unlock my phone to do that but he didnā€™t recommend that I do that while driving. Ugh. Thank you Apple, may I have another? ?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
After searching around, I found instructions to create Siri Shortcuts to allow you to change stations on the SiriusXM app. Accessing the SiriusXM app via voice has been a pet peeve of mine, so I thought my problem was solved. I created shortcuts for my favorite stations, tested everything out on my iPhone. Everything worked perfectly. Got into my car this morning and said ā€œSiri Tune Alt Nationā€ (the shortcut to tune to the SiriusXM channel Alt Nation is named ā€œTune Alt Nationā€. Siri cheerfully responded that Iā€™d have to unlock my phone to do that but he didnā€™t recommend that I do that while driving. Ugh. Thank you Apple, may I have another? ?
Is there a reason you aren't using the SiriusXM built into the car? I've found the Sync 4A voice commands to be good at finding Sirus stations.

Does the same Siri shortcut work if you aren't in the car?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Is there a reason you aren't using the SiriusXM built into the car? I've found the Sync 4A voice commands to be good at finding Sirus stations.

better audio quality, and browsing stations for starters. Controls are bad on both though.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So why not unlock your phone? Or are you saying even if you unlock your phone, Siri will not work for you? I have CarPlay in all my vehicles and unlock my phone as soon as I get in so I can have Siri do things like "close the garage door" which works much better (and from anywhere) than my Homelink buttons.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Check your settings for CarPlay. There's something in there about using it with a locked phone.

This, however, may be some exception to that setting which Apple deemed was unsafe because they know better than you do.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Can you set your phone to be unlocked while connected to the car's Bluetooth? That's how you set stuff like that with Android.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Yes.
Yes (as stated earlier, I tested on my iPhone before going to the car).

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Can you set your phone to be unlocked while connected to the car's Bluetooth? That's how you set stuff like that with Android.
I thought about that and thatā€™s going to be my next experiment. Get in the car, unlock the phone, put it on the pad, drive away. The unknown in this case is whether the phone will relook after a while. By the way, at least in my case, my iPhone connects to sync via WiFi for CarPlay.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
better audio quality, and browsing stations for starters. Controls are bad on both though.
You also can access the SiriusXM Xtra stations. Those are only available through streaming.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Check your settings for CarPlay. There's something in there about using it with a locked phone.

This, however, may be some exception to that setting which Apple deemed was unsafe because they know better than you do.
Iā€™ll check the settings, and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Apple was ā€œdoing me a favorā€ ?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I thought about that and thatā€™s going to be my next experiment. Get in the car, unlock the phone, put it on the pad, drive away. The unknown in this case is whether the phone will relook after a while. By the way, at least in my case, my iPhone connects to sync via WiFi for CarPlay.
With Android, you can set your phone to remain unlocked while connected to designated Bluetooth or WiFi connections. Maybe apple has something similar?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You also can access the SiriusXM Xtra stations. Those are only available through streaming.
Did you check around under On Demand? Not sure if there are extra streaming stations under there, but I know there's a lot of Howard Stern streaming content there.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Did you check around under On Demand? Not sure if there are extra streaming stations under there, but I know there's a lot of Howard Stern streaming content there.
Howard hasn't been worth listening too since Billy West left.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
On demand is a different offering than Xtra

For example, thereā€™s 1st Wave Deep Cuts, 1st Wave Top 100, 80s to now Alt Rock, and of course, my PERSONAL FAVORITE, Rocking Country Music for your BBQ! (Yee Haw! ?)

Note: no offense is meant to any fans of Rock, country music, or BBQ ?