Advertisement

Ford battery recall update

OP

tex

Reaction score
Vehicles
65 a code mustang convert, 2013 BMW X1
Country flag
For people not familiar with EV batteries they are a lot more complex that your old 12V car battery, but the principles are the same - multiple "cells" ( a LOT more for EV battery pack) and they are electrically connected. Regardless of the exact battery supplier or style of lithium battery there are two production issues that can arise - defects in the battery itself, and defects in the interconnections. Either can lead to battery overheating and lithium can burn extremely hot, melting materials.

This link is a pretty simple one showing one Tesla style pack, but the concept is the same - a LOT of cells, interconnections and cooling.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...roach-vs-others-teardown-video-breaks-it-down

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Mach-E FE reserved, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Mustang sales to date 10,102,248.
Kuga 1,328,000

As Marsellus would say, I'm going to go prehistoric on him.
Over 40 million F-150s -- and it's going electric soon!

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Escape Titanium, 2021 Mustang Mach-E FE (Red)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Over 40 million F-150s -- and it's going electric soon!
I know this is being nitpicky, but I'd say it's adding some electric versions (hybrid and BEV). Most will still remain ICE for some time. But I do think the hybrid verson (Powerboost) could be a big seller.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Country flag
I know this is being nitpicky, but I'd say it's adding some electric versions (hybrid and BEV). Most will still remain ICE for some time. But I do think the hybrid verson (Powerboost) could be a big seller.
Agreed. I should have said
Over 40 million F-150s -- Hybrid now available and BEV coming soon (maybe PHEV?).

It would be great if they just switched over the F-150 to all BEVs but that's not happening anytime soon!

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would be great if they just switched over the F-150 to all BEVs but that's not happening anytime soon!
Yeah, no way they're doing that, maybe ever (unless batteries improve like 3 orders of magnitude or something). But I could see the hybrid eventually surpassing the ICE by the end of the decade.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric, Ford C-Max Energi, 1999 F250 PSD, 2000 F250 PSD, 1968 GTO, 1955 Bel Air
Occupation
Managet
Country flag
You could be right. I am waiting on my quote for 4 trucks with Powerboost. Not because it's hybrid but because it means I don't have to buy and carry a generator in the bed for my work crews. One less thing to fuel and maintain or get stolen is a good thing for our fleet needs.

Ford held an event here in town last week and the entire thing was powered by trucks with Powerboost. Tents, huge fans, cement mixers, blenders, coffee makers, laptops etc. They are very capable machines. Way different than having an inverter on board. Extremely impressive.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You could be right. I am waiting on my quote for 4 trucks with Powerboost. Not because it's hybrid but because it means I don't have to buy and carry a generator in the bed for my work crews. One less thing to fuel and maintain or get stolen is a good thing for our fleet needs.

Ford held an event here in town last week and the entire thing was powered by trucks with Powerboost. Tents, huge fans, cement mixers, blenders, coffee makers, laptops etc. They are very capable machines. Way different than having an inverter on board. Extremely impressive.
Exactly. I think it's a huge deal. Having that much onboard electric power for construction equipment and other uses opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Not only is it super convenient, it doesn't take up valuable space in the truck bed. It's also way quieter than a generator.

And when not needing to preserve the power for all those uses, it can be used to power the vehicle home too.

I think it's a real game-changer.

JamieGeek

Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Thor Axis, former C-Max Energi, former Focus Electric
Country flag
Exactly. I think it's a huge deal. Having that much onboard electric power for construction equipment and other uses opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Not only is it super convenient, it doesn't take up valuable space in the truck bed. It's also way quieter than a generator.

And when not needing to preserve the power for all those uses, it can be used to power the vehicle home too.

I think it's a real game-changer.
I'm hoping in the future Ford sells that powertrain in the F-53 or E-Series chassis. It would be huge for RV'ers not to have a generator on board.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm hoping in the future Ford sells that powertrain in the F-53 or E-Series chassis. It would be huge for RV'ers not to have a generator on board.
Even if they don't, it's already a boon to those who pull RV trailers.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
2035...be here before you know it.
Or 2043. Or 2072. Or 2107. It's all wild-ass guesses/wishes beyond the next 5-10 years.

Advertisement