AndyBl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
# 121,000 in line for Lighting
Thank you, using 6” walls so hopefully can make the 90 turn with the right conduit box.

So will have a 1” conduit hole in wall with 2/6 coming out.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Thank you, using 6” walls so hopefully can make the 90 turn with the right conduit box.

So will have a 1” conduit hole in wall with 2/6 coming out.
Again the issue is the access cover on the backside of the conduit body would not be accessible inside the finished wall. That would fail inspection. I don’t think conduit will work for a rear entry if you need to pass inspection.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes, you can drill the hole in the back.

If you want flush use romex and just have it stub out of the wall. Use a cable clamp in the conduit hole. The EVSE will act as the junction box. 40A setting with romex.

Can’t make the 90° bend in the wall legally with conduit and have it accessible. MC cable might be another option if you can bend it sharp enough in the wall.
MC is the best option since it will allow #6 wire instead of #4 Romex. With 6” studs, I think the bend works, but I haven’t checked.
Another option is to run smaller wire and set the DIP switches to an appropriately lower setting.

AndyBl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MC is the best option since it will allow #6 wire instead of #4 Romex. With 6” studs, I think the bend works, but I haven’t checked.
Another option is to run smaller wire
Again the issue is the access cover on the backside of the conduit body would not be accessible inside the finished wall. That would fail inspection. I don’t think conduit will work for a rear entry if you need to pass inspection.
Thinking I have two options:

A) called building inspector this morning and I can leave the wire loose. Ready to put in back of charger. As long as the other side of the wire is NOT hooked up to the 220 box.

B) does anyone know the dimensions of the inside of the mounting bracket? I can use a box a little smaller than this, then put a cover over it for now.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station installation - DIY instructions writeup D34D2170-0D2E-4FF8-BAD1-45A00A2A156E

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Thinking I have two options:

A) called building inspector this morning and I can leave the wire loose. Ready to put in back of charger. As long as the other side of the wire is NOT hooked up to the 220 box.

B) does anyone know the dimensions of the inside of the mounting bracket? I can use a box a little smaller than this, then put a cover over it for now.
I asked the same question a year and a half ago. This thread has the best info. Post 373. I popped the beauty cover off of mine and the mountain bracket measures approximately 8-1/2” W x 7” H. I can’t get to the opening to measure it.

AndyBl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well hoping this is the correct answer.

B38886BD-32AE-475D-9C9A-F9A23C4193DF.jpeg

hook13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I'm installing my charger later this week. I'm going to run 6/3 UFB, and will run it from my box around the corner of the house and straight into where I'll mount the charger in the garage. I was thinking about putting 18-24 deep, do I need to run conduit or just where it goes underground? I'm confused on that whole part....would it just be 1 inch PVC or what would I use to bring it underground then back up and into the garage? would this be what I'd use to make the 90 degree angle to bring it in? https://www.menards.com/main/electr...onduit-body/e986gr/p-1444444970422-c-9538.htm any guidance is appreciated, I've got the ditch digging part down as well as the electrical connections (60 amp breaker to run at 48)

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I'm installing my charger later this week. I'm going to run 6/3 UFB, and will run it from my box around the corner of the house and straight into where I'll mount the charger in the garage. I was thinking about putting 18-24 deep, do I need to run conduit or just where it goes underground? I'm confused on that whole part....would it just be 1 inch PVC or what would I use to bring it underground then back up and into the garage? would this be what I'd use to make the 90 degree angle to bring it in? https://www.menards.com/main/electr...onduit-body/e986gr/p-1444444970422-c-9538.htm any guidance is appreciated, I've got the ditch digging part down as well as the electrical connections (60 amp breaker to run at 48)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Connected Charge Station installation - DIY instructions writeup QID10336_large

UF-B has to be buried at least 24" deep with no conduit. 18" deep with PVC the whole way. Wire needs to be in PVC where it goes down into the ground and comes back up again.

Yes, use a conduit body to make the turn into the wall.

You may also consider going bigger and installing a 60-100 amp sub panel in your garage to allow for future expansion or multiple EV chargers. You don't want to dig the trench twice so think carefully about if you will have a second EV in the future.

hook13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Extremely helpful, thank you-

I have a cybertruck reserved (who knows if it'll ever appear) or will be getting an electric ram truck in a few years. I thought we'd just charge both vehicles from the single charger if the cord reaches (hoping it does with my positioning)......So 1 inch PVC schedule 80 would be the right size? I think 24 inches won't be a problem so it will just be the in and out groud.....it's a 20 foot underground run I think- dumb question, but how far from the foundation should I bury it? I have cable / electric about 2.5 feet out, so to keep this away is 12 inches OK? Thanks again!

ESFrank

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E premium
Country flag
Would you know the dip switch settings for a newer Ford 48 amp charger? Mine has 6 DIP switch settings rather than 5. I am needing settings for a 30 amp breaker. Thank you
Sponsored