Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The cost for a totally new platform vehicle, not a style or trim change, is very expensive. Most manufacturers don't turn a profit on new vehicles for a few years. That is why you're more likely to see facelifts and small changes year over year than all new.

The cost of the battery pack-98kWh times $115 per kW(?) equals=$11,270. Largest expense of EV's?
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I emailed my preferences and just reordered the list from best to worst, with best option being the free charging hardware, assuming we're talking the home charging station.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The cost for a totally new platform vehicle, not a style or trim change, is very expensive. Most manufacturers don't turn a profit on new vehicles for a few years. That is why you're more likely to see facelifts and small changes year over year than all new.

The cost of the battery pack-98kWh times $115 per kW(?) equals=$11,270. Largest expense of EV's?
While I am sure it wasn't cheap doing the about turn redesign, I concur that the largest cost I can see is for the batteries, not the the platform as it seeing as it is an offshoot of the c2 platform a large percentage of those c2 costs are surely being absorbed by the development of the focus / escape after all the whole point of adaptable platforms it to reduce costs rather than to increase them.

I can see fords dilemma on needing to be competitive, the vehicle was originally expected to be out by now with first adopters happy and the need for incentives minimal. However there are more BEV vehicles on the horizon now and people are going to start comparing costs, anyone that was looking at a select trim is probably now looking at an id.4 that can be purchased cheaper and also has 3 years free EA charging as a bonus.

Incentives can always be tricky as EA charging, ford pass and wall chargers while beneficial to some are not beneficial to all where as bottom line always is, so while lowering the msrp looks bad ford should just resort to typical ford and offer cash incentives, as always happens with ford.

I don't expect to see 5+k in incentives as can be found on the ecosport, as unlike the ecosport which is truly woeful (needs to be replaced with the puma asap) the mach-e is more desirable however in the current financial climate desirable is only going to go so far with potential customers.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Ok so in Canada the lease for the MY is 720$ with 5250$ down 48months. If I take the Mach E Premium AWD with same initial deposit same 48month term i get 946$. Now for those of you saying that the free charger is great, A charger can be had for 600cdn so 400us$ plus not everyone can install one or some already have one.
220$ over 48 months is 10000$. Im not expecting Ford to drop the price by 10k$ because Tesla doesnt offer a buy back. So if you want tp compete with Tesla you have to undercut there initial lease price. No choice. but how do you compete. Considering this is a new car and there might be issues, Ford could give the first 3 months free and market it as Welcome to Ev package. I'd like to see them offer a better rate than 3.49%. I'd like to see them offer a 2000$ accesory credit which you could use for tires, mats, charger, hitch.. whatever you want market it as an EV starting package. And then give everyone access to X plan. I think if you do this you're pretty close to the 10k difference. One more thing you can do is anybody trading in a gasoline car for the EV, whatever the car is worth, they will add another 20% to the value because Ford cares about the planet and wants u to help you reduce emissions type of deal. I think these are all offers that would make Ford stand out and make ppl want to consider the Mach E over the competition.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bottom line -- If we believe what we're being told (that demand for the MME is very strong and they're nearly all committed to customers already), then there's no reason for Ford to offer major discounts/promos. Basic supply and demand economics.

It might be a different story for the 2022's if there's more supply and less demand, but with only 50k 2021's (supposedly only 20k for NA), it appears they're selling just fine at full price.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think for many theyre expecting pricing that falls in line with the Model Y. There are many that will cancel there orders if its much more expensive than the Y. Many went in thinking the price would actually be cheaper than the Y and then Tesla went and cut the price.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think for many theyre expecting pricing that falls in line with the Model Y. There are many that will cancel there orders if its much more expensive than the Y. Many went in thinking the price would actually be cheaper than the Y and then Tesla went and cut the price.
Could be. The actual sales coming up over the next half year will determine whether they have to cut the price or offer big incentives. If they're getting a lot of cancellations and MMEs are piling up unsold on dealer lots, then they'll have to discount it.

But my guess is that's not gonna happen. There's a lot of buzz about the vehicle, and probably other customers willing to replace those that cancel. Especially in this honeymoon period at the beginning. Thousands have been waiting with baited breath to finally get theirs.

But after the honeymoon wave, it could be a different matter.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could be. The actual sales coming up over the next half year will determine whether they have to cut the price or offer big incentives. If they're getting a lot of cancellations and MMEs are piling up unsold on dealer lots, then they'll have to discount it.

But my guess is that's not gonna happen. There's a lot of buzz about the vehicle, and probably other customers willing to replace those that cancel. Especially in this honeymoon period at the beginning. Thousands have been waiting with baited breath to finally get theirs.

But after the honeymoon wave, it could be a different matter.
This is usually the normal way to do things but I think in this case, because you are going up against tesla, price match, whatever Tesla is selling the Y at match it or slightly undercut, like 50$ on the lease anf finance . Make the cars limited. Give maybe 1 small incentive, and thats it. Make the car limited run but you have to price match. It cannot be more expensive than the Y.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Make the car limited run but you have to price match. It cannot be more expensive than the Y.
Unless people like it better than the Y and are willing to pay more to get it. And the sales figures will tell them that.

Even though the MME and the Y are in the same basic vehicle class, and overlap many features, there are also significant differences. Differences that are likely worth a few $thousand more to some people.

For instance, I know I wouldn't buy a Y even if it were 10% cheaper, mostly because I don't care for the looks.

bprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red AWD
Country flag
Unless people like it better than the Y and are willing to pay more to get it. And the sales figures will tell them that.

Even though the MME and the Y are in the same basic vehicle class, and overlap many features, there are also significant differences. Differences that are likely worth a few $thousand more to some people.

For instance, I know I wouldn't buy a Y even if it were 10% cheaper, mostly because I don't care for the looks.
The only major feature that I’d be missing is CarPlay. As much as I want CarPlay and dislike the MY catfish lights, it’s not worth a $10-15k over the life of the car difference IMO.
Ford doesn’t have a choice but to either drop the price of the car - which is unlikely - or introduce steep cash back/rebate (or APR) offers. No question about it.
Otherwise I’ll be in a MY so fast! I’m not loyal to anything but my pocketbook.

I’ll pay more for what I want, but momma didn’t raise no fool!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think hes spesking in relation to the higher interest rates
Could be. I haven't looked at the loan rates or leasing rates. I just look at the cash purchase price.

But I'd be surprised if any discount that Tesla is offering that Ford isn't is worth $10k-$15k.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If the Mach-E is too expensive for you for whatever reason, don't buy it. I'm not sure there's a lot of point in debating back and forth if it's "worth" the price or not because it costs what it costs.
Sponsored