Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Version 1.5.0

Made a few improvements this afternoon, including a new feature!

VIN Barcode Tool
I added a tool to generate a barcode for your VIN Number if you already have it. No need to go through all the steps in the "Find my VIN" tool.

Better Error Handling
The "Find My VIN" tool wasn't showing errors when the JSON data didn't contain the `VIN` field in the expected place. An error message will now display, instead of a blank modal.

Minor Style Changes
As this moves to being a multi-tool, I reorganized the codes to a multi-view app.
Awesome! Thanks.
Sponsored

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Version 1.5.0

Made a few improvements this afternoon, including a new feature!

VIN Barcode Tool
I added a tool to generate a barcode for your VIN Number if you already have it. No need to go through all the steps in the "Find my VIN" tool.

Better Error Handling
The "Find My VIN" tool wasn't showing errors when the JSON data didn't contain the `VIN` field in the expected place. An error message will now display, instead of a blank modal.

Minor Style Changes
As this moves to being a multi-tool, I reorganized the codes to a multi-view app.
Worked for me. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the tool and the detailed instructions!!

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
Worked for me. You did a great job building this and especially ELI5!
Thank you! And thank you for the comment on the thread. As I said before, I didn't include analytics for better privacy, so direct communication is the only way I know the tool is being used and working.

I try to find all the ways to reduce the complexity, but the way it's engineered required quite a few steps to take. Since it's something you need to do only once, I figured the hoops are enough to jump.

These steps are normal for a front-end developer like me, but could easily be exploited if I was asking to execute code in the console. Which is why I didn't explore the "copy and hit enter this line" for the tool. For example, if you open these tools on Facebook, you're greeted with this:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Mach-E Reservation Details Viewer Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 8.03.08 PM

Honestly, the real fix is Ford including the VIN on the site, but here we are. ??‍♂

OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not calling this a full release yet as I have a lot of design work I want to do. But I figure I'd give a teaser to a new viewer for the Ford Vehicle Tracking.

https://seg.fyi/mache-vin/#/details

Feedback needed on:
  • Dates!
    If I did this right, I have normalized dates to your timezone. You shouldn't see "Feb 19th" when the value of the field is "Feb 20th"
  • Other stages of cars.
    I'm going by my VIN and two others that were resales of abandoned orders I got from the forums. If things are super weird, let me know.
I've used this to streamline when I check the status of my Mach-E (I have a delivery window!). It gets me the dates quicker and easier to read.

Unlike all the other parts of the web app, this will contact one outside server: The Ford Vehicle Tracking endpoint. I would hope that would be obvious, but worth mentioning. Still no analytics by me, so likes and comments on this thread are the only way I know people are using it.

photocyclist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
I'm not calling this a full release yet as I have a lot of design work I want to do. But I figure I'd give a teaser to a new viewer for the Ford Vehicle Tracking.

Feedback needed on:
  • Dates!
    If I did this right, I have normalized dates to your timezone. You shouldn't see "Feb 19th" when the value of the field is "Feb 20th"
  • Other stages of cars.
    I'm going by my VIN and two others that were resales of abandoned orders I got from the forums. If things are super weird, let me know.
I've used this to streamline when I check the status of my Mach-E (I have a delivery window!). It gets me the dates quicker and easier to read.

Unlike all the other parts of the web app, this will contact one outside server: The Ford Vehicle Tracking endpoint. I would hope that would be obvious, but worth mentioning. Still no analytics by me, so likes and comments on this thread are the only way I know people are using it.

When I test it - The Transit Date appears as "Invalid Date". Maybe you've coded it to be formatted as a date? It's a number. ie 33. But the top of the page is giving my estimated number of days til delivery.

Curious - are you able to replace the VIN with any other searchable attributes that appear in the RAW data? Say dealerURL or dealerName? We could see whats coming in to a particular dealer and get dibs on cancellations. :)

Barno

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag

Feedback needed on:
  • Dates!
  • Other stages of cars.

. You just brightened up a rainy day on Lawn Guyland! Works! Thanks!

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
When I test it - The Transit Date appears as "Invalid Date". Maybe you've coded it to be formatted as a date? It's a number. ie 33. But the top of the page is giving my estimated number of days til delivery.
Fixed!

In my defense, a field named `transitDate` should work the same as `shipmentDate` or `productionDate`. This project makes me happy for my coworkers on backend at my day job. They'll work with me for a consistent data and naming endpoints…

Curious - are you able to replace the VIN with any other searchable attributes that appear in the RAW data? Say dealerURL or dealerName? We could see whats coming in to a particular dealer and get dibs on cancellations. :)
Nope. The endpoint used will take in only one value of one VIN number.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag

Still no analytics by me, so likes and comments on this thread are the only way I know people are using it.

I imagine for someone with your skills it may not have been terribly difficult, however, your work certainly did and will smooth the transfer of information for so many people.

Thank you for putting this together [and the previous version—I probably account for 12,000 of its 82,000 page views.]

I tried entering my VIN in this version without capitalizing the letters. Your previous tracker didn’t care, but this new version didn’t like the lowercase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheSeg

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
Country flag
I imagine for someone with your skills it may not have been terribly difficult, however, your work certainly did and will smooth the transfer of information for so many people.
Thank you! Basically this started with my frustration that the VIN number is sent down the wire to the customer, but not displayed. Wanted to share what's already sent down and in some cases data dealers wouldn't give (my dealer's been great!).

Thank you for putting this together [and the previous version—I probably account for 12,000 of its 82,000 page views.]
I'm not sure if you implied this, but to be clear: I'm not the same person that developed FordTracker dot tech.

I tried entering my VIN in this version without capitalizing the letters. Your previous tracker didn’t care, but this new version didn’t like the lowercase letters.
Thanks for letting me know! I just posted an update. Now the input will accept lowercase characters, though the appearance and what's sent to the Ford endpoint will convert to uppercase.

CaptHal

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKT, 2021 Mach e Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just ordered mine last week. Dealer said 8-10 weeks for delivery. That sound about right now?
Sponsored