Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I can’t speak to the NJ tax credit (I thought people in NJ were upset that it went away?), but the federal tax credit is not upfront, you use it to reduce taxes for 2021 when you file in April 2022.

If you go with Options, make the best guess for your mileage. If you’re wrong and drive way more, you can just buy the car to avoid any mileage penalties. And I can’t speak to Ford personally, but even if you exceed the mileage by a bit, lots of car companies waive the penalty if you get another car with them.

As for the tech, just because Ford will work with Google in the future doesn’t mean they will drop support for our vehicles. Anyway, separate from the infotainment, battery tech is advancing very fast and for that reason, a quasi-lease in the form of Options might be a better bet here then with non-electric cars as today’s electrics may be really behind electrics released for the 2025 model year.

I’m planning on going with Options on a 4 year term.
Thanks @ARK & @jhalkias. I have been worried about the tech changes that will undoubtedly be coming. Had decided to just hope for the best. However, four years seems about right on the options. Maybe I will do the same. God, I hate name "Balloon Payment". It just sounds like it is going to get bigger and bigger. I digress.

If I get bigger milage, does the balloon note go down, since I am paying more per month?
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If I get bigger milage, does the balloon note go down, since I am paying more per month?
That’s my understanding, that you are front loading the depreciation in the initial years by telling Ford you will be driving it more. The flip side is like you suggested a lower residual meaning a smaller balloon payment for you.

Blanked

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE , 2003 Ford Excursion EB 4x4
Country flag
For the ceramic paint protection (4yr warranty) and PPF on the bumper, hood, mirrors and doors - the total was roughly $1700.
Who is doing the PPF and the Brand? I keep getting told that "We don't have the Templates for the PPF"... ugg

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I plan on buying the car, but plan on using options. I drive about 32,000 miles a year. Why Options?

Overall, the cost is about the same with the $2,500 Ford Cash in my area on options even with the higher interest rate (about $400 more over 48 months for me). I will have lower payments, and just invest the difference on my own so I can pay the balloon payment at the end of 4 years (or refinance depending on the borrowing market).

I may also take advantage of what @hybrid2bev said will be a "one time" adjustment to put the $7500 Federal tax credit next year down on the car to lower my payments even more.

I'm not worried about my mileage since I am buying the car anyway, and doing back of the napkin math will probably opt for the payment at 15,000 annual miles that is a medium between the highest and lowest monthly payment - although I did think about the lowest too.

I don't know how that works with your upfront money - I am planning on putting about 10-15% down when I buy.
I’m considering exactly this for same reasons. I also have mileage over 30k non-covid. But if I absolutely want to buy it, I’m considering it the lowest mileage option. I do like the option to walk away though as a small possibility (better batteries, cars, bad value, etc.).

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Who is doing the PPF and the Brand? I keep getting told that "We don't have the Templates for the PPF"... ugg
They shouldn't necessarily need templates. I contacted a detailer near me and they hand cut everything using Suntek (granted I'm sure the cost is greater).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I finally decided to buy the MME rather than options. Trading my car in for 12,500, plus the 7500 fed and still hoping for $5K from NJ. Not sure how options would work with all that upfront money. Plus, I can't plan my milage. Pre-covid I was 23K a year. Not sure how much I will be able to stay home, no days, maybe once a week, twice? But, now Ford drops this Google bombshell and I don't know why they can't say they will support the MME with it. Just saying we will support apple car play doesn't cut it. I have been driving with an outdated operating system for many years, and I was looking forward to a modern and upgradable system. Is there anyway to make options work with my situation? Car coming in 2 ½ weeks.
Neither the NJ rebate nor the fed tax incentive apply as a downpayment, only the $12500 for your car. As long as that plus the $2500 options incentive cash is not over 30% then you are good. So, as long as the MSRP is $50,000 you are fine. The mileage is a different matter, although you can buy additional miles beyond 19500/yr up front and if you don't use them you can get a refund.

I don't know all the details about that, but @hybrid2bev has posted about it previously so I'd look at his posts.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Thanks @ARK & @jhalkias. I have been worried about the tech changes that will undoubtedly be coming. Had decided to just hope for the best. However, four years seems about right on the options. Maybe I will do the same. God, I hate name "Balloon Payment". It just sounds like it is going to get bigger and bigger. I digress.

I keep thinking about the Simpson's episode where he finances the giant pickup truck that he clearly can't afford. The finance manager is walking him through the loan: "This is your monthly payment. This is your weekly payment. This is your daily payment. And this is your CBP."
"What's that?"
"That's the Crippling Balloon Payment."
"But that's not for awhile yet, right?"

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m considering exactly this for same reasons. I also have mileage over 30k non-covid. But if I absolutely want to buy it, I’m considering it the lowest mileage option. I do like the option to walk away though as a small possibility (better batteries, cars, bad value, etc.).
I am not a leasing expert, but if you are paying for 15k miles and drive post covid more than that, you won't be able to walk away, unless you pay for the overage on miles, right?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yikes! Isn't there a PPF place closer than South America? :cool:
(Being facetious, I used to live in that town with a slightly different spelling between Ellicott City and Laurel).
Oops. You caught my misspelling (or the mis-autocorrect). Yes, Columbia.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I am not a leasing expert, but if you are paying for 15k miles and drive post covid more than that, you won't be able to walk away, unless you pay for the overage on miles, right?
Correct. But if you’re buying it regardless it doesn’t matter.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't figure out how to compare Option numbers. If I go to financing on the Ford site, they don't have MMEs to price/option. Does anyone know where I can go to get the different monthly payments based on deposit, milage and term, plus determine the final balloon payment?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was leaning toward Xpel but the Ceramic Pro shop does Suntek. In either case I think they are awaiting templates.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
correct - you would have to pay the additional mileage fee if you turn the car in.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I can't figure out how to compare Option numbers. If I go to financing on the Ford site, they don't have MMEs to price/option. Does anyone know where I can go to get the different monthly payments based on deposit, milage and term, plus determine the final balloon payment?
go to the mach-e page, click "configure your mach-e", select the model and battery, and then in the upper right click the little calculator.