Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
What would totally cure range anxiety for me would be lines of chargers at gas stations along most routes. Not malls, not parking lots, not car dealers, GAS STATIONS! Stop as you normally would for gas, burn 15 minutes and go. What I wonder about is when there are more and more electric cars on the road in the coming years, will it be as easy to drive up to an available charger, or will there always be a wait for a free one. As it stands, people use the ones at garages and malls etc, as parking spaces and never leave. The gas station model would help with that problem somewhat.
As an old guy, I find that a long journey requires bio breaks every few hours, and I'd rather not have to use a gas station bathroom when better, cleaner alternatives could be available. As a fat guy, I also would like to eat something other than gas station hot dogs. Since EV's take so long to charge, I'd like to kill 2 birds with one stone and multiplex bio breaks and eating with those charging stops. Having chargers in shopping plazas near restaurants and clean bathroom facilities accomplishes that, whereas standalone corner gas stations does not.

So, my preference is NOT at gas stations. I don't think I'm alone in the point of view
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Nissan and Toyota already started moving away from cars that's why they have all those crossovers, they just haven't reduced the lineup yet but it's coming
correct they are now. Sit in a meeting with Nissan and ford. They looked into partnership before ford decided not to and Nissan went to general motors. They brought up they should of reduced car manufacturing 40% 5 years ago.
Ford started before the rest and people were like no cars ford is crazy. Now fords portfolio is reduced and can make the gains from the moves years past.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Yeah, I think the scary part of all this is that I would guess that electric cars are going to mean that sedans are coming back, which puts ford in a weird spot. There’s never going to be a world in electrification where sedans are not more efficient. The form factor is inherently more aerodynamic.

If we end up getting batteries that have such high energy density that makes it irrelevant, I can maybe understand it where SUVs are dominant, But for a lot of fleet applications and in a world fighting climate change and that doesn’t have an overabundance of electricity, the efficiency of the sedans are going to be important both for range and overall electricity consumption, meaning they have a real place. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford ends up having to revert and make a sedan EV at some point.
Yup - some good points there - personally I dont prefer sedans due to low ground clearance and importantly lower entry and exit heights - just not comfortable for me. But there is definitely a scenario as you describe that can play out.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
For the record, if ford didn't make the Mache I myself would be driving a Tesla, just model X. Tesla owned the EV world, now the playing field is getting leveled. Tesla has a race against time to keep the edge they had.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Already in talks to bring two new cars into the fold by 2025
I'll put a deposit in today if one of them is an electric mustang convertible coupe

Last edited:

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
Even if they gave it a 100kWh battery and it went 600 miles from a 10-90% charge cheaper than everyone, I still wouldn't buy a Tesla. I used to want one but too many bumpers, tail lights, and roofs falling off for me. Tesla is dead to me until they can make a whole car for 2-3 years straight.
Preach!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
. While some reprehensible posts--say posts that demean and objectify women--are left un-challenged.
Please point to these demeaning posts so they can be addressed and so we can shun their authors.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Again I Don't know how to tell you this. Your not getting that range they are saying driving. Drive model 3 many times. never got anywhere close to 300 miles of range. There are other people on here who own a tesla also. The range of tesla puts on their website is misleading.
I own a Model Y performance which was rated at 280 miles range when I bought it. that equates to 270 wh/mi.

Am I getting rated range on average? Of course not. I drive with a lead foot and I drive to the mountains, I drive on the beach, I haul ass through twisty corners. And yet my average efficiency after over 7000 miles is 91% of rated range. That is by far, hands down, the closest any car I have ever owned has come to rated range.

I drive from Camas, WA to Stevenson, WA on a regular basis. The road is through the entrance to the Columbia River Gorge and is VERY hilly and windy. Highway 14 is heavily patrolled so I set the cruise at 60 mph--55 is the speed limit. I drive a few miles in town to get there with a few stoplights, but the vast majority of the drive is two lane highway with no stop signs or traffic lights. I regularly exceed the rated EPA range on this drive by 12%.

So no, I do not find Tesla's range numbers misleading. One Caveat: I run my tire pressure at 45 psi. Many run it at 39 psi which results in a substantial range penalty. 42 psi is recommended, but I find 45 psi to result in a firmer, more controlled ride while improving efficiency.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Range Increase Coming? 20201016_105751
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Range Increase Coming? Stevenson WA