Melancholy1980

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD Ice White
Country flag
It seems that the 2023 AWD ER Premium is going from 277 to 290 miles of range. Has anyone heard if Ford indicated how they’re achieving this? If it’s hardware versus software? Trying to figure out if my 2022 may get updated at some point to gain the additional range.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Our 2021 AWD ER Premium has consistently gotten over 290 miles of range. It probably depends on how you drive it?
I believe OP is referring to the stated range on the Ford website, which says "Targeted EPA-Est. Range". He's wondering if Ford updated the size of the battery, or freed up more of it. Has nothing to do with how anyone drives it.

OP
OP
Melancholy1980

Melancholy1980

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD Ice White
Country flag
I believe OP is referring to the stated range on the Ford website, which says "Targeted EPA-Est. Range". He's wondering if Ford updated the size of the battery, or freed up more of it. Has nothing to do with how anyone drives it.
Correct. The capacity is the same, 91kwh. So the increase suggests to me that they made changes to vehicles weight or battery technology. Or there is some software update that exists for 2023 that we have not got yet.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The 2022 got a usable battery capacity increase of 3 KWH over the 2021 via a reduction of built-in buffers. Pretty sure that thee is no increase for the 2023 in usable capacity, so there must have been a change in how they’re rating the guesstimates on range. The estimated range is totally unimportant. What is important is the efficiency you achieve (miles per KWH). 😊🐩

hb45

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Ext AWD, Dark Mater Grey
Country flag
The 2022 got a usable battery capacity increase of 3 KWH over the 2021 via a reduction of built-in buffers. Pretty sure that thee is no increase for the 2023 in usable capacity, so there must have been a change in how they’re rating the guesstimates on range. The estimated range is totally unimportant. What is important is the efficiency you achieve (miles per KWH). 😊🐩
That last part of your statement is incorrect in my opinion, the EPA estimated range gives you a comparison given everything is the same. If the increase is the extra 3 KWH then that is the explanation, but I thought the 2022 had that released as well. So it just begs the question, has anything else changed. They were talking about removing a cooling pump to save weight….

I understand the actual mileage achieved is all about how you drive and the condition, but that is my opinion so I am sure other people have their own.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Regardless of how they rate it....the most important thing is how you drive. Very hard to resist pushing it hard. That instant torque can be addictive. I do best if wife is with me. Usually about 3.3 m/kw with her vs about 2.9 m/kw without her. I wonder if Ford rates its projected mileage with or without a wife in the car......;)

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I would bet money that this range "increase" is on paper only. A good example is how they made heated seats standard on the Lightning and then used that to increase the winter range drive cycle, thereby increasing the overall range rating.

It may be that they didn't apply this methodology to the Mach-E before, but are now. Thus, the Select range stays the same and the Premium (with standard heated seats) goes up. GT has standard heated seats too, but they probably felt more comfortable leaving it where it is.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Regardless of how they rate it....the most important thing is how you drive. Very hard to resist pushing it hard. That instant torque can be addictive. I do best if wife is with me. Usually about 3.3 m/kw with her vs about 2.9 m/kw without her. I wonder if Ford rates its projected mileage with or without a wife in the car......;)
Driving Wife friendly is very important and I think the EPA needs to consider that as well!!! Lol

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
That last part of your statement is incorrect in my opinion, the EPA estimated range gives you a comparison given everything is the same. If the increase is the extra 3 KWH then that is the explanation, but I thought the 2022 had that released as well. So it just begs the question, has anything else changed. They were talking about removing a cooling pump to save weight….
<SNIP>
Yes, as I said, the change of +3 KWH took place for the 2022. There are no major changes from 2022 to 2023 other than some decontenting, price increases, and changes to the spectrum of grey they’re offering. None of these will have an appreciable effect on the car’s actual range. 🤷‍♂️🐩

With respect to the EPA “standardized” rating, it it anything but standard. The EPA allows manufacturers to rate using one of two methods, which is why some EVs attain something close to their estimated range and others fall very short. Added to this, manufacturers’ claims based on the methods can fall within a somewhat acceptable number of the weighted calculations, including numbers based on real-world results (which is what I suspect is going on for the MME - Ford is cherry-picking some favorable data and using it to revise). EV range ratings are nothing like EPA estimated MPG ratings for ICE cars. The EPA will get there, but they will need to re-think and tweak until the ratings are truly standard. 🤔🐩

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Jes sayin. Never “fret” over EPA numbers or their methods. We saw what VW did to diesel emissions testing. It is a witches brew of legal goo and it means nothing. The thing to go bitch about is the five second limit. I could care less about some guesstimated fantasy EPA number but I do want to be able to hit the blocks at the light and leave model Y eating my electrons. For 20 seconds if needed. It’s my car. I paid for a throttle I manage

Jes frickin sayin.
Sponsored