David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I am glad the MME will get the rated range in the winter with the heat on....good to know. BTW, does your dad take his ICE car back if he does not get the rated EPA MPG? My dad does not, he understands driving style affects range (aka mileage) ;)
I remember a while ago and Alex on auto‘s radio said that full AC on the model Y used about 3 to 4 kWh. On the bright side, with our larger pack the efficiency of the AC doesn’t go down that much compared the heat pump, so we can get more heating and cooling with less impact to range.

for me, I’m glad they haven’t announced the range yet, I hope they use the extra time to polish it up a little bit more.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I am glad the MME will get the rated range in the winter with the heat on....good to know. BTW, does your dad take his ICE car back if he does not get the rated EPA MPG? My dad does not, he understands driving style affects range (aka mileage) ;)
He is 82 to old for the EV market. The regen braking would drive him up a wall.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What would totally cure range anxiety for me would be lines of chargers at gas stations along most routes. Not malls, not parking lots, not car dealers, GAS STATIONS! Stop as you normally would for gas, burn 15 minutes and go. What I wonder about is when there are more and more electric cars on the road in the coming years, will it be as easy to drive up to an available charger, or will there always be a wait for a free one. As it stands, people use the ones at garages and malls etc, as parking spaces and never leave. The gas station model would help with that problem somewhat.
I would agree if it only took 5 minutes to refuel.

But since ABRP shows most of the refuels on the road trips I contemplate taking require 30+ minute refuels, I'd like something more than a gas station with a bathroom and lottery tickets at the counter.

Of course, if it's a restaurant or store that ALSO happens to have gas pumps out front (or close by), then great.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Ford knew what they were doing. The MME is about as close to a sedan as many will even consider IMO. And it's not a sedan.
Bingo. Not too big, not too small. For many it will be just right. Excellent marketing decision by Ford.

What I find ironic is that when I grew up, most sedans were a lot bigger than the Mach-e; it would have been considered a small sedan. Very small. People's needs didn't really change, cars just got smaller when most people want or need more space.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
With gas prices down, people can drive whatever and not worry MPG. If gas prices go up then Ice vehicles are cutting their throat only quicker.
Just a double edge sword now and your big oil companies are not putting their money back into oil , but tech companies. They have been in talks for the last 10 years that oil is dying.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What I mean is people see a 350-mile range and think they can get into that tesla with the aircon on or heat and get 350 miles. The normal person does not understand or having the help to understand that range on Telsa website is not what you get each day driving. Not to mention the cold weather effects.

I know if my parents saw 350 miles of range and my father would be taking it back when he didn't get 350 out of it. It's misleading to people that don't know.
Yep. That was perhaps my most eye-opening shock when starting to seriously look at BEVs over a year ago. We're used to mileage actually being BETTER on the highway, so it was shocking to find out that it's SOOO much worse.

Range around home is almost meaningless. There's some interest from a fuel cost standpoint, but from an actual driving standpoint, it's irrelevant as long as you have well more than your daily drives. When newbies think of range, it's nearly always in a road trip sense. "300 mile range" suddenly becomes more like 180-200 on a road trip between refuels. That floored me until I got used to the idea.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Based on various bits of information and clues here and there. I think we should prepare for 3.2 miles per kWh at 70 mph for the AWD ER and 3.4 miles per kWh at 70 mph for RWD ER. 80 degrees ambient no precipitation.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Geeze, this isn't helping matters...now BMW and Mini have recalled all of their current PHEV lineup due to battery fire risk due to some junk in the battery mix.

It has been a bad month for electrified cars. Ford delayed its Escape PHEV after a recall of its Kuga twin in Europe over fire risk. U.S. safety officials are reviewing reports of fires in the Chevy Bolt EV, and Hyundai has expanded a recall of the Kona EV.

It’s part of the EV maturity curve. Tesla had the same thing 4-5 years ago.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just a double edge sword now and your big oil companies are not putting their money back into oil , but tech companies. They have been in talks for the last 10 years that oil is dying.
I'd call it shrinking rather than dying. Since COVID hit, I've been predicting that worldwide peak oil demand will have been hit in 2019. The COVID slowdown came right at the inflection point where EVs are about to rise out of niche territory.

However, we should remember that gas and diesel still make up like 98% of all transportation fuel now, and it will take decades to slowly shift. And even then, we're looking at more like a 50% shift over the next decade or two, not 100%.

And then there's all the other uses for oil. Plastics, jet fuel, chemicals, asphalt, pharmaceuticals, heating oil, etc etc etc. We'll always need oil. Just less of it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Based on various bits of information and clues here and there. I think we should prepare for 3.2 miles per kWh at 70 mph for the AWD ER and 3.4 miles per kWh at 70 mph for RWD ER. 80 degrees ambient no precipitation.
RWD 300 / 88 kWh = 3.40 miles/kWh already, for combined range (not 70 MPH).
AWD 270 / 88 = 3.07.

Those numbers will surely be lower at 70 MPH, probably at least 10-15%. I know we're hoping the final range numbers increase, but I'd guess more like 5%. My guesses:

RWD range 315 - 12% @ 70 MPH = 277 / 88 = 3.15 miles/kWh.
AWD range 290 - 12% @ 70 MPH = 255 / 88 = 2.90 miles/kWh.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That's one of the reasons to opt for the ER battery even if commuting short distances. I want to be able to use the heat and a/c whenever I want to without feeling like I can't. I don't necessarily want to have to plug in everyday, nor, do I want to have range anxiety.
The first few weeks of EV ownership are a bit awkward because you have to start changing your mindset and thinking about car “fueling” in a very different way. Up until now, we’ve only known the ICE-gas station paradigm our whole lives. But then, managing your EV’s charge suddenly becomes automatic, just like managing your ICE car’s gas is now. After going through a summer/winter cycle, you learn what your EV can and cannot do and you adjust accordingly.

I *LOVE* charging at home and that I never need to go to the gas station (unless I’m hitting up the mini-mart). I usually only need to plug-in every 2-3 days. Sometimes it’s every day if I’m driving all over the place. I haven’t used a public fast-charger since January. They are only relevant on long road trips. When I have needed to use a public charger, I’ve timed it to coincide with a food stop so the 30-40 mins flies by.

Make no mistake, driving an EV requires a wholesale mindset shift. Not everything is easier than an ICE, but overall the positives far outweigh the negatives. Once you get used to the instant, linear torque an EV delivers, you can’t go back to an ICE vehicle. Comparatively, most ICE vehicles feel sluggish off the line.

Buckle up! The future is waiting. ?

Last edited:

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
The first few weeks of EV ownership are a bit awkward because you have to start changing your mindset and thinking about car “fueling” in a very different way. Up until now, we’ve only known the ICE-gas station paradigm our whole lives. But then, managing your EV’s charge suddenly becomes automatic, just like managing your ICE car’s gas is now. After going through a summer/winter cycle, you learn what your EV can and cannot do and you adjust accordingly.

I *LOVE* charging at home and that I never need to go to the gas station (unless I’m hitting up the mini-mart). I usually only need to plug-in every 2-3 days. Sometimes it’s every day if I’m driving all over the place. I haven’t used a public fast-charger since January. They are only relevant on long road trips. When I have needed to use a public charger, I’ve timed it to coincide with a food stop so the 30-40 mins flies by.

Make no mistake, driving an EV requires a wholesale mindset shift. Not everything is easier than an ICE, but overall the positives far outweigh the negatives. Buckle up! The future is waiting. ?
No doubt and I'm excited about the prospects. I know there will be a learning curve, but good thing I'm smart and have done a TON of research. Incidentally, I have a friend that has been discussing getting an EV for the last month or so. I was just on the phone with him and he said he was mad yesterday when he had leave home, but saw his tank was empty. o_O
Sponsored