Ford tracking device offer

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Has anyone received an email from a group at ford willing to pay to have a tracker installed? On Ford letterhead, but from fordresearch@escalentopinion.com

edit: fixed email.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MnSparty38

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's sketchy any way you slice it.
Agreed. The skeptic in me is thinking weird. The opportunist in me was a looking at the $500 they offered.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
What are they trying to track? The entire car? (off ODBII?) Reality is Ford has the grand majority of data that's useful. When you charged, for how much, at what speed, at what temp, how long you drove after. Not a whole lot else useful that they don't already have (All thanks to Fordpass).

OP
OP
MnSparty38

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What are they trying to track? The entire car? (off ODBII?) Reality is Ford has the grand majority of data that's useful. When you charged, for how much, at what speed, at what temp, how long you drove after. Not a whole lot else useful that they don't already have (All thanks to Fordpass).
Edit: removed link from email to protect others if malware in it.

Last edited:

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hey everyone Ford already has a two week communication with every Mach e I may get most of the data unless you go in and manually turn it off. I know where the car is where it breaks down and what actually brakes before the dealer dose.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
I wonder if this is the same data logger that Ford asked @heisnuts to install to try and understand why he was having so many HVJBC failures?

kevcody

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Battery
Occupation
Hacker
Country flag
Has anyone received an email from a group at ford willing to pay to have a tracker installed? On Ford letterhead, but from fordreserch@escalentopinion.com
This is a third party and (very likely) has no affiliation with Ford (and could be using their letterhead without permission). I’d be super skeptical as Ford can all of this info without extra hardware.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don’t we agree to having tons of tracking on the car already anyway? What can they possibly not already know at any given moment? Lol

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
If the email is "fordreserch" and not "fordresearch," that isn't even a subtle scam. As it is a third party, not actually Ford, I still think it's most likely a scam, and I wouldn't click any of those links in their email.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
This site has been doing this for at least the last 3 years with various vehicles. It's posted all over the web with "That's gonna be a hard no" lol.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I wonder if this is the same data logger that Ford asked @heisnuts to install to try and understand why he was having so many HVJBC failures?
I doubt it. Mine was installed by a field engineer at my local Ford dealer and it only held so much data before overwriting old data. That is why I drove the 7 hours and 300 miles in one day and Ford retrieved the data and tracker the next day. The BEV team reached out to me asking if I would participate and it was a volunteer position.

Funny thing is I got that same email today even though I no longer own the car. However, if it is not a scam, it sounds like a marketing firm trying to gain market info for their client (who might be Ford).

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I doubt it. Mine was installed by a field engineer at my local Ford dealer and it only held so much data before overwriting old data. That is why I drove the 7 hours and 300 miles in one day and Ford retrieved the data and tracker the next day. The BEV team reached out to me asking if I would participate and it was a volunteer position.

Funny thing is I got that same email today even though I no longer own the car. However, if it is not a scam, it sounds like a marketing firm trying to gain market info for their client (who might be Ford).
They probably installed the VCM 3 Flight Recorder, which is a dealer scan tool:

f6090934c7595928a40c58f05ec_VCM3%20CFR%20kit%20web.jpg

I agree this email seems like a scam, Ford would do the data collection remotely without any OBD scan tool. They already have that capability.

steveg95

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone received an email from a group at ford willing to pay to have a tracker installed? On Ford letterhead, but from fordreserch@escalentopinion.com
I bought a Ford Ranger shortly after buying our MME. The dealer wanted to sell me a tracking service for the vehicle. I hard passed on it.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have received a request for something similar on my last F-150, but I got a letter direct from Ford and a letter from Roush (I think... it's been a while). I am in the Dearborn area, and they wanted me to bring my F-150 in to them for two weeks to do emissions and longevity inspections, they were going to give me a vehicle while they had mine, and other compensation. I never took them up on it, but those kinds of tests DO happen.

It's also not accurate to say Ford has "all" the information an OBD reader provides simply because they get some. In OASIS I can see fuel level, odometer, tire pressures, oil life (for appropriate vehicles), OTA update status and history, and status of any active codes and history (90 day).

Ford also sends location data and all that, but stuff like current battery temps, oil temps, etc, aren't being actively sent at real time intervals to Ford.
Sponsored