First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ford-will-keep-tax-credit-for-2023-ev-leases/

The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (IRA) has introduced a newly revised tax credit for electrified vehicles that offers buyers up to $7,500 back, depending on the type of vehicle they purchase, which is widely viewed as a boon not only for retail customers, but also commercial entities, suppliers, and automakers trying to sell more of those types of vehicles. Meanwhile, Ford – along with some other automakers – didn’t pass down the previous $7,500 tax credit to lessees, and also recently stopped letting those customers purchase EVs at the end of their lease terms, making some wonder if the automaker would change its stance on EV leases with the launch of the new credit. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case, according to a dealer letter recently seen by Cars Direct.
That letter states that “restrictions related to battery sourcing, vehicle MSRP, customer’s income, and North American assembly do not apply to the commercial credit,” which is now officially known as the Commercial Clean Vehicle Credit under Internal Revenue Code Section 45W. However, this doesn’t seem to apply to everyone, as the letter also states that “companies in the business of leasing electric vehicles are entitled to the commercial credit, provided they are the tax owner of the vehicle.”

This means that Ford will continue to keep the new tax credit for itself as it relates to retail EV leases, which is obviously bad news for customers looking to lease a new Blue Oval all-electric vehicle rather than finance or purchase it. Meanwhile, other automakers – including Volkswagen and Audi – are already taking advantage of this loophole, which allows manufacturers to circumvent domestic sourcing requirements and price caps by claiming a commercial credit and offering the $7,500 incentive to lessees.
Other automakers, including Toyota and Lexus, have slashed lease rates in response to these changes, working to make those vehicles financially appealing to customers. However, Ford customers that wish to claim this new credit will need to purchase those vehicles or opt for the hybrid Ford Options Plan instead.
Sponsored

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Yup, Mercedes and Chrysler are all kicking it back on their leases.

Wonder why Ford is being greedy ??

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Lessors can share the tax benefit with lessees in a number of ways. Passing through as a down payment discount is just one approach.

Ford Credit chooses to increase the residual, resulting in smaller monthly payments for the person renting the vehicle.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Ford Credit chooses to increase the residual, resulting in smaller monthly payments for the person renting the vehicle.
^^ This. Ford is not keeping all of the tax credit for themselves. They use it to support higher residual values, lowering the customer's monthly payments.

hayhayday

First Name
hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
Without the ability to buy out baking the credit into the residual saves 7500 * sales tax rate for states that would otherwise tax incentives.
If the lease rate stays much lower than the recently raised finance APR leasing might make sense especially with dropping used prices and if you are able to prepay the lease for the additional rate drop.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I was gonna joke about how forum members keep trying to grab attention by SHOUTING IN THEIR HEADLINES and how in this case it didn't even prevent duplicate posting.

But this time the essentially duplicate shoutie posts are even from the same OP. 🙄

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-ev-interest-rates-raised.25536/
It's a simple copy and paste from Ford Authority and all their headlines are in all caps. :D
I got tired of retyping the headlines all the time.

Blame Ford Authority :cool:

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Thank you, macchiaz-o, that is welcome news, but how do we know this?

Do you have a source you can share (the fordauthority article linked above seems devoid of any actual information)?

Do you know how much Ford has increased the residual amounts - i.e., is it the full $7,500 or is it some lesser amount?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thank you, macchiaz-o, that is welcome news, but how do we know this?

Do you have a source you can share (the fordauthority article linked above seems devoid of any actual information)?

Do you know how much Ford has increased the residual amounts - i.e., is it the full $7,500 or is it some lesser amount?
The most I can say is to read @hybrid2bev's post here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-ev-interest-rates-raised.25536/post-590742

At the end of the day, someone considering leasing a vehicle that doesn't have a end-of-term sale option should be focusing on the factors that matter most: choice of vehicle, annual mileage (and overage fees), total cost of rental, and perceived customer service experience. Finer details of how money is moved around, shifting costs between up front, monthly, and end of term seem far less important.

Last edited:

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I don't do lease. Feels like a rich person thing. Swapping cars every 3 years. Now if there is a way to buy the car right out after 3 months into the lease without extra fees. That will be more helpful.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't do lease. Feels like a rich person thing. Swapping cars every 3 years. Now if there is a way to buy the car right out after 3 months into the lease without extra fees. That will be more helpful.
We never leased before 2018. The lease was thousands cheaper than buying due to Ford incentives at the time (probably only in SE Michigan). We bought the car at the end of the lease, and still came out several thousand ahead. Always look at the numbers.

Now, with Ford saying you cannot buy at the end of the lease for EVs, forget it.
Sponsored