Ford's CEO had a charging 'reality check' on his electric F-150 Lightning road trip

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Although my dealer charged my car to 100% before I test drove it, I also only used my “free” 250 KWh on road trips. Well on the one road trip to get my dog. 😊🐩

IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3182.jpeg
Hmmm... Your dog told me in confidence that it was he who got you ;-)

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Although my dealer charged my car to 100% before I test drove it, I also only used my “free” 250 KWh on road trips. Well on the one road trip to get my dog. 😊🐩

IMG_3165.jpeg
IMG_3182.jpeg
I will never not enjoy the poodle frunk pic no matter how many times you post it.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
A slow charge can be due to a faulty charger or due to a bad charge curve on the vehicle, something that NACS won’t fix.
Can also be related to the electrical output to the charging station. Can also be related to a diminished buffer at the station in an attempt toinimize those $1000 a month demand charges. Farley should stick to Michigan off the interstate where he can experience multiple 50 and 62.5kW chargers
He can drive into the Up of Michigan where it is not uncommon to find only one charger at a station with 100 mile distances between chargers.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Why? It helps justify the NACS move and access to Super Chargers. This experience is something the PR team can use when the NACS adapters start shipping next year.
Adapters are of little use when the charge cable doesn't reach your charging port ;).

The Harris ranch supercharger station is a good example of what is right and wrong when it comes to EV charging, it used to have 18 chargers and due to its location depending on the time of year people travelled there could be very long waits so they expanded the station by adding another 80 chargers which was complete earlier this year, had the Fords CEO taken his trip earlier it would have been very different . Which sums up the problem 18 gas pumps would be more than enough for ICE vehicles however for EVs not so much.

It will be interesting to see with the delays people have experienced in the past how many tesla owners that where put off driving that route now start to do so again and how long it takes before 98 chargers isn't enough.

Hopefully EA will do similar but instead expand the stations either side of Harris ranch at W Panoche Rd and Kettleman last thing people should have to do is hang around Harris ranch taking in the pungent aroma.

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Quotes from the article that made me roll my eyes (emphasis added):​
* Charging the massive pickup truck was a challenge at times, he said
At the end of the trip on Sunday, Farley shared his experience with charging the massive electric pickup truck.
It's no more "massive" than any other crew-cab F-150 on the road; in fact, it's relatively small compared to many pickups around where I live in Texas. "Massive" should be reserved for describing F-350 duallies and similar. (which is a grocery go-getter for some around here 🙄)​
Right now, Ford EVs can't charge at Supercharger stations, which likely would have delivered Farley and his truck more charge in a shorter period of time.
Superchargers are not any faster than CCS DCFC. They may be more reliable and are currently more plentiful, but, to my knowledge, nothing about them makes them faster than a comparably equipped non-Tesla DCFC station.​
UPDATE: Re-reading the paragraph, I guess the author could be trying to make the point that Supercharger availability would have allowed Farley to go there instead of putting up with the slow CCS charger.​

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
Superchargers are not any faster than CCS DCFC. They may be more reliable and are currently more plentiful, but, to my knowledge, nothing about them makes them faster than a comparably equipped non-Tesla DCFC station.​
Aren’t the V3 Superchargers 250KW units? Wouldn’t that make them theoretically slower than a 350KW CCS unit? At least, that’s what was what was going through my mind when I read the part about the Brand T chargers being faster than CCS. 🤷‍♂️🐩

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Aren’t the V3 Superchargers 250KW units? Wouldn’t that make them theoretically slower than a 350KW CCS unit? At least, that’s what was what was going through my mind when I read the part about the Brand T chargers being faster than CCS. 🤷‍♂️🐩
True, but does the lightning support > 250KW?

TheBraydenKyle

First Name
Brayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Sales Management
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company and Farley could have already known all this if they had asked someone like me, who can’t charge at home, uses their car for work, and lives off the public charging network. 🤡

and before anyone wants to shame me for my dumbassness, I knew charging would be a pain but I wanted a Mach E and researched everything about it and the charging infrastructure around me for years before I bought one.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
But this would not be an issue with gas cars. If you bought a new Toyota and received a $1000 Shell gas card, you would just use it at the thousands of Shell gas stations across the country and no one would say anything about It.
Well, because... where else are you going to get gas other than a gas station? There isn't another option like there is with home/work charging vs. DC charging.

Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I visited that Charger location recently also. 30 min wait to use 1 of the 5 chargers. No Tesla wait. Seem they are adding more Tesla chargers. Didn’t see Farley. No wait when I visited 6 AM.
Sponsored