Future Proofing Dual Charger Install?

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW SportTrak RAM 3500
We were happy to drive our new MME home and trying to be thoughtful about the charger we install. Seems like you folks have lots of informed opinions.

I am thinking I would like to install a dual charger - because I am hopeful that the next owner of this house (or me) will have two EVs. And as I understand the plugs are standardizing away from the plug this 2023 MME currently sports.

What recommendations do you all have for a dual charger with some future proofing that can be wired directly to the panel on its own circuit?

TIA
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We were happy to drive our new MME home and trying to be thoughtful about the charger we install. Seems like you folks have lots of informed opinions.

I am thinking I would like to install a dual charger - because I am hopeful that the next owner of this house (or me) will have two EVs. And as I understand the plugs are standardizing away from the plug this 2023 MME currently sports.

What recommendations do you all have for a dual charger with some future proofing that can be wired directly to the panel on its own circuit?

TIA
There is only one solution that fits your bill I believe - The Tesla Universal Wall Connector. You buy two of them connect to the same circuit, and they load share. https://amzn.to/3JmZSqx

Do NOT buy two Juicebox chargers, like I did. They broke their software last year, have not fixed it, and it has major issues.

Tesla also makes an 80amp charger. I don't know if it does load sharing, but you'd be out $1,500 each buying that.

load97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
*edited* as apparently Chargepoint Homeflex doesn’t allow load sharing.

We currently have a Chargepoint. Installed about 2 years ago. Brought a 100 amp panel in to the garage. We have a Wrangler 4xe. But just picked up a Mach-e about 1.5 weeks ago and am looking at installing another Chargepoint, but mounting the new one inside the garage.

Last edited:

load97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I’ll have to check that out. We weren’t that worried about load sharing anyway though.

Last edited:

MONDO

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
There is only one solution that fits your bill I believe - The Tesla Universal Wall Connector. You buy two of them connect to the same circuit, and they load share. https://amzn.to/3JmZSqx

Do NOT buy two Juicebox chargers, like I did. They broke their software last year, have not fixed it, and it has major issues.

Tesla also makes an 80amp charger. I don't know if it does load sharing, but you'd be out $1,500 each buying that.
Tesla wall connectors have advanced a bit further than load share. Tesla Gen3 and Universal wall connecter support a few different types of Power Management options now:
Tesla Wall Connector Power Management

They can be setup on their own circuits and configured to prioritize power availability as needed.

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Please note nothing will ever be 100% future proof. In this context, it means none of these chargers would allow you to use your vehicles as a emergency power for your house. Not all EVs can do this, but some can. A couple of examples would be the Ford F-150 and some Rivian models.

This feature would require a special charger that supports bi-directional power delivery. Nearly all home EVSE today do not support this feature.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla wall connectors have advanced a bit further than load share. Tesla Gen3 and Universal wall connecter support a few different types of Power Management options now:
Tesla Wall Connector Power Management

They can be setup on their own circuits and configured to prioritize power availability as needed.
Right, but then you need two circuits. With load share you only need one circuit. All depends on your needs. We rarely go below 60% in daily use, usually 75%. Charging to 90%, for both vehicles (also rare) is just fine sharing a circuit.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
chargers only cost $300-500 i really think you're thinking too hard about what is an uncertain future for both the technology and what you will own personally...

rick's advice was the best, which is if you're really worried just buy the universal one from tesla. i think you could just as easily buy any other one and then get an adapter (which is what the universal tesla one is anyway) in whatever direction you need to go

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
The average drivers average daily driving distance means that a single EVSE at as little as 20A can keep both EV charged without issue.

It's my opinion that EV technology is changing too quickly to invest a large sum of money trying to future proof.

In my case I was able to cheaply repurpose a 30A circuit for charging. Running anything more would mean ripping up parts of my finished basements walls and ceiling. I don't have a time of use electrical plan which would change my thoughts so it is fine it it takes hours and hours to charge one of the EV. My wife plugs in when she gets home from work and I move the plug from her car to mine before bed. Sharing the EVSE and charging at 24A has not been an issue and I don't foresee it ever being an issue.

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
I own two EVs currently. I have one chargepoint installed and a second chargepoint that’s been in a box in my garage for over a year and a half waiting for me to set up an appointment with an electrician to install.

The thing is that for most two car households you probably only need a single charger. Exception is if you’re currently driving enough that you deplete and need to replenish your full battery every single night. If that doesn’t apply to you, you’re fine with a single charger and can alternate which vehicle you charge each night (or in our case, even less frequently than that).

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
We own 2 EVs. I have had 4 EVSEs so far. First EV came with a level 1. We installed Pulsar Wallbox. 10 months later (third life crisis) I came home with my MME. Immediately sold the Ford Mobile) Wife and I both needed to charge. Bought a Grizzl-E DUO sold the Wallbox. Worked great Until we moved (now single parking spot) and my job changed. I needed something mobile That could adjust various amp settings. Sold the DUO. Wife charges off original Level 1 (she now only commutes 3 miles) I got a Grizz-E mini.
Moved again, and We use the Grizzl-E mini and the level 1 and are just fine. If she needs an extra boost, she can pull of the mini For an hour.

long story - don’t stress the future. You never know what your needs are. next EVs may only be NACS.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
I went with the Tesla Universal, and my wife and I share it without issue. We just swap parking spots based on who needs to charge. The cord is long enough to run it across the garage if needed, but it's just as easy to park in the charging spot when I need to charge. As for circuit sharing, I know Tesla has something like that but never looked into it since I was only going with one.

Group Power Management is a feature that allows up to six Gen 3 Wall Connectors to share power and charge multiple vehicles at once. Power is distributed across multiple Wall Connectors to minimize charge time for each vehicle while making sure total power being drawn from your panel or a single circuit is within safe limits.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My utility company gives a $500 rebate per charger. Not getting 2 would be silly. Plus 30% tax credit on the rest.
Sponsored