Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's what I think most of us would like to find out in more detail -- How is that order process really going to work? Obviously we lock in the final specs for the vehicle we want (Spring 2020?), but since it'll still be long before we can do test drives (Fall 2020?), what kind of commitment is that? Do we put down another deposit? Can we completely back out after the test drive if we don't like it? Without forfeiting any $$?
The initial deposit just gave you a place in line to order and will be refunded when your number comes up. When you actually place the order with your dealer, I would very much expect another deposit being required (my dealer said they want $1000). Since the order will be placed without being able to even SEE the car in person (let alone drive it), I would hope your dealer or Ford would give you an "out" without losing money. I suspect that Ford won't, so it will be up to the dealer to decide if they can sell the car easily enough to return your deposit.
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
That may be what they told you, but looking at the reservation spreadsheet being kept here it is clear that the numbers are correlated to reservation date and probably sequential. The delivery dates will not follow the reservation numbers, though, since the first editions will be shipped first followed by premiums. Even though I have a reservation number in the 16k range I don't expect to receive delivery of my select edition until april or may of '21
It’s true the reservation number is not what’s important, what matters is the time stamp. After the orders are entered then Ford will sequence the production by time stamp.

Since the initial order book will open before the demos are delivered you will probably need to place an order before driving a FE or Premium. That does not mean that you have to take delivery if you are not satisfied. You can still back out of your order with Ford until you sign a purchase agreement between you and the dealer at the time of delivery. I think whether or not you put extra money down to place the order is between you and your dealer.

I’m sure this will all be explained by Ford as we get closer to the order book opening.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The initial deposit just gave you a place in line to order and will be refunded when your number comes up. When you actually place the order with your dealer, I would very much expect another deposit being required (my dealer said they want $1000). Since the order will be placed without being able to even SEE the car in person (let alone drive it), I would hope your dealer or Ford would give you an "out" without losing money. I suspect that Ford won't, so it will be up to the dealer to decide if they can sell the car easily enough to return your deposit.
You're probably right. While the reservation was entirely a Ford process, the order will probably be entirely a dealer process. Which means it might be totally different from dealer to dealer. And thus why Ford hasn't really told us anything about those details. That's not very comforting.

More and more I'm starting to think the reservations will mean almost nothing, other than a way for Ford to gauge consumer demand to help decide how many to manufacture.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
That's what I think most of us would like to find out in more detail -- How is that order process really going to work? Obviously we lock in the final specs for the vehicle we want (Spring 2020?), but since it'll still be long before we can do test drives (Fall 2020?), what kind of commitment is that? Do we put down another deposit? Can we completely back out after the test drive if we don't like it? Without forfeiting any $$?

I believe in the timeline posted in another thread we place an order in the spring (later for GT), but the purchase isn’t finalized until the fall(this shows before delivery, I believe). This leads me to believe there is a way to back out, at least for a while.

hag911

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford has said they can produce 50,000 MAch e's in the first year. That doesn't mean they will producing 50,000 in the year 2020. It probably means they will produce 50,000 of 2021 model year Mache e's. Which would run from late fall 2020 through the fall of 2021. Then they would start selling the 2022 model year versions
As for the 30K units supposed being shipped to Europe. Many of those will be Selects, GT's etc which aren't supposed to be delivered until 2021.
My guess is they will produce about 4,000 for the dealers, and government tests that need to be done then start on the FE's (which is why I reserved one) whether they are for the North America, or Europe. Then they'll start delivering the Premiums. Maybe the AWD extended range ones first as they are basically the same as the FE's just different color options and without the FE cosmetic items.
Just my guess

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's clear that we're just speculating here. Thus the use of words like "probably", "might", "starting to think", "appear to be", etc. Nothing wrong with speculating about things that they haven't told us anything about yet (that's kinda what these forums exist for). As long as it's clear that that's all it is - speculation.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
However, you didn't state what the facts are that you know, other than the obvious that dealers are waiting for Ford next phase of the process, and all the "opinions" are also compatible with that fact...

BTW, Florida7382 wasn't saying it was a fact that he would loose $7.5K, but that it was a fact that iff (if and only if) he lost $7.5K, it is a fact that it would make him cancel and look at other options.. That goes for me too, if I have to loose my place in line for a FE in order to first take a test drive, and they sell out because of demand with an estimated only 20k for the US for the first year... Highly unlikely sting of events, but given the production estimates for the first year, and this is not the only vehicle counting toward the 200k it's not impossible that the tax credit might fall to half by that point.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Please elucidate.

OP
OP

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Good speculation in here. Another question: am I right to assume EV tax credit for vehicle delivered in 2021 can only be used in 2022 or would it actually be filed with 2021 taxes? I’ve been searching the internet without definitive answer (I guess it’s not a relevant question for many). Thanks again.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Good speculation in here. Another question: am I right to assume EV tax credit for vehicle delivered in 2021 can only be used in 2022 or would it actually be filed with 2021 taxes? I’ve been searching the internet without definitive answer (I guess it’s not a relevant question for many). Thanks again.
You get the credit for the year you take delivery. If you take delivery in 2021, you get the credit when you file your 2021 taxes.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You get the credit for the year you take delivery. If you take delivery in 2021, you get the credit when you file your 2021 taxes.
You apply the credit while filing taxes... A W-2 employee, for example, could easily receive the credit well before tax filing by adjusting her federal tax withholdings.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And as I understand it, the $7500 federal tax credit is non-refundable. That means you only get credit for the full $7500 if your total federal income tax liability is at least $7500. Otherwise you max out at whatever your total tax liability is for 2021 (filed in 2022). (Assuming they take delivery of the Mach-e in 2021.)

When people file their 2019 federal tax return this year, they can look at the "Total Tax" (Line 15 if using Form 1040) amount that represents their total federal income tax liability to get an idea if they'll get the full credit (assuming their tax situation stays roughly the same for 2021 too).

Those of us over age 59 1/2 have an additional option -- withdrawing extra from our IRA/401(k) in 2021 to boost our tax liability over $7500.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
You apply the credit while filing taxes... A W-2 employee, for example, could easily receive the credit well before tax filing by adjusting her federal tax withholdings.
That’s a strategy I didn’t even think of

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
That’s a strategy I didn’t even think of
That would spread the $7500 over a year, but it would also be risky in that if you failed to take delivery of a qualifying vehicle then you are stuck owing a lot of taxes that you best be prepared to pay...
Sponsored