First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It's not risky for the scenario many of you are thinking about -- an early 2021 delivery of Mustang Mach-E.

For example, you complete the sale and take delivery of your MME on 3/1/2021.

You have 10 months left in the year and you're paid bi-weekly, so there are about 22 paychecks remaining. So you tell your employer to reduce your witholdings by $340 (or $7500 / 22) per paycheck. Then you reset your withholdings to some more normal value on 1/1/2022.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would spread the $7500 over a year, but it would also be risky in that if you failed to take delivery of a qualifying vehicle then you are stuck owing a lot of taxes that you best be prepared to pay...
And potential underpayment penalties.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
That would spread the $7500 over a year, but it would also be risky in that if you failed to take delivery of a qualifying vehicle then you are stuck owing a lot of taxes that you best be prepared to pay...
I guess I was more thinking of those of us that take delivery in early 2021 (GT, Select, and late Premium deliveries). You could adjust your allowances after you take delivery and start recouping the credit throughout the whole year.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There's also a minimum amount that can be withheld, IIRC. You can set your exemptions higher but I don't believe you can set a negative additional withholding.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Of course, but you could just set exemptions higher. The IRS even provides an online calculator to help you put in the correct withholdings. Section 5 covers the EV tax credit.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

This is even easier for non-W2 employees, like folks who are retired or self employed. Just pay less in estimated taxes once you get your MME.

OP
OP

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
This is great news, I might still be able to use the credit if I play my cards right in a scenario delivery is in Q1 2021. Thanks a lot everyone contributing!

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
That's my concern too regarding an order deposit. However, I don't see how Ford could ask customers to place a non-refundable deposit on an order without being to assess production build quality, the user interface and drivability. I certainly wouldn't.

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit (2017), Mustang Mach-E, FE (2021)
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
It’s true the reservation number is not what’s important, what matters is the time stamp. After the orders are entered then Ford will sequence the production by time stamp.

Since the initial order book will open before the demos are delivered you will probably need to place an order before driving a FE or Premium. That does not mean that you have to take delivery if you are not satisfied. You can still back out of your order with Ford until you sign a purchase agreement between you and the dealer at the time of delivery. I think whether or not you put extra money down to place the order is between you and your dealer.

I’m sure this will all be explained by Ford as we get closer to the order book opening.
May I ask what you mean by «time stamp»?

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
Ford has said they can produce 50,000 MAch e's in the first year. That doesn't mean they will producing 50,000 in the year 2020. It probably means they will produce 50,000 of 2021 model year Mache e's. Which would run from late fall 2020 through the fall of 2021. Then they would start selling the 2022 model year versions
As for the 30K units supposed being shipped to Europe. Many of those will be Selects, GT's etc which aren't supposed to be delivered until 2021.
My guess is they will produce about 4,000 for the dealers, and government tests that need to be done then start on the FE's (which is why I reserved one) whether they are for the North America, or Europe. Then they'll start delivering the Premiums. Maybe the AWD extended range ones first as they are basically the same as the FE's just different color options and without the FE cosmetic items.
Just my guess
I think -and hope! - that you’re wrong here. Ford Motor Norway unreservedly state on their web page that the FE model is to be produced in limited numbers «for delivery in 2020». If this is to be believed, I suppose most of the 30 000 (?) cars that are to be shipped to Europe come autumn 2000, will have to be FEs.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
May I ask what you mean by «time stamp»?
The time stamp is the date and time that your reservation was placed. That’s what will be used to prioritize the customer orders into the sequence of production for that trim level, not the reservation number itself.

Assuming we have ordered then same trim level. If my reservation number is “higher” than yours, but my reservation was completed before yours, then my vehicle will be produced before yours. But it may not be delivered to me before yours due to shipping.

Petter

First Name
Petter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Media manager/editor
Country flag
The time stamp is the date and time that your reservation was placed. That’s what will be used to prioritize the customer orders into the sequence of production for that trim level, not the reservation number itself.

Assuming we have ordered then same trim level. If my reservation number is “higher” than yours, but my reservation was completed before yours, then my vehicle will be produced before yours. But it may not be delivered to me before yours due to shipping.
Thank you!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Won't the trim level also determine production ordering? Ford has stated that the select, GT, and california route 1 trims won't be shipping until 2021. So, even though I might have placed my deposit before him, my car might not be built until after his?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Won't the trim level also determine production ordering? Ford has stated that the select, GT, and california route 1 trims won't be shipping until 2021. So, even though I might have placed my deposit before him, my car might not be built until after his?
Yes, I’m assuming that is true that the order books will open at different times for different trims. That’s why I limited the example to within the same trim level.

If your reservation was placed before mine but my trim level is being produced first then yes, my vehicle will be made before yours.
Sponsored