GFI for mobile charger?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
My electrician comes tomorrow to install the new circuit to my garage for a NEMA 14-50 which will be used exclusively for the MME mobile charger.

Is there a final ruling on this board as to whether to put GFI on the circuit? I see that the mobile charger already has GFI built in and I am wary of nuisance tripping if the circuit also has GFI.

Yes, I know that code might require GFI for this garage outlet. But I’m just wondering what is the best installation for exclusive use with the mobile charger.

Thanks!
Sponsored

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
My electrician comes tomorrow to install the new circuit to my garage for a NEMA 14-50 which will be used exclusively for the MME mobile charger.

Is there a final ruling on this board as to whether to put GFI on the circuit? I see that the mobile charger already has GFI built in and I am wary of nuisance tripping if the circuit also has GFI.

Yes, I know that code might require GFI for this garage outlet. But I’m just wondering what is the best installation for exclusive use with the mobile charger.

Thanks!
Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL.pdf (ford.com)

CIRCUIT BREAKER 50A – GFCI Recommended

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL.pdf (ford.com)

CIRCUIT BREAKER 50A – GFCI Recommended
Argh. That’s true. But the MME user manual says the mobile charger comes with GFI built in.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

I don’t want my car charger nuisance tripping in the middle of a charge because the two GFIs on one circuit aren’t playing nice with each other. But is the consensus that I should follow the Spec Sheet guidance anyway and install a GFI?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Argh. That’s true. But the MME user manual says the mobile charger comes with GFI built in.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

I don’t want my car charger nuisance tripping in the middle of a charge because the two GFIs on one circuit aren’t playing nice with each other. But is the consensus that I should follow the Spec Sheet guidance anyway and install a GFI?
That's true. I'd skip it, especially because, what if you put a standalone EVSE in later? Most of them state that they must NOT be on a GFCI circuit.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag

They are saying GFI recommended because that is generally required for any outlet in an unfinished area or outside the home. I did not have a GFCI installed for my charge point home flex because it is going to remain plugged in all the time and the charger has an internal GFCI. I chose not to have the GFI breaker to avoid nuisance tripping.

If your electrician is pulling a permit you may not have a choice.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They are saying GFI recommended because that is generally required for any outlet in an unfinished area or outside the home. I did not have a GFCI installed for my charge point home flex because it is going to remain plugged in all the time and the charger has an internal GFCI. I chose not to have the GFI breaker to avoid nuisance tripping.

If your electrician is pulling a permit you may not have a choice.
This is a friend of a friend. He is licensed but does “small jobs” like this “for fun money.” He won’t be pulling a permit and that is AOK with me.

The code frustrates me with its inflexibility for applications like this. I get the argument - the next owner might plug something else into the outlet - but there oughta be a way to label the outlet or something so people are duly warned.

I installed a pond fountain that was also GFI protected and the electrician who installed the outdoor outlet insisted on GFI because of code. The damn thing nuisance trips at least once a month and at some point I’m gonna need to go down there and remove the GFI. Nobody is gonna do some vacuuming down at the pond bank.

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I installed a pond fountain that was also GFI protected and the electrician who installed the outdoor outlet insisted on GFI because of code. The damn thing nuisance trips at least once a month and at some point I’m gonna need to go down there and remove the GFI. Nobody is gonna do some vacuuming down at the pond bank.
You might want to check the motor windings on the pond pump. A lot of times, the motor is worn out and that trips the GFCI.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
I had my outlet installed last week and told the electrician I didn't want the GFCI because I was concerned about getting up in the morning and finding that the car didn't charge because of a false trip. Also, I won't be plugging/unplugging the charger from the wall very often, if ever. He agreed and didn't install the GFCI. Saved $100 on the quote.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had my outlet installed last week and told the electrician I didn't want the GFCI because I was concerned about getting up in the morning and finding that the car didn't charge because of a false trip. Also, I won't be plugging/unplugging the charger from the wall very often, if ever. He agreed and didn't install the GFCI. Saved $100 on the quote.
My concern exactly. Thanks.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
If your jurisdiction adopts the 2020 NEC I believe it would be required, anyone before that I do not believe it's required. Gotta love code changes!

As far as personal opinion, no I wouldn't use a GFCI on it.

Cuddlecool

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Professional education
Country flag
The Ford Connected Charge Station has GFCI built in. The mobile charger that comes with the Mach-E does not. If you’re just installing a NEMA 14-50 plug for your mobile charger, a GFCI circuit breaker is recommended. And yes, they cost over $100.

jaycake

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6 Carbon Mach-E Star White AWD Ext. range
Country flag
I installed a charge point home, hardwired. under the supervision of an electrician neighbor. The charger was 742..69 with tax. there is a 1000. tax incentive with the charger and Eversource gives 300.00 when you sign up on their website..my point is you may break even or be money ahead if you go the fixed route. that way you can leave the mobile one in the car for travel.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Remember that the GFCI at the outlet also protects the wires going to the pump itself. Outdoor water feature electrocutions were one of the reasons GFCIs got mandated in the first place… GFCIs can sometimes nuisance trip, but even the boy who cried wolf was right once - if you are getting a lot of trips it could be because something is actually wrong.

As for the outlet in the garage, since the mobile charger plugs directly into the outlet and there is only a few inches of unprotected cable which is double-insulated anyway, then I wouldn’t feel bad about omitting the GFCI. If the outlet were outdoors I’d install the GFCI anyway and deal with any tripping issues that come up on their own.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The Ford Connected Charge Station has GFCI built in. The mobile charger that comes with the Mach-E does not. If you’re just installing a NEMA 14-50 plug for your mobile charger, a GFCI circuit breaker is recommended. And yes, they cost over $100.
The Ford mobile charger does include GFCI. Every EVSE that is safety certified has GFCI built in since it is required, the only ones that potentially wouldn't have it would be cheap Chinese ones from eBay or Amazon.

If the charger stays plugged into the wall all the time then the circuit doesn't need GFCI IMO. If you unplug it frequently (potential to touch live prongs) or use it for other things then you might want it on the circuit.
Sponsored