Glass Roof and Windshield Recall (too early)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Hi.
Got my MME in June.
i got the same recall. my local Ford dealership stated: (on a early November call to them)
They told me that I do not want to be the first to have it done. (????)Let the installer get some experience.
If the dealer tells everybody that they shouldn’t be the first to have it done, how will they ever get to the second?
Sponsored

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I think you are either missing the point. I called the dealership, they called me back when THEY found a shop to do the work. Obviously, the glass shop was not up to the task so they sent the car back to the dealership. As did 4 other glass shops. (for both windshield and windscreen recalls)

Regarding software updates. Yes, I know they are OTA, I have been in IT for 30 years and manage 40k endpoints. I took delivery of my car in Feb. We are rapidly approaching a year and the same issues I had after week 1, I still have. Not to mention having to buy 4 new tires because no one had the tire the Mach E came with and had no hopes of getting one in any reasonable amount of time. (After a blowout that I had on 1 tire)

Then there is the issue of the parking brake engaging all by itself. That can be very interesting, I assure you. Then there are the PaaK issues, the seat issues, the gear selector issues, etc. And of course the roof and windshield recall issues.

My patience has just worn thin, very thin.
How in the world is your dealer not capable of finding a windshield repair shop that will repair a windshield?? 4 places? It’s literally all safelite among other companies do, sure it needs to get body shop work done in between removing (standard procedure for windshield repair places) and re-gluing (also standard process for windshield repair). But that’s not on the windshield repair company. Sounds like it’s just a problem with your dealer explaining the repair procedure to them or they just flat out don’t want to work with your specific dealership… good luck.

I suspect that dealers service center also has something to do with how salty you are on the updates etc.

lweisenthal

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
weisenthalcancer.com
Vehicles
MME Premium; RWD; std range; Chevy Volt 2.0
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Huntington Beach Ford told me Thursday that: (1) they've done "a number of these" with allegedly no problems. (2) I could bring the car in Monday morning. (3) it would be a two day job. (4) they'd provide a free rental/loaner car for these two days. Seems straight forward. I'll report back if there are problems.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
All, just a follow up to this. My dealership has had my car since Monday. They have tried 5 glass shops to do the recall work. All 5, after seeing the work to be done, declined to do the work. My local dealership said they are not set up to complete the work and they will have to expand their search to find someone who can do the work.

So, after 4 days of not having my car, net work done is 0.

I think I see a BMW iX 5 in my future.
Poor dealership. They should have setup the glass company before you dropped off your vehicle.

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Poor dealership. They should have setup the glass company before you dropped off your vehicle.
They did. Then when the glass company actually seen the vehicle, they said they couldn't do it.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Huntington Beach Ford told me Thursday that: (1) they've done "a number of these" with allegedly no problems. (2) I could bring the car in Monday morning. (3) it would be a two day job. (4) they'd provide a free rental/loaner car for these two days. Seems straight forward. I'll report back if there are problems.
I got the same thing as you mine is going in Tuesday and rental provided.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Get a free loaner car is expressly stated in the recall. Should be no surprise to anyone, Ford is paying for it (not the dealer).

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Assuming the "rental" will also be a MME. Anyone actually have this work done yet and rental supplied. Not doubting the recall work and substitute transportation, just wondering if dealers would be supplying MME's as the substitute.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Assuming the "rental" will also be a MME. Anyone actually have this work done yet and rental supplied. Not doubting the recall work and substitute transportation, just wondering if dealers would be supplying MME's as the substitute.
You're kidding, right?

No, it won't be a Mach-E. They don't have spare Mach-Es sitting around. It will have 4 wheels, and gas in it (which you will replace).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They did. Then when the glass company actually seen the vehicle, they said they couldn't do it.
The part of the recall that the glass company has to do is just the same windshield removal and installation that every glass company does all the time. If your dealer was rejected by 4 glass companies, I think it's likely that the dealer was asking them to do more of the recall steps than they should.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Sounds about right! Mine is at Tuttle Click Ford in Irvine getting it done right now. It was supposed to be a 1/2 day job, but that turned into 3 days because they got busy... I would just see if they at least have a spare windshield on hand, so you're not having to wait for a new one if it does break.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
The part of the recall that the glass company has to do is just the same windshield removal and installation that every glass company does all the time. If your dealer was rejected by 4 glass companies, I think it's likely that the dealer was asking them to do more of the recall steps than they should.
I think I read someone say that the reimbursement amount from Ford isn't that much. Maybe this person's dealer was also trying to keep some of the reimbursement and pay the glass company even less than what Ford was willing to pay so it made no financial sense for them to do the work after seeing how involved it is?

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Their is also a recall for the roof. That is what the glass shops are hesitant about.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Their is also a recall for the roof. That is what the glass shops are hesitant about.
The roof procedure does not involve removing any glass. I can't believe that 4 professional glass companies would reject the work for that.
Sponsored