Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Dongles for a decade...
Why not, we have USB standards, why start now lol.

Reality for me, as i havn't road tripped per se, is 100kw works well for me. We can usually burn up 20~30 minutes just trying to get in and out of a walmart. 100KwH is just ok for this car. It's not the fastest around, but it's not 50kwh either. Unless you get the lucky EA station.
Sponsored

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
The CCS model was going to fail sooner or later. Personally I wished it failed sooner. Depending on third parties for fast charging wasn't going to work out, how exactly is that business suppose to exist when you don't make profits because your spending your revenue on maintenance. One income stream, but multiple outgoing streams.

Now we will wait for the other car makers to make similar announcements.

I expect GM's partnership with Flying J will switch those chargers to NACS, my guess is Tesla cars will be able to charge there.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I've always been puzzled by the heft of the CCS plug. I know my grandmother wouldn't be able to use one by herself. I've seen people at charge stations with the plug between their legs holding it with two hands as if they're about to launch a round from a potato bazooka.

NACS is much lighter and easier and if we want adoption of EVs you have to make it easy.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Re the necessity of an adapter making our cars obsolete, I'm not saying it's an invalid concern... but our cars' internal constraints on charging speed are gonna make our cars obsolete much faster than the necessity of an adapter. So I don't think it's anything to get worked up about.

At least in the short run, an adapter gives us more versatility.
Obsolete is the last thing on my mind. Really just curious how this will play out, leave it to the company’s and consumer to figure that out, not the government mandating which one works

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The CCS model was going to fail sooner or later. Personally I wished it failed sooner. Depending on third parties for fast charging wasn't going to work out, how exactly is that business suppose to exist when you don't make profits because your spending your revenue on maintenance. One income stream, but multiple outgoing streams.

Now we will wait for the other car makers to make similar announcements.

I expect GM's partnership with Flying J will switch those chargers to NACS, my guess is Tesla cars will be able to charge there.
I expect GMs partnership with flying A to be reduced significantly, didn’t CEO say savings will be hundreds of millions of $

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
I would expect EVGo and Chargepoint to eventually bust, unless they get into an agreement on licensing Tesla fast chargers, but personally I hope that doesn't happen. The wildcard is EA, they still have their mandate in effect. They'll probably get the remnants and CCS EVs left overs to charge.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would expect EVGo and Chargepoint to eventually bust, unless they get into an agreement on licensing Tesla fast chargers, but personally I hope that doesn't happen. The wildcard is EA, they still have their mandate in effect. They'll probably get the remnants and CCS EVs left overs to charge.
any Reason why they couldn’t retrofit their unit to accommodate both type of connectors ?

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
I expect GMs partnership with flying A to be reduced significantly, didn’t CEO say savings will be hundreds of millions of $
Yes she says savings of about $400M, I agree I do expect their partnership to decrease. I also expect Honda to shiver l announce using NACS especially since GM is going that route.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don't think they need to license Tesla chargers, the only key thing is the connector. I don't believe there are even requirements to be part of the SuperCharger network if you use the connector. But those are the questions that need to be worked out.

They talked about it on the InsideEVs podcast that Tesla would do well selling their superchargers, but people are mixing up SuperChargers and NACS, they are not the same thing. SuperChargers can run CCS connectors, and do in other parts of the world. An EA or ChargePoint station can run NACS.

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
any Reason why they couldn’t retrofit their unit to accommodate both type of connectors ?
They would have to get a licensing agreement with Tesla. IMO if I were Elon and after the CCS rollout debacle, I would decline. It's reduces the reliability depiction of the supercharger network.

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
I don't think they need to license Tesla chargers, the only key thing is the connector. I don't believe there are even requirements to be part of the SuperCharger network if you use the connector. But those are the questions that need to be worked out.

They talked about it on the InsideEVs podcast that Tesla would do well selling their superchargers, but people are mixing up SuperChargers and NACS, they are not the same thing. SuperChargers can run CCS connectors, and do in other parts of the world. An EA or ChargePoint station can run NACS.
That's my understanding also unless you want Tesla vehicles to charge.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
They would have to get a licensing agreement with Tesla
A lot of people have made this comment. I haven't seen any proof of the need to license anything. I've only seen the opposite... Can you point to where NACS requires licensing from Tesla?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
They would have to get a licensing agreement with Tesla.
Why? Tesla has already opened up the connector itself. Anyone can use the physical design, but that doesn’t mean they will work at a Supercharger that runs proprietary software. Not a concern for other charger manufacturers.
Sponsored