David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Interesting - and that's apple maps right?
Apple Maps running on IOS 16.2. This capability has been in IOS since 15.4 and a Ford Power update last year:

Sponsored

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
It isn't meant to allow you to watch YouTube videos. It's not a limitation due to a software bug.
Not due to a bug but a limitation to the software's capabilities, which makes it a poor software in comparison

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Not due to a bug but a limitation to the software's capabilities, which makes it a poor software in comparison
Watching youtube videos on the big screen is outside of the design parameters for CarPlay. CarPlay isn't meant to replicate your phone on the big screen. It's meant to allow you to use your phone safely while driving. And that means minimizing distractions that take your eyes off of the road. YouTube would be one of those distractions.

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Picking Google Automotive Services to do the OS inherently precluded Apple inclusion. It is the native system.

Expanded CarPlay runs on top of a dumb OS.
Not necessarily, my previous car was a Honda Clarity which ran some version of Android (you never know that, the ui was Honda's). CarPlay and I assume Android Auto ran on top of this.
One feature that is important to you, but never occurred to me, makes it poor software?

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Watching youtube videos on the big screen is outside of the design parameters for CarPlay. CarPlay isn't meant to replicate your phone on the big screen. It's meant to allow you to use your phone safely while driving. And that means minimizing distractions that take your eyes off of the road. YouTube would be one of those distractions.
That's cool and all but clearly auto manufactures want more capabilities than that

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not necessarily, my previous car was a Honda Clarity which ran some version of Android (you never know that, the ui was Honda's). CarPlay and I assume Android Auto ran on top of this.

One feature that is important to you, but never occurred to me, makes it poor software?
But it's not just that feature. Car play can't show full spotify playlists, you can't look at text messages on your screen, it has to be read out loud etc(there is a ton of more stuff that it is very limited on). There's plenty of things that it can't do to a full extent that a software should be able to do which is why clearly auto makers are switching to off a better more full experience app wise

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
That's cool and all but clearly auto manufactures want more capabilities than that
So, they want a less safe driving experience? Minimizing distractions should be a priority. Keeping the driver focused on the task of driving should be the aim here.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, they want a less safe driving experience? Minimizing distractions should be a priority. Keeping the driver focused on the task of driving should be the aim here.
looking down at your phone to search a song on carplay isn't less distracting than searching it on a giant screen in view site of the road. You can only view youtube videos in park on Tesla's, you can't at all on carplay

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
looking down at your phone to change a song on carplay isn't less distracting than changing it on a giant screen in view site of the road. You can only view youtube videos in park on Tesla's, you can't at all on carplay
I can easily change to the next song by hitting a single button on my steering wheel. Or answer a phone call. I don't have to reach down to the phone to do anything. Looking down at your phone to do anything while driving is way way way way more distracting than just hitting a static button on the steering wheel, or something on the screen that isn't more than 2 levels deep, and has a fixed location on the screen.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Toyota didn't have CarPlay in 2018?? what? that's wild
Hell the RX didn't have a touch screen until 2021. That was a deciding factory for my RX purchase. And it still requires wired car play, but at least i don't have to use this stupid track pad thing in the console to click the phone number I want to dial. Which is sadly still light years better than my moms BMW thing with the stupid knob.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can easily change to the next song by hitting a single button on my steering wheel. Or answer a phone call. I don't have to reach down to the phone to do anything. Looking down at your phone to do anything while driving is way way way way more distracting than just hitting a static button on the steering wheel, or something on the screen that isn't more than 2 levels deep, and has a fixed location on the screen.
How do you change your navigation for car play? You have to use your phone unless you are in park. The point is not safety the point is the basic features are very light

OP
OP
Logal727

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
How do you change your navigation for car play? You have to use your phone unless you are in park. The point is not safety the point is the basic features are very light
You can ask Siri

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
How do you change your navigation for car play? You have to use your phone. The point is not safety the point is the basic features are very light
I don't have to touch my phone to do anything in CarPlay. That's the whole point. I can either use the screen, voice commands, or steering wheel buttons to do 99% of what I want. I get in the car and if I'm not already on CarPlay, there's a convenient button at the top of the screen (always in the same place) that switches me to it. Apple Maps usually is the last thing I was doing. It automatically prompts me to go Home or to Work. If I want to go somewhere else, I hit the voice command button on the steering wheel and ask Siri to take me there. Or hit the search box (which always shows up in the same place on the Maps screen) and again, give it a voice command.

The point of CarPlay and Android Auto has always been about safely using the smartphone in the car.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't have to touch my phone to do anything in CarPlay. That's the whole point. I can either use the screen, voice commands, or steering wheel buttons to do 99% of what I want. I get in the car and if I'm not already on CarPlay, there's a convenient button at the top of the screen (always in the same place) that switches me to it. Apple Maps usually is the last thing I was doing. It automatically prompts me to go Home or to Work. If I want to go somewhere else, I hit the voice command button on the steering wheel and ask Siri to take me there. Or hit the search box (which always shows up in the same place on the Maps screen) and again, give it a voice command.

The point of CarPlay and Android Auto has always been about safely using the smartphone in the car.
Again you keep pointing to the safety aspect which is not what this conversation is about. It's about the feature aspect of the software which carplay does not have either due to their stance on safety or just basic lack of software features. The point is Tesla has set a standard with their feature heavy apps (ie ford following their footsteps and adding in youtube) that automakers are not going to sit back and have a basic system like carplay be part of their software.
Sponsored