Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Unlike the Tata airbag situation, I'm not hearing the name LG in the news stories.
Well, here are some examples (one Hyundai and one GM), and believe me LG is going to pay the brunt of the cost on this, just like Tata did. There are many stories about his being an LG manufacturing defect.

https://insideevs.com/news/492167/reports-lg-chem-cost-hyundai-battery-recall/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ire-risk-sees-dollar1-billion-cost/ar-AANyo4b

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/L...Energy-Storage-Batteries-Due-to-Fire-Hazard-0

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2046...-battery-fire-lg-chem-has-a-different-version

LG is to EV batteries, what Tata was to airbags.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I once had a 3-year old Nissan Pathfinder with 42k miles that decided to self-immolate in a Seattle parking garage, so I'm no stranger to car fires. Coincidentally, my insurance company examined the wreckage and determined it was an electrical fire.

I can't figure out if we should be worried about the LG Chem batteries. I have zero doubt Ford will do right for Mach-E owners, it's just a matter of whether we're going to have to go thru some inconveniences or not.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I can't figure out if we should be worried about the LG Chem batteries.
Worry, no. Stay alert, yes.
If you watch the Sandy Munro video with Donna Dickson, you’ll see the battery pack construction varies with car maker. The same applies to other battery pack configurations. Hopefully LG solved these issues before producing our Mach E batteries.

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Maybe this is one factor on why mach E has such a big buffer reserved so that battery will be aways between 10-90% capacity, no matter you use it up or charge it full.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I can't figure out if we should be worried about the LG Chem batteries. I have zero doubt Ford will do right for Mach-E owners, it's just a matter of whether we're going to have to go thru some inconveniences or not.
As all the pouches will have slightly different designs for each of manufactures hopefully the ones used in the mach-e will not suffer any of these defect issues long term and it is not just a matter of time., as the mach-e battery modules are also going to be used in the transit bev we will have more data to go on at some point as to any potential issues.

As for Ford and dealing with issue, it all depends on which version of Ford steps up to the plate, lets hope it is not the powershift / explorer-firestone / pinto Ford of old.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I do sometimes think twice when I leave home with the ME plugged into the garage as to what I might come how to find.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Since I have a Bolt I me on those forums also. The number have Bolt fires is now more than 15 and most have been 2019 models, to date. Currently the rate for 2019 models catching fire is 10X the rate for ICE vehicle fires. So statistically it is bad.

Secondly, how many of the ICE vehicle fires occur while the car has been off and parked in a garage overnight? How many take out an entire house due to the fires?
Well you do have skin in the game but I still think you are over sweating this. Same thing happened with the early on Volt fires. A few volts burnt but the remainder went on to long event free lives.

If GM hadn't gotten panicked the same would have happened to the Bolt. I suspect from experience that most of the Bolts that could burn have burnt. 15 fires for such a large group is nothing. The Etron's that also have the same base battery design have shown no such tendency. Neither have the Ford Fusion EV. It is that 2019 Bolt with 10 fires that caused GM to lose their nerve. In time the failure rate would have declined well below ICE. We will never know now. BTW surely you are jesting when you claim ICE cars don't burn houses. Happens all the time, never gets reported. I personally know a good friend who lost a grand parent when the car set the house and the backyard on fire. Ask around you will find then =m everywhere, very rarely gets escalated. ICE cars burn in school parking lots all the time, never gets reported either.

Nothing in any industry is manufactured perfect. Even 6 Sigma manufacturing means a certain defect rate is tolerated.

BTW as long as you are going to make wild claims and propagate alarmism, get the names of the companies correct. It is TAKATA airbags not Tata or what ever.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
After a bit of thought I won’t cancel my Mach-E order. I’m going to trust that in the 3+ months between now and when my car is built Ford will look into this problem with LG cells and halt production if needed.
If it's any consolation, Tesla had more fires than anybody and never did a single recall.
As the title says, GM is recalling all Chevy Bolts due to battery fires.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/20/gm-...expand-chevy-bolt-ev-recall-due-to-fires.html
Interesting. Tesla had more fires than anybody and never did a single recall.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I thought (rechargeable) batteries will degrade over time. I charge, as often as possible, at level 1 (110), directly form my solar panels, with that in mind (two EVs to alternate when possible).
Since the consumer has the option of setting the charge percent, it might be wise to let the owner decide what he wishes. Some folks have different miles to commute, etc.
And are we not hoping for solid state sometime soon?(I think that is the case with at least Toyota, etc.)
I can understand a small buffer, but I just think 10% is a bit much. I have not seen this in other EVs. I just wondered why, thinking there must be more to it.
The unfortunate thing about it all is that some automobile manufacturers have produced vehicles for years with dangerous defects (eg exploding gasoline tanks).
I agree with you and would be disappointed as well.
Actually our electric mini cooper left 10% on the table as well. And we can’t forget that Tesla added considerable capacity if you had access to a browser and credit card once upon a time.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If it's any consolation, Tesla had more fires than anybody and never did a single recall.

What percentage of Tesla vehicles have self-immolated to date? Compared to what percentage of Bolt or Kona EV vehicles?

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag

I'd love to know more, do you have any stats/data to share?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Again like I said everyone has them. And also again like anything else in life if you pick the supplier you have to own it. If you decide to wear an untrustworthy condom and have a opps well sorry not on the condom maker but you for making the poor choice.
It is the person that bought and used the condom? Are you implying if we bought our ford with LG batteries and the batteries are defective that is on us? That is not the most ethical thing I have read this morning. If you are implying this I sure hope you are not a decision maker at ford as I find that logic and ethics not the greatest and to be honest a bit disgusting.

What is the number one priority of an engineer? Hint it is not money.

Aug 14, 2021

GRONINGEN - An electric car, a Volkswagen ID 3, caught fire at the end of the morning on Saturday at the Helper Brink in Groningen. The driver had just put her child in the car and wanted to get behind the wheel herself. She took the charging plug out of the car for a moment. Then the car started smoking. She quickly got her child out of the car and brought herself to safety. The flames quickly spread from the car and 911 was called. The fire brigade rushed to the rescue but was unable to save the vehicle. The car burned out completely and there was little left of the car that was towed by a recovery company. A passenger car parked next to this car was also damaged by the fire. The cause of the car fire is not yet known, but it is believed to have a technical cause.

Good to hear she got her child out unharmed.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
It is the person that bought and used the condom? Are you implying if we bought our ford with LG batteries and the batteries are defective that is on us? That is not the most ethical thing I have read this morning. If you are implying this I sure hope you are not a decision maker at ford as I find that logic and ethics not the greatest and to be honest a bit disgusting.

What is the number one priority of an engineer? Hint it is not money.

Aug 14, 2021

GRONINGEN - An electric car, a Volkswagen ID 3, caught fire at the end of the morning on Saturday at the Helper Brink in Groningen. The driver had just put her child in the car and wanted to get behind the wheel herself. She took the charging plug out of the car for a moment. Then the car started smoking. She quickly got her child out of the car and brought herself to safety. The flames quickly spread from the car and 911 was called. The fire brigade rushed to the rescue but was unable to save the vehicle. The car burned out completely and there was little left of the car that was towed by a recovery company. A passenger car parked next to this car was also damaged by the fire. The cause of the car fire is not yet known, but it is believed to have a technical cause.

Good to hear she got her child out unharmed.

Guess you can't understand that some things are not as good as promised. Some items in life outlast others. Maybe one of KFC's secret spices was tainted with something that would cause disease. KFC used it so it's on them but you don't always know what is good or bad from suppliers.

No difference in buying a bagged salad from the store with E. coli.

Since you jump to a conclusion maybe you should understand the point. The manufacturer is at the fault of the supplies they use. Yes, the"manufacturer" can go after the supplier later but that's between them.

Tell me a company in the world that has never had fault. Tell a person also. I'll wait. No accidents are good and you can post stories about bad things happening. Sad and hurtful as they are bad things happen. The point made is correct and you try to twist it into a feelings story. Grow up.

The blame goes on the manufacturer, not the buyer don't twist things. Unless you know something is not as good and you buy it anyways and use it. I mean John Wayne toilet paper will work. But your booty hole might wish you used Charmin.

Have a nice day sweetheart.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guess you can't understand that some things are not as good as promised. Some items in life outlast others. Maybe one of KFC's secret spices was tainted with something that would cause disease. KFC used it so it's on them but you don't always know what is good or bad from suppliers.

No difference in buying a bagged salad from the store with E. coli.

Since you jump to a conclusion maybe you should understand the point. The manufacturer is at the fault of the supplies they use. Yes, the"manufacturer" can go after the supplier later but that's between them.

Tell me a company in the world that has never had fault. Tell a person also. I'll wait. No accidents are good and you can post stories about bad things happening. Sad and hurtful as they are bad things happen. The point made is correct and you try to twist it into a feelings story. Grow up.

The blame goes on the manufacturer, not the buyer don't twist things. Unless you know something is not as good and you buy it anyways and use it. I mean John Wayne toilet paper will work. But your booty hole might wish you used Charmin.

Have a nice day sweetheart.
So you are saying it is the automobile manufacture that is responsible that I understand but it did not read that way it was the purchaser of the end product the "condom". I did say implying as I was not sure. I do understand that the buck stops at the top which is GM and it is them left holding the bag. They can seek compensation down the road from LG but in the mean time it is a GM problem not a costumer one. GM has the duty of care and it was their decision to use that supplier and not the end user of the condom. That I understand.

Your clarification I now also understand.

Thanks I will hun.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
So you are saying it is the automobile manufacture that is responsible that I understand but it did not read that way it was the purchaser of the end product the "condom". I did say implying as I was not sure. I do understand that the buck stops at the top which is GM and it is them left holding the bag. They can seek compensation down the road from LG but in the mean time it is a GM problem not a costumer one. GM has the duty of care and it was their decision to use that supplier and not the end user of the condom. That I understand.

Your clarification I now also understand.

Thanks I will hun.
it can be the manufacturer's fault, the supplier or the consumer's fault. Each situation is different. I would figure your educated enough to know this. I mean if I'm allergic to peanuts, a type of soap, or have a medical condition. Up to me to know what I can and can't do.

Also, some things that the government says are safe in other countries they are banned. most people understand this situation compared to others.
Sponsored