Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
it can be the manufacturer's fault, the supplier or the consumer's fault. Each situation is different. I would figure your educated enough to know this. I mean if I'm allergic to peanuts, a type of soap, or have a medical condition. Up to me to know what I can and can't do.

Also, some things that the government says are safe in other countries they are banned. most people understand this situation compared to others.
You can always blame your employees and/or suppliers for mistakes and defects in your company but that is certainly not very grown up. The customer is not to blame for defects in batteries and/or condoms. You have represented yourself here as affiliated to Ford and that is why I requested clarification. I do not want others here to have the wrong understand or that they should think that they bought it so live with it. I am sure Ford is better than that and if they uncover a problem will deal with it ethically. Right now it is GM and VW I see no Ford problem to date.
Sponsored

Cat

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 3.2 TL
Country flag
I am the unfortunate new owner of a BoLt EUV. I am still on this forum because I placed my order for a Mach-e in early April, but I could no longer wait because of a 20 year old car with increasing reliability problems.

I purchased the BoLt EUV 29 days ago, and quite honestly, I love the car. But I’m now afraid of it. I now must park in our driveway, however if it catches fire, my next door neighbor’s house is in jeopardy. I can’t park in the garage as master bedroom is above the garage. I can’t park on the street….live in an HOA situation.

Today I called Chevy to start the buyback process, which will take time and is in no way guaranteed. As an alternative to the buyback, GM does provide loaner cars until the fix can be done.

I’m in a quandary. While I would like to keep the car, I do not trust the fix. I would prefer a whole new battery pack rather than a few modules. I don’t even trust a Chevy mechanic would do the module replacement properly and I do not want to worry every day about a fire.

I realize this is a Mach-e forum, but you guys here are far more technical than the Bolt forum.

Would you have confidence in the module fix or would you pursue the buyback option?

thanks,
Carolyn

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
This is from 2013 for ICE cars. Its from insurance claims so probably low as a certain number of ICE cars that burn, cars won't be insured or claimed.

Bolt 2017-2021, ~ 60,000 cars, per ICE we should be expecting about 12 fires a year.

Like I said storm in a teacup, if GM hadn't panicked.

One other thing. With ICE as the car ages the risk of fires doubles and triples. With EV's it actually goes down over time.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM Recalling All Chevy Bolts 1629817369778

Last edited:

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Would you have confidence in the module fix or would you pursue the buyback option?
Only you can make that decision.

Personally I have studied the fires and the incident rate is very very low. About what should be expected. I have been driving a Chevy Volt since 2010. There were a handful of fires in the early volts as well, including houses burnt. The remainder went on to a long uneventful life. I have a lot of confidence in the engineering behind the Bolt.

I would follow GM recommendations. They do seem to want to step up and replace the battery. Honestly if the Bolt folks start selling their cars at a loss I'm going to buy one. :) I'm in the market. I think there are a lot of folks like me who would like to score a cheap Bolt.

Reactions: Cat

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
LG has admitted to GM and the NHTSA that there are in fact manufacturing defects in the old and new cells and it is not based on where they are made. See page 3 about the teardowns and inspections.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V650-2919.PDF

Bolts were initially delivered in late 2016, but the first fire did not occur until March of 2019. So it takes some time before the defect results in an actual shorted cell. On the other hand, the 2020 that burned only had 6K miles on it.

If I were Ford and VW, I would be asking LG to teardown and inspect some batteries for their cars as well. That would be proactive in getting ahead of any possible issues.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
You can always blame your employees and/or suppliers for mistakes and defects in your company but that is certainly not very grown up. The customer is not to blame for defects in batteries and/or condoms. You have represented yourself here as affiliated to Ford and that is why I requested clarification. I do not want others here to have the wrong understand or that they should think that they bought it so live with it. I am sure Ford is better than that and if they uncover a problem will deal with it ethically. Right now it is GM and VW I see no Ford problem to date.
Again if you know an item purchased has problems and you buy it anyway it's not a good choice. Again and again, condom, soap, food, car whatever. My statement said clear a product known to not be as good. I have represented myself as me and no one else.
Keep trying to put words out there and twist. Done with ya bro.

Yes everyone thanks for the messages saying he is true arguing to argue I know. You're the one saying they have to deal with it. It's you jumping to conclusions and rambling on.
Problems exist and things get fixed. Way of life.

Who said the customer was to blame for defects? Not I again you're saying things no one else said. Jumping to conclusions. You can want clarification all day long of what you want but I or anyone giving it to you is up to them. Others on here don't have the wrong understanding they can get it. The 100 plus Pvt messages tell me that. It's you that can't make the connection. Done with it and you Shayne. People like you and comments are why more and more people just stay away.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I am the unfortunate new owner of a BoLt EUV. I am still on this forum because I placed my order for a Mach-e in early April, but I could no longer wait because of a 20 year old car with increasing reliability problems.

I purchased the BoLt EUV 29 days ago, and quite honestly, I love the car. But I’m now afraid of it. I now must park in our driveway, however if it catches fire, my next door neighbor’s house is in jeopardy. I can’t park in the garage as master bedroom is above the garage. I can’t park on the street….live in an HOA situation.

Today I called Chevy to start the buyback process, which will take time and is in no way guaranteed. As an alternative to the buyback, GM does provide loaner cars until the fix can be done.

I’m in a quandary. While I would like to keep the car, I do not trust the fix. I would prefer a whole new battery pack rather than a few modules. I don’t even trust a Chevy mechanic would do the module replacement properly and I do not want to worry every day about a fire.

I realize this is a Mach-e forum, but you guys here are far more technical than the Bolt forum.

thanks,
Carolyn
The big issue I read is that GM initially thought they could identify failed modules seperately but has now seen that they can't and would have to replace the entire batteries. It's a huge mess and unknown when/how things are going to go at this time. Every EV battery could become one of these random fires. As said above, storm in a teacup... But it is a real issue that "if" you have the defect is essentially a hair trigger and goes off when the pack swells a little too much.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is from 2013 for ICE cars. Its from insurance claims so probably low as a certain number of ICE cars that burn, cars won't be insured or claimed.

Bolt 2017-2021, ~ 60,000 cars, per ICE we should be expecting about 12 fires a year.

Like I said storm in a teacup, if GM hadn't panicked.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GM Recalling All Chevy Bolts 1629817369778
You take a risk walking across the street. Everything is relative and the stats are so small I will not be losing any sleep over it. Your chances of being hit by lighting may be greater. If any of ours catch fire whoever it is should run out and buy a lottery ticket.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

thanks,
Carolyn
If you get a chance go to YouTube (WeberAuto) and check this video out Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Disassembly - YouTube , I think you have concern for your doubts about GM mechanics. I wouldn't settle for a module swap, a new battery pack or nothing, take the car back. I was just about to buy one too damn, dodged a bullet! Sorry I know that doesn't help you, goodluck!

Reactions: Cat

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag

thanks,
Carolyn
Odds are good you are safe, but...

As you are in California this is the best info available AFAIK. It refers to an older Bolt but lots of good info:

Cat

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 3.2 TL
Country flag
Odds are good you are safe, but...

As you are in California this is the best info available AFAIK. It refers to an older Bolt but lots of good info:

Thanks for the info. I started the buyback process yesterday, and had to send all of the above mentioned documentation. Now I wait a few days for a California-based GM person to call. I will ask for a new full battery pack, not module replacements. After seeing Prof. Kelly’s YouTube video, I have no confidence in a dealer mechanic doing module swaps correctly. I could be worse off. If this is a no go, we do the buy out. And then I figure out what in hell I drive next.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
:) I'm in the market. I think there are a lot of folks like me who would like to score a cheap Bolt.
I predict you will be successful in your quest.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I started the buyback process yesterday, and had to send all of the above mentioned documentation. Now I wait a few days for a California-based GM person to call. I will ask for a new full battery pack, not module replacements. After seeing Prof. Kelly’s YouTube video, I have no confidence in a dealer mechanic doing module swaps correctly. I could be worse off. If this is a no go, we do the buy out. And then I figure out what in hell I drive next.
Smart move! I took two of Prof. Kelly's online classes and signed up for the third bootcamp in Utah hopefully this November. I will be asking him many many questions about the GM issue because I know he's a real big fan of their products. He has owned many! He also told me the college has a Mach-E on order! I had to laugh when he told me that, it's due in December. I'll miss that vehicle damn it when I'm there in November. Good luck with your GM adventure. My Mach-E is at the dealership right now getting software updates. I had to fight like hell to get them to do anything. No codes showing "No Undates"! PERIOD. I finally showed him some codes from my phone app (ODB2 App) and he got quiet! He said without blinking an eye we need the car for 48 Hours! Ford isn't friendly, but they sure take your money pretty quickly!

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

thanks,
Carolyn
I would have confidence in the module fix. I say this as having a vested interest in Ford, and benefit if you buy a Mach-E.

Think of the Boeing 737 Max. Boeing must make this plane right. Another crash of this airliner may mean the death of the company. GM is in this same position with their EV reputation, maybe not quite as serious, but serious nonetheless.

Given this, some people still will never fly on a 737 Max. And that's OK, too.

The difference now is that GM looks to be past the largest issue in this situation... they now know what is actually causing the fires. Normally fixing an engineering problem is easy, but finding what the real cause of the problem is hard... real hard.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Bolts were initially delivered in late 2016, but the first fire did not occur until March of 2019. So it takes some time before the defect results in an actual shorted cell. On the other hand, the 2020 that burned only had 6K miles on it.

If I were Ford and VW, I would be asking LG to teardown and inspect some batteries for their cars as well. That would be proactive in getting ahead of any possible issues.
So are you positing the theory that Ford and LG were not aware of the battery issues before building our Mach Es?
Would be nice to think they fixed the issue before putting the batteries in the Mach E…
Sponsored