Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Has anyone noticed that the GOM has now become very optimistic in cooler weather?
Sponsored

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
Yes. 240 every morning at 90%.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Has anyone noticed that the GOM has now become very optimistic in cooler weather?
not mine, I get 168 at 90% charge on a GTPE. Sad part is it's accurate and not pessimistic.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I actually think mine’s more accurate now. Extrapolating to about 225 with temp in the 30s. Before the update, it was 180-ish.

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Yes, likely due to all the people screaming "wrong battery" or "broken" at winter range estimate. My estimate is now same as summer range. I drove 80 miles yesterday, GOM dropped close to 110. Same percentage drop though. I prefer the older more accurate estimate. What is the point of the estimated number if that number is just bullshit.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My perspective is that the new GOM is not very useful for highway driving, which is unfortunately where the GOM is most important (road trips). The old GOM was pretty accurate for highway driving IMHO.

The new GOM is probably more accurate for blended or local driving, but I don't care much about the GOM in that context.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Since the GOM update, I took my first longer highway trip today in an average temp of 25°F, on flat terrain, utilizing on board navigation. My GOM started this morning at 245 at 90%, ambient temp of 40 in my garage. I drove 7 miles on streets and 80 miles on the highway (73 mph, locked), and another 23 miles to my destination on a road with 55mph speed limit and saw an updated GOM of 105 at the end of the drive. I ran the heat on low at 70 and had my seat heat on medium and wheel heat on.

Total drive was 111 miles. GOM indicated 105 left. 245-216 = 29 mile difference. Note, I also have 20" aftermarket wheels and tires (255/45/20) Michelin all sport 4's.

Noting my speed and heat use, as well as wheel and tire size efficiency loss, the car performed very well. I anticipate the GOM to be more accurate as time goes on with these wheels and tires.

Here's hoping for the more accurate range predictions in Ford navigation this year.

Screenshot_20230127_144641_FordPass~2.jpg

Ebf1974

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium awd extended range
Country flag
So this change was intended? My car estimated its range accurately for the first 18 months. Didn't always love the range but it accounted for weather and driving style nicely. Now (last two months +/-) it is stupid, to the point where an 80% charge is estimated at 220 miles even though I am going to make the same commute at almost all highways at 75-80 mph at 20-40* temps. I'd guess my range is really no more than 160 miles under these conditions.
This makes no sense, so I thought it was unique to my MME because my car does so many stupid things.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So this change was intended? My car estimated its range accurately for the first 18 months. Didn't always love the range but it accounted for weather and driving style nicely. Now (last two months +/-) it is stupid, to the point where an 80% charge is estimated at 220 miles even though I am going to make the same commute at almost all highways at 75-80 mph at 20-40* temps. I'd guess my range is really no more than 160 miles under these conditions.
This makes no sense, so I thought it was unique to my MME because my car does so many stupid things.
People have a lot of different opinions about the GOM, but I find the current version more accurate than the previous versions after it's had enough time to adjust. If you just had an OTA update or service, you GOM might have been reset to EPA, after which it takes about 500 miles of driving for it to adjust to your actual efficiency. It seems to work more like the DTE in an ICE Ford now.

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Same observation for me. The original GOM was pretty accurate. Since 3.6.1 (or thereabouts), it always show 216 to 224 miles of range at 80%, which equates to 270 to 280 total range. Even though temps have been below 50 since November.

Actual range has been somewhere in the 180 to 200 or so range. For me at least, it isn't learning or adjusting for temp at all. Not a major issue since I know what it can actually get, but I am curious why they changed the original algorithm. Seems like a step backwards, though I realize others have had the opposite experience.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Same observation for me. The original GOM was pretty accurate. Since 3.6.1 (or thereabouts), it always show 216 to 224 miles of range at 80%, which equates to 270 to 280 total range. Even though temps have been below 50 since November.

Actual range has been somewhere in the 180 to 200 or so range. For me at least, it isn't learning or adjusting for temp at all. Not a major issue since I know what it can actually get, but I am curious why they changed the original algorithm. Seems like a step backwards, though I realize others have had the opposite experience.
It does adjust based on battery pack temperature, but that's it now. The rest is supposed to be an average of your driving history. What that means is when it gets cold, it will take about 500 miles of driving in it before your GOM will be accurate. Same when it warms up, it will take a while for the average to come back up. The old algorithm was way too pessimistic on my car in winter, like -25% error.

Mine shows 179 mi at 80%, temps have been in the 30's. My efficiency has been around 2.4 mi/kWh recently. Therefore my GOM optimistic by about 10-15 miles currently (about 5-10% error in the optimistic direction).

I strongly suspect there are still glitches in some of the vehicle software that causes it to automatically reset to EPA mileage or not calculate efficiency correctly. Those glitches in older software may be why some vehicles have a lot of issues with their GOM accuracy. It may not be until you are fully caught up with current 4.2.x OTAs, and possibly another powertrain update, that it has a chance of working as designed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Those big numbers I ignore on the IP display? I haven’t noticed a change since I ignore it and use the fuel level meter. I am an old dog. 🤪🐩

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
I’m still hopeful they will release an update that allows me to hide (or at least minimize) the mileage estimate and simply show the battery percent remaining.
Sponsored