GPS on wireless CarPlay better since iOS 17.4?

Jeff-NoVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I am noticing far fewer, if almost no occasions now where my GPS in apps like Waze is completely off track while using wireless CarPlay. This seems to have coincided with the release of iOS 17.4. Is anybody else noticing an improvement? This is with an iPhone 15 Pro Max (now on 17.4.1).
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I can kinda confirm that. But if I use the setting for the map to point the direction I am going (arrow with the little line above it) the whole map screen twitches.just a smidge but realize the whole map twitches just a like left then right then left.

however after playing with my phone for a bit I firmly believe it’s the fact the phone isn’t laying down flat. I have mine mag mount at about 30 degrees in the console. I think it’s that (which I’ll try on the way to the office right now) or the cars wireless charger messing with the new super sensitive gps.

It is better, and did start with 17

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Still bad on my end. If I’m not moving it loses me and turns me into that pulsing blue circle. And then the map if I’m making a turn snaps in 45° increments so I’ll be fully through the turn and it snaps to 45° through the turn and then 90° through the turn a few seconds later, I’m already through the turn and probably 5 cars down the road.

sitting stationary I took this video just turning the phone right to left

corse being the direction of travel, which kept going back to 14 degrees even though I'm not moving. Speed randomly jumps to 2 or 3 mph. Apple won't admit it and I'm still trying to come up with a good reason for them to warranty the phone.

Last edited:

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I am noticing far fewer, if almost no occasions now where my GPS in apps like Waze is completely off track while using wireless CarPlay. This seems to have coincided with the release of iOS 17.4. Is anybody else noticing an improvement? This is with an iPhone 15 Pro Max (now on 17.4.1).
I have the 15 Pro Max. Recently, it used to always be off track when the phone was in my pocket. So, started putting the phone in the cup holder and that was working fine for GPS.

I'll try with the phone back in my pocket, that worked solid for the first couple of years in the car.
I have 17.4.1 now as well.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Mine has been better but still not amazing.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
For me, the dash, my lap, the back seat, console, my mag mount, the car's wireless mount, passenger seat, my front yard, driveway, desk(s) all act the same. But if I take the phone out of the case it's ever slightly better but that might just be my mind.

Using the compass app (Because maps uses that to gain it's heading) without a case I can point the phone in a direction and roll the phone left or right not changing yaw or pitch and my compass will jump around +/- 1 to 10 degrees. Which makes no sense to me and I think might be the way I get Apple to replace the phone. But I never remember to go into a store and try that out. There's no forceful way to recalibrate the compass in IOS 16+ that I've found.

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
My current phone (iPhone 15 Pro) has this problem frequently - but not all the time (and I'm on 17.4.1). I haven't noticed much improvement lately. It's more likely to work better in good weather than bad and taking it out of my pocket and putting it on the pad, or cup holder, or arm rest almost always makes it work correctly. My previous iPhone 13 Pro had fewer GPS issues (but still had some).

Wireless CarPlay is supposed to use the car's GPS receiver, but I question if it's implemented correctly. Don't know if it's the MME or the phone at fault since this is my only vehicle with wireless CarPlay.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
This is comical. I removed the car from CP, reset network settings, reset the compass, turned off compass on maps and.

These other videos are processing but worth the laugh.
I'm backing up all my TOPT and other keys and about to take the terrible reset plunge.

Last edited:

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
For what it’s worth, I recently rented a Mazda on a trip, and used wireless CarPlay with my usual phone. It crapped out on me in the exact same way.

So to me, this doesn’t appear to be a Ford problem, but rather and Apple problem as the phone was the common denominator.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
The 15 pro has some new super GPS from India in it. I think it's far to active for the apps using it currently. If I had a way to turn that off I think we'd all be happier.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ll-you-need-to-know/articleshow/103633966.cms
Because my wifes 15plus side by side to my promax works perfectly fine.
I've also got about 100 photos that can not be deleted, simply told "this photo can not be deleted" Via the phone or Photos app. I'm starting to lean towards bad bits of memory.

Last edited:

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Maybe it is time for me to upgrade. Since I got the iPhone 14 I got myself a “flying” car.

IMG_2866.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeff-NoVA

Jeff-NoVA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I guess my experience has been far from universal. But ultimately I have to wonder why CarPlay isn't using the cars GPS.

gmains

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach-E Premium AWD ER,2011 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Technical Support Manager
Country flag
I have this same issue but I think I found a way to avoid it. If I get in the car, hit the start button, then wait for the CarPlay to FULLY connect and the GPS to show my location on the map BEFORE putting the car into drive or reverse and moving, it does not exhibit this behavior. I have been doing this for about a month now and it works every time, where if I start moving before CarPlay is fully connected, it freaks out the GPS location about 50% of the time.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Still shit on mine. I have to hide the phone for it to use the car’s antenna.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I have this same issue but I think I found a way to avoid it. If I get in the car, hit the start button, then wait for the CarPlay to FULLY connect and the GPS to show my location on the map BEFORE putting the car into drive or reverse and moving, it does not exhibit this behavior. I have been doing this for about a month now and it works every time, where if I start moving before CarPlay is fully connected, it freaks out the GPS location about 50% of the time.
Yeah I don't the order matters. I've had CarPlay EVs for almost 3 years and experienced this random GPS position on almost all of them - BMW i4, Ioniq 5, my various Mach-Es. CarPlay is Satan's Spawn.
Sponsored