OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
is the 70-100 time starting from 70, or extrapolated from a 0-100+ run?
Itā€™s better than nothing, but extrapolated times like this will be faster than starting from 70 then flooring it.

Why?

Even though we call it ā€œinstantā€ acceleration, it still isnā€™t instant.

Itā€™s why even with electric cars, the 5-60 mph times are slower than 0-60.

And on a GT, the extrapolated time from a 0-110 run would actually be slower because of the 5 sec limit. Starting at 70 instead you would get a glimpse of full power still.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Itā€™s better than nothing, but extrapolated times like this will be faster than starting from 70 then flooring it.

Why?

Even though we call it ā€œinstantā€ acceleration, it still isnā€™t instant.

Itā€™s why even with electric cars, the 5-60 mph times are slower than 0-60.

And on a GT, the extrapolated time from a 0-110 run would actually be slower because of the 5 sec limit. Starting at 70 instead you would get a glimpse of full power still.
the GT starts pulling power already at 72 whether you accelerated to that speed, or already cruising at a steady state.

The reason I wanted to know what the acceleration time from 70-100 (starting at a cruising speed of 70) is that I have a feeling that the GT might be slower, hence has less power than the 4x premium after 70 even if you did not use your 5 secs yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
the GT starts pulling power already at 72 whether you accelerated to that speed, or already cruising at a steady state.

The reason I wanted to know what the acceleration time from 70-100 (starting at a cruising speed of 70) is that I have a feeling that the GT might be slower, hence has less power than the 4x premium after 70 even if you did use your 5 secs yet.
I think you may be right (that itā€™s slower), I just havenā€™t seen the side by side or data to confirm yet.

I know you get 2 bars at 72 mph no matter what. But I still suspect that you get more power reduction when you floor it from zero than when you start at 70.

I also suspect the 72 mph grey bars arenā€™t exactly ā€œhonest.ā€

Itā€™s supposed to pull power based on how much discharge over time, but I noticed at 72 mph they showed up even with NO discharge.

I was coasting down the skyway bridge last week in whisper. And while coasting the car sped up from 65 to 72ā€¦ā€¦. And the grey bars showed up.

I also wonder how the 4X and GT compare when itā€™s really cold. Seems the Gt pulls even more power then.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Iā€™d buy a Dragy and do it on my GT, for science, but I would be really scared to find out that my ā€œperformanceā€ car is slower than the lower trim not designed for ā€œperformanceā€ :-(

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
But of course I went ahead and bought a Dragy. Should be here in a couple daysā€¦

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My Dragy is here. Just have to make time to get to the crows landing and do the runs

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
tomorrow's the big day, I am charging my Dragy right now, taking it to a decom'd airstrip tomorrow to do the runs. The #1 will be 70 cruise to 100mph pull. There seems to be plenty of data for other runs so I'll prioritize the highest SoC for that one. it's supposed to be 75 degrees & sunny out there tomorrow, seems perfect.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
**EDIT** decided just to keep continuity in this thread for better or worse... Anyway. WHY am I doing this in this thread. Apparently there is no 70-100 pulls available for GT MME's, at least not here, so I bought a Dragy and set out to find a place to do such pulls in a completely legal way, except for "driving to an undisclosed road in Mexico" or whatever the YouTubers say when they break speed laws on roads. This can be consumed guilt-free! No need for public road speeding.

I am also SUPER tired, it has been a long (but fun!!!) day and I remember how much I liked autocross and drag racing. Super awesome time. Watching the tuner cars skirt around the cones, and watching the RC jet guys fly around, was such a rewarding time.

Back to the topic. So what I did was went with my buddy out to a decommissioned NASA test facility, in Patterson, CA where there are autoX events every weekend, with plenty of hoonigans all the time, along with RC planes and fighter jets and all sorts of cool stuff! It is a MASSIVE set of air strips, complete with the 7000+ foot primary runway, that is straight and pretty level (you'll see more later w/ the DRAGY results) and then taxiways and another runway that has been set up with cones, tires etc, as an autoX course. VERY cool, there is video from these events on YT and Reddit, if you wanna see it, worth checking out (not mine).

I imagined awesome space shuttles and stuff landing there in eras past and it felt amazing to be there!

We did a bunch of GoPro 360 stuff, I don't have a channel to upload larger videos to, so I didn't post any of those really awesome exterior videos. I ALSO have GoPro video of one of the pulls from 70-100 showing the instrument cluster in the event that someone wanted to see the numbers click up and the jailbars grow over time.

Methodology for the 70-100 run: I started at the end of the runway, and accelerated slowly and steadily to 70, then jammed it from 70-100 then let the car regenerate as it slowed down. It was cool to see the SoC going up as it slowed down and regenerated.

With that said, one unfortunate component of this test is that we could not hit the EA station on the way as it was *FULL* (shocker) so we had to do the run with a suboptimal 56% starting SoC. Temperature was great, not too hot, not too cold. Surface was very nice, as people routinely use it, and there are car clubs that appear to take active roles in maintaining it as much as people can.

I noticed on the first run that there was a very slight slope of -0.5% so made sure I ran it back as well and then back the other way one more time.

Dragy is such a cool module. Unbelievable it is such an inexpensive tool for what it is capable of doing.

Run 1 - 6.52 seconds with a downward slope
Run 2 - 6.84 seconds with an upward slope
Run 3 - 6.54 seconds with a downward slope

I saw a European YT content creator show the OBD2 + CarScanner data on the screen and I feel like people like seeing it on the comments and such. Therefore, I decided to screen cap the CarScanner data as I did the very last run.

I had to be careful with the SoC, because I had a decent drive back home, and indeed, ended back at the barn with a REALLY low SoC, moreso than I was prepared to see! (13%, yikes!)

I ran one 1/4 mile test with my buddy in the vehicle, also on the "upslope" direction (0.40%) just to stack the deck against the car. The run occurred at the end before we thanked the Road Gods for the opportunity to drive there, and headed back out. At 51% SoC, it was a 4.27 seconds 0-60, 1/8 mile was 8.18 seconds @ 82.50, and 1/4 mile was 13.19 seconds at 94.83 miles per hour. The 5-second power down was palpable on wide open throttle which is, admittedly, difficult to experience on roads controlled by speed limits and traffic laws that aren't closed road courses.

All testing done in "unbridled mode" not that it makes a difference at all for the "standard" GT.

I hope that this is useful to someone. In the very least, it was a lot of fun, a good road trip with a friend I haven't seen in a long time, and being out there with a whole bunch of auto enthusiasts was incredible. I would like to do this again, in the same conditions, but 80%+ SoC like I had planned it to be.

Run 1.JPG

Run 2.JPG

Run 3.JPG

IMG-1281.jpg

IMG-5556.jpg

Last edited:

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
It's freezing out (about 37Ā°F) but allegedly my car did a few 70-100 pulls from about 68/69mph. Approximately 75% SOC.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? Screenshot_20221022-091228_dragy

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed report. Crazy how much power it loses at 50% state of charge. 1/4 run at 94mph. Yikes.
Sponsored