sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Are explorers an SUV or a truck? They are a body on frame, I always thought they were SUVs ?
That said, I agree with "large hatchback" but compact SUV would work also. Is a Subaru Outback a station wagon, a sport utility wagon, or an SUV. I'm confused :eek:
Explorers are unibody, not body-on-frame. I think back in the 90's they had a body-on-frame design (that tended to rollover). But they're unibody and SUV in my book :)

EDIT: It seems only the very recent Explorers are unibody, so before that they were trucks in my very loose definition ?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
EDIT: It seems only the very recent Explorers are unibody, so before that they were trucks in my very loose definition ?
Explorers switched to unibody for the 2011 model year. I'm not sure I'd call a decade ago very recent.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Explorers are unibody, not body-on-frame. I think back in the 90's they had a body-on-frame design (that tended to rollover). But they're unibody and SUV in my book :)

the original Explorer was BOF, since it was based off the Ranger. It switched to unibody with the version previous to the current one (around 2010MY)

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
When in doubt, ask a four year old. There are only cars and trucks in his world. The CRV is a car. My Explorer (2006) is a truck. The Mach E is a...car. Case closed :)

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

The current Explorer is more body on (sub)frame. The previous generation FWD Explorer was unibody.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
In California, a Toyota Highlander Hybrid is a Truck. Go figure. If might actually have to do with automaker fleet emission standards.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Good Morning all.....I picked up my mach e last Fri......since then I gotten a lot of looks and comments but 4 times I've gotten the comment/question "IS THAT A MUSTANG TRUCK" or FORD MAKES A MUSTANG TRUCK"......made me laugh......I was just wondering if it is a common thing or just here in North New Jersey, haha
Where in north Jersey? I'll be joining your MME ranks eventually!

OP
OP

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Where in north Jersey? I'll be joining your MME ranks eventually!
I'm in bergen cty....dealer was All American Hackensack, I live about 4-5 miles from there....in fact often I walk there when one of my cars is in service.....yes they do provide pick up and drop off.....the walk is nice and I usually walk 5+ miles/day.....

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I'm in bergen cty....dealer was All American Hackensack, I live about 4-5 miles from there....in fact often I walk there when one of my cars is in service.....yes they do provide pick up and drop off.....the walk is nice and I usually walk 5+ miles/day.....
Nice, I got my ‘06 Mustang from there. Good experience buying the Mach E from them?
Sponsored