Has Anyone Received a Ford Connected Charge Station?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ordered mine as soon as it was available on Ford Parts.com. Status is still “Processing”. Dealer tells me they don’t know the status. The part description on the website says they’re supposed to ship in January?
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Ordered mine on the 12th. Still waiting also. Do not have a build date for my car as of yet so...

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had ordered one. When I contacted the local dealer that was to fulfill the order, they stated the Part# had been cancelled and refunded the purchase. I suspect part# changed or something, but I didn't bother placing another order as it seems like they are having trouble getting the part.

I ended up buying and installing the Chargepoint Flex and I love it.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks! Well, my order still shows “Processing” and my car is still “In Production”. I had the electrician put in a 240V outlet and the wiring that would support a 60A circuit, but only put in a 50A GFCI breaker of course. I’m thinking that, if the Ford Connected Charge Station turns out to be vapor ware, I can just get a ChargePoint Flex and run it at 48A instead of 50A (I don’t think the Mustang Mach E would use more than 48A at 240V anyway,).

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am not aware of any that have shipped yet. The manufacturer said they were delayed until spring. Ford said late Jan. I would put my money on spring. There should be ample supply by April I would think....

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! Well, my order still shows “Processing” and my car is still “In Production”. I had the electrician put in a 240V outlet and the wiring that would support a 60A circuit, but only put in a 50A GFCI breaker of course. I’m thinking that, if the Ford Connected Charge Station turns out to be vapor ware, I can just get a ChargePoint Flex and run it at 48A instead of 50A (I don’t think the Mustang Mach E would use more than 48A at 240V anyway,).
Actually, most EVSE that you can buy have their own builtin GFCI, so you should put them on a non-GFCI breaker. Staggering 2 GFCI like that can cause them to unintentionally trip. Also, if you hardwire a 48A EVSE you'll need to put a 60A breaker in.

There are several long threads about chargers, wiring them, and the benefits of each. It's probably worth spending an evening reading through those.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The Ford charger is hard wired only. Doesn't come with plug. The ChargePoint does come with a plug, but it can be changed to hardwired install. If your breaker is 50A, you need to run the charger at 40A. As others have pointed out the breaker should not be GFCI.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Actually, most EVSE that you can buy have their own builtin GFCI, so you should put them on a non-GFCI breaker. Staggering 2 GFCI like that can cause them to unintentionally trip. Also, if you hardwire a 48A EVSE you'll need to put a 60A breaker in.

There are several long threads about chargers, wiring them, and the benefits of each. It's probably worth spending an evening reading through those.
I should have clarified that, of course, I'd swap out the 50A breaker for a 60A breaker when I go to a hardwired EVSE that handles higher current (not to exceed the wiring I've run).

The Ford Connected Charge Station instructions recommend GFCI breakers, both for the NEMA 14-50 Outlet and for the hardwire installation. From the instructions:
NEMA 14-50 OUTLET DETAILS
* CIRCUIT BREAKER
50A - GFCI Recommended

FORD CONNECTED CHARGE STATION
DETAILS
* CIRCUIT BREAKER
60A - GFCI Recommended

So, I'm just going with what Ford is recommending for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. If I get the Ford Connected Charge Station, I'll go with their recommendation for a 60A GFCI breaker. If I go with another manufacturer's Level 2 EVSE, I'll follow their installation instructions and recommendations.

Finally, I should note that I'm not doing any of this myself. I'm having all work done by a licensed electrician. So, as far as correct circuit breaker ratings for the wiring and the outlets/EVSEs, I'm sure he'll keep me honest. I'm also providing him with all of the installation instructions for the EVSEs, including the instructions that Ford has made available so far for preparing the right outlets and wiring for both a 240 outlet and the Ford Connected Charge Station.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I should have clarified that, of course, I'd swap out the 50A breaker for a 60A breaker when I go to a hardwired EVSE that handles higher current (not to exceed the wiring I've run).

The Ford Connected Charge Station instructions recommend GFCI breakers, both for the NEMA 14-50 Outlet and for the hardwire installation. From the instructions:
NEMA 14-50 OUTLET DETAILS
* CIRCUIT BREAKER
50A - GFCI Recommended

FORD CONNECTED CHARGE STATION
DETAILS
* CIRCUIT BREAKER
60A - GFCI Recommended

So, I'm just going with what Ford is recommending for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. If I get the Ford Connected Charge Station, I'll go with their recommendation for a 60A GFCI breaker. If I go with another manufacturer's Level 2 EVSE, I'll follow their installation instructions and recommendations.
You're looking at an outdated copy of the installer recommendations for the FCCS.

Load the current version.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

You're looking at an outdated copy of the installer recommendations for the FCCS.

Load the current version.
So, I'm looking at this website. Is there a more current one?

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So, I'm looking at this website. Is there a more current one?
Found it - The updated instructions are here. It's only the Ford Connected Charge Station that they now don't recommend a GFCI breaker for. A GFCI breaker is still recommended for a 240V 50A outlet.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Found it - The updated instructions are here. It's only the Ford Connected Charge Station that they now don't recommend a GFCI breaker for. A GFCI breaker is still recommended for a 240V 50A outlet.

However, since the Ford Connected Charge Station, seems to be vaporware, this is pretty much an academic discussion ???

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
If you use a 14-50 receptacle, please make sure it is an industrial grade one. On the other EV forums, people have reported incidents of lesser quality receptacles melting.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you use a 14-50 receptacle, please make sure it is an industrial grade one. On the other EV forums, people have reported incidents of lesser quality receptacles melting.
Thanks for the tip! Hopefully, no matter what, the 14-50 receptacle is temporary

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Staggering 2 GFCI like that can cause them to unintentionally trip.
I respectfully disagree with this. Every hair dryer has a GFCI on the plug and every bathroom receptacle installed per code since 1979 is GFCI protected. They don't cause each other to trip.

The technical explanation: a GFCI measures the current in the conductors. If the difference is greater than a preset value (normally 3ma) it means the difference is flowing to ground instead of where it's supposed to and trips. A second GFCI on a circuit will not cause this current imbalance unless it's faulty.
Sponsored