Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for the perspective. Personally, I want to make the decision on the car, not the charging network. But I can't get around the fact that it is a factor. I mentioned this to my Mach-E salesman, and he pulled out a Tesla supercharger adapter from his desk drawer and said the Mach-E could use Tesla superchargers. So doesn't that make it a nonissue? I haven't looked into it so I don't know if he was blowing smoke. For my own personally use, 99% of my charging will be at home to go back and forth to work and occasional drives in the SF Bay Area. We do have two other gas powered cars still available for long road trips, though I would certainly like to take the EV for a long trip if practical.
He misrepresented the facts. Either by ignorance or flat out deception. There is no adapter that allows the Mach-E to use the Tesla Supercharger network.

Someday maybe. Not today though.

The really sad thing is the Mach-E is an absolute pleasure to drive on long trips. If the EA network was reliable then I wouldn't think twice about taking the Mach-E out of town.

I think EVs are the absolute best choice for daily drivers and very easy to use. Range anxiety around town is a complete and total non issue. The only issue with EVs is the DCFC experience. If your use case relies on DCFC often then get the Tesla. If not, then the Mach-E is a very good vehicle to consider provided you are okay with a key fob.

Someone else posted about Phone As A Key (PaaK) earlier and that is also a good thing to be aware of. It isn't reliable for most users. I didn't bring it up because I don't care if it works or not because I don't want a car that only I can drive. Which is one of the reasons I didn't consider a Tesla. It is so complicated to operate that I wouldn't feel comfortable loaning it out to friends or family unless I wanted to spend 15 minutes explaining how everything works. With the Mach-E, I can hand the fob to any competent driver and off they go without any special training.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Get a mAchE select RWD and take the saving and use it to fund a year of a Roth for you or yours..

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cal Route 1 AWD Grabber Blue (on order)
Country flag
No.

The adapter allows him to use most of the Tesla home/destination chargers. It does not work with Superchargers (it does not support DC fast charging or Tesla's billing mechanism).
Are you telling me this car dealer just lied to my face ?. Actually, I'm really not surprised. I half expected that his claim would turn out not to be true. It wasn't a strong selling point to me anyway since most of my charging will be at home.

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the perspective. Personally, I want to make the decision on the car, not the charging network. But I can't get around the fact that it is a factor. I mentioned this to my Mach-E salesman, and he pulled out a Tesla supercharger adapter from his desk drawer and said the Mach-E could use Tesla superchargers. So doesn't that make it a nonissue? I haven't looked into it so I don't know if he was blowing smoke. For my own personally use, 99% of my charging will be at home to go back and forth to work and occasional drives in the SF Bay Area. We do have two other gas powered cars still available for long road trips, though I would certainly like to take the EV for a long trip if practical.
Argh! This is so frustrating to hear this. Sales people should know about the tech they are selling. As another poster said, there is no way for the MME to communicate with the supercharger network. It’s only for destination EVSEs. I think that explaining basic electrical engineering to most people is turning them off regarding EVs. Then you can’t even go to the dealer and get accurate information. No way grandma is gonna buy an EV when the dealer says here take this and it’ll work at superchargers.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Your first couple of points are what sold me on the Mach-E, it’s distinct look and rarity. I never considered a Model Y, not because I have anything against it, but wasn’t really in the market for a new car - Ford’s reveal of the electric SUV Mustang just drew me in lock, stock, and barrel.

I have not driven the Model Y, but think the Mach-E is an excellent vehicle to drive. It is planted, fast, and comfortable. I have an SR AWD Premium. I think the seats are also exceedingly comfortable on the Premium. I prefer them over that of many luxury vehicles.

Aside from all this, here are a few random other things about the Mach-E that I personally like that I do not believe are on the Model Y or are not as easily accessible and that you did not mention (or I missed if you did):

Perforated seats - I think it makes all the difference on a hot day. I really dislike vehicles without perforated seats because it makes your back all sticky on very hot days when you are parked outside.

Easy wiper access - Ok you did mention this, but I have a specific use I wanted to draw attention to. I park outside, my windshield is always getting dusty. I almost always run the wiper with washer fluid at start up. I think this would be a little bit of a hassle to do on the Model Y given the lack of physical controls. I wouldn’t want to go into the screen for this and wouldn’t want to talk to my car either (assuming you can tell it to also spray some washer fluid, not just run the wipers?).

360 degree camera - It really helps with parallel parking and parking lots where the lines are drawn tightly and you’re not sure if you are too far left or right in your spot and want to check/make an adjustment.

On/Off button - Tesla doesn’t have it. Some people prefer that Tesla doesn't have it, making for a more futuristic feel, but I personally like being able to turn devices on or off, I don’t like electronics that just time out on their own, which is sort of how Tesla handles it. I like the ability to control whether a vehicle is on or off.

Button door openers - I really like how you open the doors from the outside on the Mach-E with the buttons that make the door pop out. I don’t like Tesla’s approach as much, the chrome door handles seem to be a magnet for handprints and fingerprints and this always sort of grosses me out a little. Maybe if I knew it were mine, I wouldn’t care, but as a passenger in other peoples Teslas, I don’t look forward to touching the door handle.

Now for areas, where I think the Model Y does better that you didn’t mention or I sort of want to circle back to what you wrote:

Towing - Mach-E isn’t rated for it in the USA. Towing destroys EV range so if you pull a camper regularly halfway across the country, you’d be better off in an ICE. But if you just plan to take jet skis to a local lake or can charge at your destination and don’t have to do any charging on the way (because you can’t back into a Tesla SuperCharger with a trailer), this is a capability the Model Y has that the Mach-E does not. On the other hand, if like most people you’ve never towed a day in your life, this is as irrelevant as it gets.

User Interface - I have no issue with the Mach-E’s except I wish it was faster. You mention you are disappointed Tesla doesn’t have Apple Car Play or Android Auto. But do you really need Apple Car Play or Android Auto? I’ve never been a fan of these overlays, but then again I do little more than listen to the radio and occasionally take calls while driving. If you can do what you want on the Tesla user interface, maybe it’s just a matter of giving it some time to get used to it. On the other hand, I’ve heard people mention how on older Teslas, the UI is close to becoming a brick, so I don’t know if the Tesla UI is really meaningfully faster, or if it’s more of a perception thing because Tesla likes to say it’s a tech company.

One last thing - do you need the longer range? You didn’t mention you’re driving habits. I am perfectly happy with my 211 mile range Mach-E, the lowest range variant there is (SR AWD). It takes $5,000 to get into the ER battery. If you’re a regular roadtripper fine. But if you take one long trip each year, and the ER battery lets you avoid two charging sessions on this annual trip, and you plan to keep the vehicle for five years, you are literally looking at pricing it at $500 per charging stop to skip the grand total of 10 charging seasions over the course of your ownership. You can run the math based on your anticipated use. Otherwise, the SR battery is ample assuming you don’t have an ultra long commute and can charge at home whenever you need, whether it’s once every two weeks, once a week, once every three days, etc.

You are also in the Bay Area so your winters are pretty mild, limiting your cold weather range loss. Anyway, just a thought, the SR RWD Mach-E is even slightly faster 0-60 than the ER RWD as an added benefit if you can live without the range of the ER battery.

These are my thoughts anyway. If you do go for the Model Y, I think the blue with black rims looks particularly good. But like you mentioned, nothing like Grabber Blue for the Tesla.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
What kind of vehicle are you coming from, and what do you like or want to improve on in a new vehicle. I think an important feature is the rear cross traffic detectors and blind spot indicators Ford has. Tesla has you looking at the center display for blind spot and doesn't have cross traffic sensors. Do you use key fob or phone, Ford will come with 2 fobs now. However, Mach E is for early adopters at this time.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What kind of vehicle are you coming from, and what do you like or want to improve on in a new vehicle. I think an important feature is the rear cross traffic detectors and blind spot indicators Ford has. Tesla has you looking at the center display for blind spot and doesn't have cross traffic sensors. Do you use key fob or phone, Ford will come with 2 fobs now. However, Mach E is for early adopters at this time.
Our current cars are a Subaru Outback and Toyota Prius. Both are hatchback, and I wouldn't consider a non-hatchback. The last few stops the Outback made to the gas station cost us $75 each time, which really made me think about the wisdom of buying another gas powered car. We need three cars right now, so might as well make our new one an EV.

OP
OP

pepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
<snip>
Aside from all this, here are a few random other things about the Mach-E that I personally like that I do not believe are on the Model Y or are not as easily accessible and that you did not mention (or I missed if you did):

Perforated seats - I think it makes all the difference on a hot day. I really dislike vehicles without perforated seats because it makes your back all sticky on very hot days when you are parked outside.
<snip>
ARK, thanks for your detailed reply! Lots of good points here. The one about perforated seats is a good one. That is a feature we have on our Outback, and not on the Prius (w/ leather seats), and you are right that it makes a big difference on hot days.

Reactions: ARK

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
In late September, I placed a deposit on the Mach-E ($53,100 for Premium, Extended Range, RWD, Grabber Blue) and the Model Y ($53,990 for Long Range, Pearl White, 19" Gemini, Black Interior). Both were originally scheduled to be delivered in April, though the MY is now showing a Feb 19 - March 19 delivery. I can only buy one. There are still many months before I need to decide. As of today, I am exactly 50/50 on which I will pick. Some of this decision will depend on the available tax credit at the time of purchase. Hopefully congress gets its s*$@ together and both get a credit next year. If one is substantially cheaper due to a tax credit I will likely go that way (though hard to say if the MY shows up without a credit and the Mach-E still has one but is still months away from delivery).

Anyway, I need your help! I've put together a list of pros and cons in the fine tradition of Benjamin Franklin and Walter White. These lists are specific to my own decision, as I see it. Please let me know if any of these considerations are off base, or if there is anything else I should be considering. I will post the two lists in subsequent posts.
The answer depends on what will you do to it. If you just want perfomance, go for the Model Y. For everything else, Including a better daily driver, go for the Mach-E. And the Federal tax credit will apply with the Mach-E only.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Pro or con depending on your own preferences but the category that helped me decide: Douchebag owner who publicly acts like a child, manipulates stocks and sells a bag of lies to consumers promising full self driving to the tune of $10k and years later still hasn’t produced it and admitted he doesn’t think he ever will, yet is still allowing people to pay that $10k. Regularly changes pricing on his vehicles on a whim often undercutting existing customers and prefers his consumers to be beta testers.

Tesla 1 - Ford 0

Also, his cars are ugly in my opinion

AlbanyIan

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Really good feedback, thanks! Acceleration is important because it's fun, but it isn't top on my list. I could spend the extra $2.7K for the AWD on the Mach-E and get (on paper) equivalent 0-60 in 4.8 sec, though it sounds like they might not actually be equivalent. I am not spending that because I prefer the extra range and cheaper price. Still... the extra acceleration is nice. My daughter was impressed when I drove her in the Model Y, and we're lucky we didn't get a ticket!

The interior noise is a consideration, though I do wonder if that becomes more noticeable in an EV where one doesn't hear all the engine noise. Still, I ought to go back and compare again.

Phone as key... I think I'll just by an extra FOB for the Ford. Hopefully future software updates will make this a nonissue.

And Tesla delivery and service center... I live in the SF Bay Area, about 10 miles from the Fremont factory. Service shouldn't be an issue for the MY. These cars are everywhere, which is a point against them in my calculus.
If you want the extra range, I assume it’s because you need it. And if you like the known quantity of the software that runs the Tesla, can’t get that in the MME.
Tesla’s got the charging network to make full use of the range, Ford doesn’t, yet. If these are your top priorities, get the MY and save the MME for someone else. ?
I got the MMEGT so I could do this:

75BE85D7-D3ED-4B1F-830B-B71AEC787D61.jpeg

Rockcity313

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Atlas
Country flag
Advantage Ford Mach-E
  • Body Style. The Mach-E looks great. The body looks muscular. The LED projector headlights on the Premium look amazing, as do the taillights. I also like the futuristic look of the Model Y, but not as much.
  • Paint and color. I ordered the Grabber Blue and love this color! I would almost buy the car just for the color. The Tesla looks good in white, but I don’t think is as much a head turner. Also, I’ve heard credible stories of lower paint quality control on the Tesla, including orange peeling, dust nibs, swirl marks, and more susceptibility to chipping. That last one is a particular concern, as a good paint job shouldn’t easily chip.
  • Build quality. The Mach-E feels solid, and well built. Tesla is known for its inconsistent build quality, including panel gaps, loose parts, and water leaks.
  • Novelty. There are Teslas everywhere. I don’t need to be the only one owning my car, but I’m not sure if it would feel as special if every parking lot I pull into has 10 other cars identical to mine.
  • Dashboard screen behind steering wheel. I just want to see an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. I don’t like that I have to look to the side to see my speed and range on the Model Y. Plus, the upper left of the Model Y screen just looks unpolished to me. The Mach-E does this much better.
  • Physical controls. The Mach-E has physical controls for adjusting the side mirrors, direction of the climate control, a latch to open the glove box, turn on/off interior lights, and operate the windshield wipers. The Model Y does these through the touchscreen. Who wants to adjust their wipers through a touchscreen.
  • Garage door opener. The Mach-E has a real garage door opener in the visor. I have to pay $350 to get this feature in the Model Y touchscreen, which I’m not about to do. I prefer a real button anyway.
  • Apple CarPlay. Why doesn’t the Tesla have this? It’s just stupid.
  • Long company track record. Ford has been here from the start. Tesla is a newcomer, run by a a guy who seems slightly crazy. Will they be around in 10 years?
Man, you pretty much covered it all. I test drove the model y three times before getting the mach-e awd lr. Biggest factors 1)$7500 federal credit, 2)mach-e looks much nicer imo. 3)I trust Fords 100+ years over Elon Musk. I suppose if you like Apple and the restrictions that come with Apple then you'll be fine with Tesla.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I wasn't aware that Tesla doesn't have cross traffic alert. That is a big oversight on their part IMO. Big plus for Mach-E then.

Good to know.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In late September, I placed a deposit on the Mach-E ($53,100 for Premium, Extended Range, RWD, Grabber Blue) and the Model Y ($53,990 for Long Range, Pearl White, 19" Gemini, Black Interior). Both were originally scheduled to be delivered in April, though the MY is now showing a Feb 19 - March 19 delivery. I can only buy one. There are still many months before I need to decide. As of today, I am exactly 50/50 on which I will pick. Some of this decision will depend on the available tax credit at the time of purchase. Hopefully congress gets its s*$@ together and both get a credit next year. If one is substantially cheaper due to a tax credit I will likely go that way (though hard to say if the MY shows up without a credit and the Mach-E still has one but is still months away from delivery).

Anyway, I need your help! I've put together a list of pros and cons in the fine tradition of Benjamin Franklin and Walter White. These lists are specific to my own decision, as I see it. Please let me know if any of these considerations are off base, or if there is anything else I should be considering. I will post the two lists in subsequent posts.
If you are really seeking information you should do a search on this forum for the myriad Mach E vs Model Y threads. This has been asked and answered anew every couple of months.
Sponsored