JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Was playing around in mine this evening and took another video, in case anyone cares....

Tried showing how audible it is, even from the drivers seat.

I will mention that playing back on my desktop speakers doesn't convey the whine very well. Playback on my iPhone does almost perfectly though.
Any response yet from your dealer on this or they still looking at it?

Just hearing that whine is effecting my ears - I would not be able to tolerate it...
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I couldn’t agree more. I want to think it is some sort of defective part rather than someone in charge of this choosing the absolute cheapest possible LCD screen on the market.

With so much effort having gone into making the Mach-E brilliant, it is like an olympic track and field runner conditioning themselves for months on end, making sure they are eating clean all the time, diligently studying and trying different techniques to improve their running, and then tripping and falling on race day as they approach the finish line because they forgot to tie their shoes.

It’s just so out of left field that something like this of all things would be an issue on a modern car, particularly in this price range.
Agreed - its not acceptable and needs to be acknowledged and addressed by Ford.

Reactions: ARK

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Should we try to make a spreadsheet with members that do and don't have the whine sound, just in case Ford tries to say that it's "normal?"

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
In the latest video I could only hear it when the phone was placed inches from the screen. So that's encouraging at least for me. I've got enough electronics that I've accepted that they make noise if you put your ear up to them. Obviously I'd like them to be as quiet as possible. Interesting that no such problem appears to exist for the much larger display.

Not saying this isn't an issue. I'm glad my car isn't being built for a few more months (at least), but it's not like Ford is going to source a new screen by then. I doubt this is something Ford can fix without replacing the screen, and I likewise doubt that Ford is going to decide this issue constitutes a defect.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Any response yet from your dealer on this or they still looking at it?

Just hearing that whine is effecting my ears - I would not be able to tolerate it...
Unfortunately it hasn't progressed much.

Ford said "compare to like model", so when they got a demo model in the service tech claims it has the same whine and is thus "normal". Told them that wasn't good enough for me, but that I know it will take time and more Mach-E's coming through to compare directly.

I haven't been able to go by the dealer with my Mach-E to compare it directly to their demo unit. Will try to do that sooner than later, once nasty weather stops hounding us here.

I'm not in a huge rush with it, just wanted it documented with my dealer and Ford immediately.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Unfortunately it hasn't progressed much.

Ford said "compare to like model", so when they got a demo model in the service tech claims it has the same whine and is thus "normal". Told them that wasn't good enough for me, but that I know it will take time and more Mach-E's coming through to compare directly.

I haven't been able to go by the dealer with my Mach-E to compare it directly to their demo unit. Will try to do that sooner than later, once nasty weather stops hounding us here.

I'm not in a huge rush with it, just wanted it documented with my dealer and Ford immediately.
I am expecting my MME next week. I will say that if mine makes that whine, I will not accept it as normal, that is for sure. Will report back on all three outstanding issues, the whine, electronics/battery and the sunroof wind noise.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Should we try to make a spreadsheet with members that do and don't have the whine sound, just in case Ford tries to say that it's "normal?"
yes along with evidence of video etc. Its not normal when compared to cars with no whine. If all cars complaining have the whine - there will be need for no whine cars as well.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
yes along with evidence of video etc. Its not normal when compared to cars with no whine. If all cars complaining have the whine - there will be need for no whine cars as well.
While video evidence is great, it's isn't conclusive since different phones/mics may or may not pick it up.

I'll say my iPhone does a great job at recording and playback - it portrays it just as I hear it while inside my car. Playback on other devices/headphones brings different results though. Just played my latest video on my cheap earbuds at work and it's barely audible.

Holding out that I'll get to have another Mach-E beside mine physically that doesn't have the whine to be able to compare/show.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Ugh, so much for the additional display as a wanted feature compared to a vehicle without. :rolleyes: Of course I cannot unhear this so it will probably be the first thing I check when I turn mine on the first time. Like others have said this may be common with the display they chose, but really isn't acceptable for the customer. Hoping there was a bad batch of displays and they will swap them out, charging the supplier for the defect.

• Sad

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Agreed - its not acceptable and needs to be acknowledged and addressed by Ford.
I hope Ford is monitoring this thread because I will NOT complete my purchase if that noise is 'standard' and not considered a defect. I think there is a growing list of others who feel the same. Maybe we should start a survey?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I just went out and took this video. Turned Vehicle OFF, then started recording. The camera is sitting between the wheel and screen.
(Note, I am one of the ones that initially said it wasn't there, but after trying to hear it, I was able to hear it. I have to have my head on the steering wheel to hear it.)

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I just went out and took this video. Turned Vehicle OFF, then started recording. The camera is sitting between the wheel and screen.
(Note, I am one of the ones that initially said it wasn't there, but after trying to hear it, I was able to hear it. I have to have my head on the steering wheel to hear it.)

So its making noise even when you turned it off? The initial thought was the noise was coming from the screen due to it being on...

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So its making noise even when you turned it off? The initial thought was the noise was coming from the screen due to it being on...
Did you watch the video? The screen is on for about 30 seconds after the car is shut off. The noise goes away when the screen actually turns power off. But after you turn off the car the screen is powered for a bit, but showing nothing.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Did you watch the video? The screen is on for about 30 seconds after the car is shut off. The noise goes away when the screen actually turns power off. But after you turn off the car the screen is powered for a bit, but showing nothing.
yeah, i was referring to not having the image on there. I was guessing it was coming from the power of displaying all the pixels.
Sponsored