benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
OK, I sat in my car in the garage with no stereo on, and sure enough my screen makes the noise as well.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
@ChasingCoral I watched the videos in your Dead Low Voltage Battery thread. I am sorry you experienced that.

I couldn’t help noticing that in your video titled IMG 6669 that coil whine is coming loud and clear, and even further confirming it is from the Driver Display because it starts and stops as the Driver Display flashes on and off.

Are you able to hear it yourself when you are in your Mach-E? I know you are dealing with a bigger issue just now, but if someone from Ford engineering got in touch with you, would you please be able to ask them about the coil whine if the opportunity presented itself?

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
From my mme, i played with the brightness from full to low then low to full. It seems not as loud as yours

• Sad
Reactions: ARK

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
From my mme, i played with the brightness from full to low then low to full. It seems not as loud as yours
It’s in mine too but personally I only hear it with dead silence. Once I’m driving, or window open, music or out and about I don’t. I can live with it and if it wasn’t pointed out here I probably wouldn’t even have heard it.

I’m guessing this noise is something that’s not going to get addressed in this MY21.

Last edited:
  • Sad
OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Was playing around in mine this evening and took another video, in case anyone cares....

Tried showing how audible it is, even from the drivers seat.

I will mention that playing back on my desktop speakers doesn't convey the whine very well. Playback on my iPhone does almost perfectly though.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Was playing around in mine this evening and took another video, in case anyone cares....

I will mention that playing back on my desktop speakers doesn't convey the whine very well. Playback on my iPhone does almost perfectly though.
no one is doubting it, many hear it too but it impacts some folks more or less.

personally when in drive, the artificial government mandated noise at slow speeds is more annoying to me.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I've watched everyone's video with this, I can hear it on all though to varying degrees. Regardless of how prevalent it is in one car vs. another, SURELY it should not be there at all, to any degree, on any car. I will second the post highlighting that LCD screens have been around a long while and never have I read of any of them sounding like an old CRT. This is a very strange behavior.

I kind of wonder if it isn't the LCD but something in the dash behind the LCD. That ultimately doesn't matter, but I only mention it to perhaps spur someone to have a brilliant idea ?

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag

Oh yeah no. That would drive me insane. Absolutely insane.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag

It sounds like the sound the ballast for the old laptop screen backlight in my laptop made before I threw it away. I wonder if it’s an LED backlight??

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag

I'm going crazy just hearing your video. I wonder if there is too much power being pulled into the display causing this? Maybe even draining the 12V?!

I drive in silence a lot, often awaiting a call or talking to my kids. I'm not sure I could ignore that sound.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I thought some more about this noise. And I can assume the defenders will say "I'm sure Ford is aware and looking into this. This is what you get with a first generation car" Yada yada...

But screens are not new. In fact, consider a brand new high level TV. Would you turn your brand new TV on and listen to it humming and think "well, it's only humming because I don't have the volume loud enough to drown it out. It's a new generation TV, this is what I paid for... I'm sure they'll fix it on the next model"

Anyone who says "yes" to that is joking themselves. Think about how embarrassed you will feel when showing off your new car features to a passenger in silence so you can explain things. Only for them to say "whats that humming sound?"...is your answer going to be "well, this is a 60k dollar car with new technology, it's only humming because we're not being loud enough to drown it out. Don't worry, Ford is aware!"

Sorry... but this is not "normal" or in my opinion or new lol. I'm really feeling for anyone going through this. I hope you bring it to the attention of Ford quickly and request action.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I thought some more about this noise. And I can assume the defenders will say "I'm sure Ford is aware and looking into this. This is what you get with a first generation car" Yada yada...

But screens are not new. In fact, consider a brand new high level TV. Would you turn your brand new TV on and listen to it humming and think "well, it's only humming because I don't have the volume loud enough to drown it out. It's a new generation TV, this is what I paid for... I'm sure they'll fix it on the next model"

Anyone who says "yes" to that is joking themselves. Think about how embarrassed you will feel when showing off your new car features to a passenger in silence so you can explain things. Only for them to say "whats that humming sound?"...is your answer going to be "well, this is a 60k dollar car with new technology, it's only humming because we're not being loud enough to drown it out. Don't worry, Ford is aware!"

Sorry... but this is not "normal" or in my opinion or new lol. I'm really feeling for anyone going through this. I hope you bring it to the attention of Ford quickly and request action.
I couldn’t agree more. I want to think it is some sort of defective part rather than someone in charge of this choosing the absolute cheapest possible LCD screen on the market.

With so much effort having gone into making the Mach-E brilliant, it is like an olympic track and field runner conditioning themselves for months on end, making sure they are eating clean all the time, diligently studying and trying different techniques to improve their running, and then tripping and falling on race day as they approach the finish line because they forgot to tie their shoes.

It’s just so out of left field that something like this of all things would be an issue on a modern car, particularly in this price range.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
It's very noticeable in my Mach E. I believe it matches the videos from @methorian. I want this fixed. But I end up decided that it's not a deal breaker, and I took delivery of my ordered Mach E despite this. I'm not sure yet whether that was the right decision overall.

Just like others have said in this thread, changing brightness changes the tone of the whine, but doesn't remove it.