methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So even if you pick the darker color setting and not Auto, the brightness still increases due to daylight? Is yours set for darker screen color as a permanent setting or is at set to Auto?
It's set to Dark for both screens - I hate the lighter/white color scheme.

As far as I'm aware, most modern instrument clusters/screen automatically increase/decrease brightness via light sensors for day/night.
Sponsored

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
It's set to Dark for both screens - I hate the lighter/white color scheme.

As far as I'm aware, most modern instrument clusters/screen automatically increase/decrease brightness via light sensors for day/night.
Just an FYI. I did a test drive today - had a Premium AWD ER for about 4 hours to drive and play with. I did not notice any high pitched noise - even with my head near steering wheel (no radio, climate control, etc. on) - and, as a musician, I am very sensitive to sound. There must be defective screens floating around out there that Ford needs to fix.

mountp

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB ME FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I can now hear high pitched noise and it varies with brightness. I also have buzzing noise when I use the AM radio. I wonder if they are related? Basically makes AM unusable. Anyone else have issue with their AM Radio?

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Wellpp, count me in. I'll be watching this thread. I knew if my car had this noise I would hear it. I've been trying to stay away - no offense @methorian - from this and related threads/videos (#bluepill) but sadly unavoidable now. FCTP I drove prior did not have the noise, or maybe I was too excited to notice.

Hoping for a fix from Ford (FFF) soon!

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Just an FYI. I did a test drive today - had a Premium AWD ER for about 4 hours to drive and play with. I did not notice any high pitched noise - even with my head near steering wheel (no radio, climate control, etc. on) - and, as a musician, I am very sensitive to sound. There must be defective screens floating around out there that Ford needs to fix.
That was my initial thought too (both my demo Prem 4X, then Louiebluey GB FE), but the iPhone video challenge proved me wrong. If you get another chance, do a short video with a phone near the steering wheel. Record as you increase and decrease the screen brightness (lower left on dash below steering wheel).

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That was my thought too, but the iPhone video challenge proved me wrong. Do a short video with a phone near the steering wheel if you get another chance. Record as you increase and decrease the screen brightness (lower left on dash below steering wheel).
Scroll through the brightness fast enough and the buzzing reminds me of old 8-bit video game music! A small comfort while I wait for a fix.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I can now hear high pitched noise and it varies with brightness. I also have buzzing noise when I use the AM radio. I wonder if they are related? Basically makes AM unusable. Anyone else have issue with their AM Radio?
Electromagnetic fields are created by an electric motor and motor drive during use. No getting around that. They are strong enough at AM frequencies for your radio to pick them up.

Two choices:
1) Shield everything motor and motor drive related. Twice. Three times. Have AM radio, still get some buzz. Try really good AM radio, still get some buzz.
2) Give up, don't offer AM radio. Some popular EV makers have gone this route.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Electromagnetic fields are created by an electric motor and motor drive during use. No getting around that. They are strong enough at AM frequencies for your radio to pick them up.

Two choices:
1) Shield everything motor and motor drive related. Twice. Three times. Have AM radio, still get some buzz. Try really good AM radio, still get some buzz.
2) Give up, don't offer AM radio. Some popular EV makers have gone this route.
Yup. Polestar, Volvo, and Tesla all ditched AM. Not a coincidence.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Now that's an interesting theory, sounds plausible. Ok all you electric motor experts out there, we would love to hear you weigh in on this.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Now that's an interesting theory, sounds plausible. Ok all you electric motor experts out there, we would love to hear you weigh in on this.
OK, here's a theory:

Ford -
Engineering: EMI makes AM radio near impossible
Marketing: We gotta have it. Studies show BEV owners want AM radio
CEO: Find a way to make AM radio work
Enginering: %$&^#*

Tesla -
Engineering: EMI makes AM radio near impossible
Musk: Screw it then, tell people AM radio is old and we only make cutting edge vehicles
Engineering: Thanks

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I'm sensing a future thread about a mod in the DIY section: "AM antenna delete!"

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Count me in. Picked up my FE a couple days ago and the sound of the screen is very noisy. I doesn't seem to bother me when I'm driving, but sitting with the car stopped while playing with the settings, it really is noticeable. I will let my dealer know so I at least get it logged.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
In AM radio, the 'information' (AKA music) is encoded in the amplitude (or strength) of the signal. Therefore, AM radio is much more sensitive to inconsistent wideband interference. Any spark will create an 'impulse' that essentially is a temporary wideband spike. That's why you can hear a lightning strike on AM radio. Electric motors can and do emit electromagnetic interference (EMI)... however, they can be designed to minimize this and the intensity of the interference drops off exponentially with distance from the source. Passenger trains have huge electric motors, and there's no widespread news of it blocking a passenger from listening to AM radio. Ideally the AM antenna is as far as possible.

That being said, if the screen whine is caused by a bad inductor that could also be a source of possible EMI. I'm curious and will have to test all these theories once I get my car. For those that suffer from bad screen whine, can you check your AM radio signal quality?

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Picked up mine on Monday and it has it. The dealer demo car had it as well. I took a vid showing that it changed with the screen brightness and asked them to send it to Ford with no response yet.
Sponsored