machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Going to chime in, I do not have this whine from the driver display.
You do, you just can't hear it :)

Put it on day mode, full brightness and put your ear to the steering wheel with no background noise.

If not, recored it and post it here, you have yourself a winner if there is ZERO feedback.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
I dont think you need to put the screen in day mode, in dark mode it does it too

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Put it on day mode, full brightness and put your ear to the steering wheel with no background noise.
If you have to put your ear to the steering wheel to hear the hum or whine, you’re making much ado about nothing.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
If you have to put your ear to the steering wheel to hear the hum or whine, you’re making much ado about nothing.
The idea is that some people are less sensitive, therefore they may need to do that to hear it. When a less sensitive person (e.g. one with high frequency hearing loss) cannot hear it or can only hear it when putting their ear near the steering wheel, a more sensitive person can hear it in normal seating position.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Agreed, but the million dollar question so to speak is whether these differences in perceived volume are linked to differences with the amount of noise produced by any given screen or people’s sensitivity to this high-pitched sound.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
It's noticable when at a standstill and nothing on. That said, when driving it does get drowned out by road noise and wind noise. :/

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I can hear it from normal driving position, at speed, with the audio system on. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it. It's a constant presence. It's overwhelming.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Day Mode is so bright that one of first settings I’m going to configure is always Night Mode. Much more pleasant and perfectly visible in full daylight.

I’m also not going to drive with my ear pressed against the steering wheel until Ford enables Hands Free Driving.

Hopefully this won’t be an issue for me. I’ll know in two days.

Another_Engineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Country flag
I test drove one this past weekend and the electrical noise was very easy to hear from my driving position. I was curious if the noise was a one off issue, but then found this thread and see it’s fairly widespread. Other than this, I thought the car was really enjoyable to drive. Here’s to hoping that Ford is able to resolve the problem before I need to finalize my vehicle decision.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So - On my drive into work this morning the whine was really getting to me. So I started fiddling with brightness again - this was the first time I'd did so while it was dark out. Turns out a bit less than "medium" brightness, while it's dark out, makes the whine almost completely go away for me!!!! It was like night and day. It is a pretty dim brightness setting, but I was happy to not hear it for once.

Unfortunately as I got to work and the sun was coming up the car was increasing the brightness to accommodate, and the whine came back. In daylight there is no brightness setting that makes it go away like that, so far as I've been able to test.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
So - On my drive into work this morning the whine was really getting to me. So I started fiddling with brightness again - this was the first time I'd did so while it was dark out. Turns out a bit less than "medium" brightness, while it's dark out, makes the whine almost completely go away for me!!!! It was like night and day. It is a pretty dim brightness setting, but I was happy to not hear it for once.

Unfortunately as I got to work and the sun was coming up the car was increasing the brightness to accommodate, and the whine came back. In daylight there is no brightness setting that makes it go away like that, so far as I've been able to test.
So even if you pick the darker color setting and not Auto, the brightness still increases due to daylight? Is yours set for darker screen color as a permanent setting or is at set to Auto?
Sponsored