High Voltage Battery and Powertrain Malfunction Alerts: 2 times in 16 days. MachE GT HP Dead

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE GT/PE,'22 MBS550'16,MBC350'12,MBCLS550,'12
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
7/15/2022 my 2022 MachE GT HP flashed 2 specific warnings of "High voltage battery warning" and "Powertrain malfunction/reduced power" on the app and on the dash. In what seems a few minutes later car shut down and I coasted to a stop. Also got a traditional check engine light go off earlier in the afternoon. First indication something was seriously wrong while driving the car said the front cameras were not functioning. 10 minutes later after I stopped every interior function stopped working while waiting for a tow truck. Even flashers went out while Police and I were talking. Fortunately was not on a busy road. Car doors were in locked condition. With my wallet inside. No power and unable to open doors manually???? The key fob has a flat key but a dummy manual key. Had car towed to Ford Dealer with a Dolly system this past Monday not to damage the motors or carriage. Was able to jump the Frunk myself on Saturday, then jump the 12V battery so I could get out my personal belongings before I brought it to dealer. Next day dealer said the 12V battery was dead and it had nothing to do with the recall. Got the recall letter on Friday. Murphy law was in full force. Dealership said they performed the SW update and replaced the 12V battery. Said my problem was not part of the recall. Dont believe it. Now I have no confidence to take the car on longer drives. Car has only 700 miles. Delivered in May, ordered in January. Am so lucky I was near home. Seriously thinking to sell it now.

In my view the 12V battery system is a huge issue as a single point of failure
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! 16 days back from the dealership and same 2 indicators go off. Less than 5 miles from home with the car shutting down rolled into my driveway. have only driven the car 5 times with less than 200 miles. SW fix is not the answer. Brand new 12 volt battery dead again. I have less than zero confidence in the car. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Looks like lemon law and a full refund. I sold an S550 Coupe for this new experience.

mustang-mach-e-battery-drain

ford-mache-12v-battery-issue

1-year later after spending $77000 in cash for a dead car
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! 16 days back from the dealership and same 2 indicators go off. Less than 5 miles from home with the car shutting down rolled into my driveway. have only driven the car 5 times with less than 200 miles. SW fix is not the answer. Brand new 12 volt battery dead again. I have less than zero confidence in the car. Back to the dealer tomorrow. Looks like lemon law and a full refund. I sold an S550 Coupe for this new experience.

Have folks here check for diagnostic codes. Sounds like you might need a HVBJB replacement but you might want to start with a competent dealer to diagnose what's going on.

OP
OP
RAP

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have folks here check for diagnostic codes. Sounds like you might need a HVBJB replacement but you might want to start with a competent dealer to diagnose what's going on.
Thank you. Dealer first time just swapped out 12 volt battery. Calling them tomorrow. Anyone know what those codes are to replace the junction box? THANK YOU

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Thank you. Dealer first time just swapped out 12 volt battery. Calling them tomorrow. Anyone know what those codes are to replace the junction box? THANK YOU
Everything you need to know is in the first post of this awesome thread. TLDR: sometimes, the problem first manifests by the HVBJB not properly keeping your 12V charged, which causes the symptoms you had.

I suspect that the dealer treated the symptoms without investigating the root cause. Ping that thread and one of the great volunteers there will ask for your VIN to see if your car has any codes thrown. Also, if you get the recall software on your car, you might get the new diagnostic code thrown that your HVBJB is damaged, but not yet completely failed. With this code, they'll have to replace it with the redesigned one that isn't faulty.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

Yes, agree you probably have a bad HVBJB if you get a stop safely now error. The battery will stop being charged because the high voltage is shut off when the error occurs. The charging system is working as designed. Dealer probably needs to drop the pack and replace it.

OP
OP
RAP

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Everything you need to know is in the first post of this awesome thread. TLDR: sometimes, the problem first manifests by the HVBJB not properly keeping your 12V charged, which causes the symptoms you had.

I suspect that the dealer treated the symptoms without investigating the root cause. Ping that thread and one of the great volunteers there will ask for your VIN to see if your car has any codes thrown. Also, if you get the recall software on your car, you might get the new diagnostic code thrown that your HVBJB is damaged, but not yet completely failed. With this code, they'll have to replace it with the redesigned one that isn't faulty.
Thank you very much! Calling ford tomorrow

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
By looking at your car it would appear to me that there's a short somewhere, a loose connection or a damaged high voltage cable. It's not HVBJB failure. Additionally, you do have 22S41 installed (however it was installed after your brought the car in).

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAP

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Am waiting to hear back from dealership. Am in touch with the service manager. Do u work for ford?
Thank you

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Do u work for ford?
Fortunately for me, no... I might have a few connections with some people though :)

Get a case started with the BEV team tomorrow and let's see if the dealership is able to diagnose the issue. I'll send you a DM right now and when you get your case number you can send it to me in the Direct Message. If Ford needs to reach out to the dealer I'm sure they will.

OP
OP
RAP

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Perfect. Thank you very much for your help!

rich

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
Best of luck. Please keep us up to date.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Good morning. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Mach-E's powertrain and battery concerns.

OP
OP
RAP

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
HI there- Can you confirm if you received my private message please? Thanks.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD, ER: 2021 silver & 2023 orange
Occupation
Physician
Country flag

Greetings,
Just letting you know your not alone with your experience, and I know it is terrible to say this, but it makes me feel better that someone has had the unresponsive car issue. Sounds like mine did the same thing, but not while driving. It just wouldn't start or open the doors, and flashed the lights for a while but wouldn't let me open any of the doors and had my ID/wallet/insurance cards/house keys/etc inside. I had it towed to the dealership, and they were unable to open it as well... 4 days later they get it open so I can get my wallet, but I assume it is still inoperable since I have not heard from anyone from the dealership.
Do you think you will lemon law it, and if you do, have you considered a replacement, or for sure want the refund? I picked the replacement back in Jan 2022, but due to the dealerships (the first 4 I worked with)refusing to order the replacement car, since they aren't allowed to charge above the msrp, the 2022 ordering had closed before I found a dealership that would in late Feb/early March. I went yesterday to order the same car I originally bought with the same stats, and now it looks like I will have to pay the 12000-14000 difference between my original MSRP (even though I paid over sticker when I bought it) and the current MSRP. Waiting to hear back from my rep on if I have other options. If you think you may consider the replacement, then I'll keep you updated if the rep gives other options or not. Though I guess it might be different based on your states lemon laws.

OP
OP
RAP

RAP

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow- You know I love the car I really do but dont trust it. I just got it back today after a third Powertrain Malfunction. Gear knob component replacement. I am waiting on the pricing of the 2023 equivalent GT/PE. Then I plan to check Cars.com on what the value maybe (either up or down I suppose) on today's value. Am thinking a private sale, Ford buyback, stick with it and assume more agony sure to come, or get a Macan-GTS. Good Luck to you. We are both early adopter ginnea pigs I suppose
Sponsored