Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My iPhone X in an Otterbox Defender case never shut down going to WA and back. 2021 Oct 15 2021 GT-PE. I now have an iPhone 13 Pro, but I haven’t traveled at all since I got that. 🤪🐩
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Just a little side note to this thread, OP said he’s got an iPhone X. MagSafe didn’t get added to the iPhone wireless charging until the iPhone 12, so the TSB probably wouldn’t apply to him anyway as there are no MagSafe magnets to get in the way, so to speak. Given that it’s an iPhone X, the battery has probably also aged quite a bit, so that’s not going to help matters either.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I was intrigued by this question nd some responses so I did a little experiment with wireless charging my iPhone SE 22 with 69% charge, medium thick case and 82 miles of driving on today's errands. I finished at 82% charge with no overheating, not even warm.
With Carplay running during that time?

IMHO, wireless Carplay is a big battery drain which produces significant heat, and wireless charging also produces significant heat. I think it's the combination of the two that makes the phone quite hot.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
hot phones are not good for your phone battery, i use a magnetic usbc cord to easily connect/disconnect charging in car. its as convenient as wireless charging

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

IMHO, wireless Carplay is a big battery drain which produces significant heat, and wireless charging also produces significant heat. I think it's the combination of the two that makes the phone quite hot.
Add google maps navigation. Watch the world burn.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I don't use CarPlay and ordinarily have nothing streaming over bluetooth, and perhaps that is why, but I find the wireless charger is faster than a normal 5v charger in charging my iPhone. I have an iPhone SE (2022), and do keep it in a TPU case.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
Maybe didn’t have wireless CarPlay? So you weren’t using the GPS and streaming? or had a lower power inductive charger?
I absolutely was using gps and streaming on wireless Android auto while wireless charging on a rental Kia K5. Zero issues. The wireless charger on the Mach E is just extremely weak

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I mostly use Ford navigation. Carplay does come on when I get the occasional text, but then I switch it off.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I absolutely was using gps and streaming on wireless Android auto while wireless charging on a rental Kia K5. Zero issues. The wireless charger on the Mach E is just extremely weak
Gotcha. Makes me wonder if android auto uses less processing power than CarPlay. Or perhaps iPhones just don’t do as well with inductive charging and android phones. Almost all complaints I’ve seen on this issue involve iPhones.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
Gotcha. Makes me wonder if android auto uses less processing power than CarPlay. Or perhaps iPhones just don’t do as well with inductive charging and android phones. Almost all complaints I’ve seen on this issue involve iPhones.
Don't get me wrong, our Android phones both don't work properly on wireless AA and wireless charging in the MME lol. Maybe it's the required processing power plus PAAK plus a really weak charger.

Lookitsdrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium
Country flag
I just got my MME 23 last week built date in December 2022. I am not sure if I have the most recent update. But I am having the same issue with my IPhone 12 mini, after 20 mins it super hot to touch and then it shuts off. It’s connected wirelessly to Apple CarPlay…..

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I just got my MME 23 last week built date in December 2022. I am not sure if I have the most recent update. But I am having the same issue with my IPhone 12 mini, after 20 mins it super hot to touch and then it shuts off. It’s connected wirelessly to Apple CarPlay…..
Sounds like you need the WACM update, it will still get warm (~105F) afterwards but not hot enough to shut down (~125F) hopefully.

OP
OP
67 Stang Convertible

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I'm coming on almost 2 years of ownership. To my knowledge no updates have addressed the phone over heating. I can drive about 40 min and then Apple Car Play shuts down due to the phone over heating. The upside is I rarely need to drive that long day to day.

When the rare long trip comes; I use a usb cord and keep the phone on the right side of the pad. My car is a '21; I'd had hoped they had fixed this by now!?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I'm coming on almost 2 years of ownership. To my knowledge no updates have addressed the phone over heating. I can drive about 40 min and then Apple Car Play shuts down due to the phone over heating. The upside is I rarely need to drive that long day to day.

When the rare long trip comes; I use a usb cord and keep the phone on the right side of the pad. My car is a '21; I'd had hoped they had fixed this by now!?
Have you done the WACM update?

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
My phone (Iphone 13 mini) slides from the "charging sweet spot" of the mat with most any acceleration or turn. So it generally loses its charging connection within a few minutes of starting my drive. A silicone replacement mat was only marginally better. If I need a charge I pull out the usb cable.
Sponsored