Hotspot and Ford Streaming

aporzio1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT
Country flag
If I sign up for the AT&T hotspot, Do I also need to get the Ford streaming subscription or will the hotspot also provide internet access to the Sync features like music streaming and Alexa?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The hotspot is a hotspot for your phones and tablets. Period. Many people just use their phone's hotspot.

Ford Streaming is a specific service. It's for music, podcasts, and audio books, via Lexa, for a monthly fee. It doesn't give you a hotspot. https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-4a/how-do-i-use-ford-streaming/

If you want to use features in Sync, like watching a Youtube video, you need to connect via WiFi either to your phone's hotspot, or to a hotel, restaurant, or your home's WiFi. NOT Ford Streaming, NOT the Ford hotspot.

No, they could not make it more confusing.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If you want to use features in Sync, like watching a Youtube video, you need to connect via WiFi either to your phone's hotspot, or to a hotel, restaurant, or your home's WiFi. NOT Ford Streaming, NOT the Ford hotspot.
Ford Streaming does provide the ability to watch YouTube without connecting to WiFi. However, Ford Hotspot does not.

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
The vehicle hotspot is for your personal devices to access the AT&T cell network for data if needed (ex: a WiFi-only iPad).

Ford streaming is for your vehicle to stream data (YouTube, music, news, etc..) from the AT&T cell network to the Sync screen.

They are separate and independent services.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Is there some technical reason why the car's Ford Hotspot can't be used for the car's YouTube? I know the car does not allow you to connect it's WiFi connection to the car's Ford Hotspot, so what I mean is do you know if there is a hardware limitation that prevents this, or is it just being blocked intentionally? Perhaps to encourage purchasing the Ford Streaming?

I am able to get the car's YouTube app to use the car's Ford Hotspot, but only by going through my phone: my phone connects to the car's hotspot, then I share that internet connection from my phone's hotspot, then the car connects to my phone's WiFi hotspot. It's just a few button presses, but it's so stupid to have to do that.

Why can't the car just use its own cellular hotspot directly?

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I can not think of a bigger waste of money then paying for "Ford Streaming".

In its current state its laggy and slow youtube at best.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Is there some technical reason why the car's Ford Hotspot can't be used for the car's YouTube? I know the car does not allow you to connect it's WiFi connection to the car's Ford Hotspot, so what I mean is do you know if there is a hardware limitation that prevents this, or is it just being blocked intentionally? Perhaps to encourage purchasing the Ford Streaming?

I am able to get the car's YouTube app to use the car's Ford Hotspot, but only by going through my phone: my phone connects to the car's hotspot, then I share that internet connection from my phone's hotspot, then the car connects to my phone's WiFi hotspot. It's just a few button presses, but it's so stupid to have to do that.

Why can't the car just use its own cellular hotspot directly?
It is just Ford wanting max cash! Most other vehicles have this - where you get in car internet connectivity for the apps and hotspot for one price. Ford needs to unify them.

Just so you know, you're not actually sharing your car's hotspot by what you're doing. That isn't possible. You can only hotspot your phone to share your phone's cellular connection, which is what you're doing. You might as well just cancel your hotspot subscription and do this, that's what most everyone else does as cell plans generally include hotspotting for free or the same price as Ford's, but it then gives you freedom to use the hotspot wherever you want, if needed.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Just so you know, you're not actually sharing your car's hotspot by what you're doing. That isn't possible. You can only hotspot your phone to share your phone's cellular connection, which is what you're doing.
But I turned off my cellular connection. Are you saying that with my cellular turned off, turning on the phone's hotspot secretly turns it back on? Or could it be that it actually is sharing the car's hotspot?

Edit: I have, many times in the past, when my phone didn't have a cell signal but did have a WiFi connection, have turned on my WiFi hotspot and connected it to other devices.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
But I turned off my cellular connection. Are you saying that with my cellular turned off, turning on the phone's hotspot secretly turns it back on? Or could it be that it actually is sharing the car's hotspot?

Edit: I have, many times in the past, when my phone didn't have a cell signal but did have a WiFi connection, have turned on my WiFi hotspot and connected it to other devices.
Odd, I've never heard of that being possible, but maybe it is a thing now. I have never been able to turn on my phone's hotspot and it shares the WiFi connection I'm connected to. It has to use cellular data.

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
Odd, I've never heard of that being possible, but maybe it is a thing now. I have never been able to turn on my phone's hotspot and it shares the WiFi connection I'm connected to. It has to use cellular data.
I found that this capability, to share a WiFi connection, is something that Google Pixel phones have had since Pixel 3. I have a Pixel 7 Pro.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I found that this capability, to share a WiFi connection, is something that Google Pixel phones have had since Pixel 3. I have a Pixel 7 Pro.
You are correct, Pixel phones can share a WiFi connection. I just verified this on my Pixel 6a phones, turned off cellular, turned on hotspot, connected 2nd phone to the hotspot on the first phone, then verified I could surf the internet and that neither phone was using cellular.
Sponsored