How are OTA updates disseminated

Up and Over

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT, Iconic Silver
Country flag
I searched the forum but could not find an answer (apologies if it is out there and I missed it).

How are the OTA software updates disseminated? It is clear that they are not pushed out to everyone all at once.

Does it vary by model year or trim? Are there other factors involved like build date? This would seem to make sense for a couple of reasons. Later builds would have more up to date software but are their variations based on the supply chain issues of the last few years?
Sponsored

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
First Ford looks at who needs them, decides the best order, throws that in a blender, throws that in the garbage, and then lets a magic 8 ball do it.

In short no one knows. Some people get a bunch in quick succession, some go months without them.

There is some “you need X before Y” but it’s not consistent. So you probably need 1.8 before 2.3, but you may get 1.8 before 1.7 and everything is fine.

The fact people report new versions without clearly marking they’re n early access makes it worse.

I think we’d all love some kind of clarity, but mostly it doesn’t exist. We know updates are spaced out, so people get the over weeks and months, and that’s about ALL we seem to know for sure.

Sorry.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
None of the things I'd really like to say would be helpful.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does it vary by model year or trim? Are there other factors involved like build date? This would seem to make sense for a couple of reasons. Later builds would have more up to date software but are their variations based on the supply chain issues of the last few years?
Yes and yes. For example, with the recall update Ford seems to have applied the update in chronological order. So early build 2021's were first in July, and later build 2022's have only recently gotten the recall OTA. It also depends on your dependancies. Some OTAs need to happen first before others will trigger, etc.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
I searched the forum but could not find an answer (apologies if it is out there and I missed it).

How are the OTA software updates disseminated? It is clear that they are not pushed out to everyone all at once.

Ford has a very strict policy on how it decides which OTA's to roll out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How are OTA updates disseminated ezgif.com-gif-maker

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag