How Do I Know If The Battery Is Pre Conditioning?

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
Since i have moved over to daily driving, I have set a 7:30 am departure time on my mache for M-F with the cabin being set as warm.

After driving to work, i noticed the battery is using 13% of the charge for external environment. I would have thought this would pre condition as part of the preparation for the departure time?

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a glitch in the scheduling? (happy to be doing something wrong)
Sponsored

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Since i have moved over to daily driving, I have set a 7:30 am departure time on my mache for M-F with the cabin being set as warm.

After driving to work, i noticed the battery is using 13% of the charge for external environment. I would have thought this would pre condition as part of the preparation for the departure time?

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a glitch in the scheduling? (happy to be doing something wrong)
Are you referring to 13% of your battery percentage on the GOM is gone (ie: You charge to 80 but it's at 67% when you leave)? Or are you referring to the "where's my energy going?" page on the main screen?

If the latter, it sure sounds like a software bug if you're departing in the AM with a battery that is charged to the level you've set.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

What is the exterior temperature and what is your consumption. Are you looking at full screen this trip info when you say 13%?

Here is a -13C 120 km run on snow pack back roads last winter. It is mostly your consumption number you need to keep an eye on ext. temp goes down that will always go up. Speed will also do that -15C and 120 km/hr I was seeing 31 KW/100 km. This summer at 110 averaging 19.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How Do I Know If The Battery Is Pre Conditioning? Untitled-1

OP
OP
MorsRedigo

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
Are you referring to 13% of your battery percentage on the GOM is gone (ie: You charge to 80 but it's at 67% when you leave)? Or are you referring to the "where's my energy going?" page on the main screen?

If the latter, it sure sounds like a software bug if you're departing in the AM with a battery that is charged to the level you've set.
More of the battery usage shows 10-13% used due to external temps

OP
OP
MorsRedigo

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
What is the exterior temperature and what is your consumption. Are you looking at full screen this trip info when you say 13%?

Here is a -13C 120 km run on snow pack back roads last winter. It is mostly your consumption number you need to keep an eye on ext. temp goes down that will always go up. Speed will also do that -15C and 120 km/hr I was seeing 31 KW/100 km. This summer at 110 averaging 19.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How Do I Know If The Battery Is Pre Conditioning? Untitled-1
So this was with 10-15c in the morning. it was showing 11-13% on the ext. temp. even though i had pre conditioned the battery, i would have thought it would have prepped the battery for the optimal temp before departing.

It was viewing the full 15 km trip which is a mix of 50km/hr and 80km/hr

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So this was with 10-15c in the morning. it was showing 11-13% on the ext. temp. even though i had pre conditioned the battery, i would have thought it would have prepped the battery for the optimal temp before departing.

It was viewing the full 15 km trip which is a mix of 50km/hr and 80km/hr
No one quite knows what that ext. temp % number means ?‍♂ . The batteries in the pic I posted were definitely warmed after 120 km and it displays exactly the same at similar temperature. If I had to guess I would guess your range is reduced by 11-13% due to the temp and you are doing nothing wrong. Just guessing.

Preconditioning (setting departure time, remote start) heats your cabin on plug power so it does not use your batteries to do this which is saving them for range. It does not change the fact that your batteries do not go as far when the temp goes down. 15 km you should make it there and back no probs ;).

OP
OP
MorsRedigo

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
No one quite knows what that ext. temp % number means ?‍♂ . The batteries in the pic I posted were definitely warmed after 120 km and it displays exactly the same at similar temperature. If I had to guess I would guess your range is reduced by 11-13% due to the temp and you are doing nothing wrong. Just guessing.

Preconditioning (setting departure time, remote start) heats your cabin on plug power so it does not use your batteries to do this which is saving them for range. It does not change the fact that your batteries do not go as far when the temp goes down. 15 km you should make it there and back no probs ;).
Sounds good! I was more of wondering if it did pre condition the batteries as well, but i suspect it doesnt.

Thanks for confirming my madness!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

FordPass will show "PREPARING FOR DRIVE" when the vehicle is pre conditioning the cabin and/or battery.

Unusual to see any energy usage for Exterior Temp when ambient is in the 10-15 C range.
What was your low overnight temp?

Does your departure time feature appear to work? For the last month or two, mine hasn't worked unless the car is awakened. However, today it was pre-conditioning the cabin when I walked outside and I don't think I woke it up. So, maybe Departure Times are working again?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Sounds good! I was more of wondering if it did pre condition the batteries as well, but i suspect it doesnt.

There is language in the WSM that says it will pre condition the battery for a departure time if needed. Doesn't say what constitutes a need. For my Focus Electric, it was 0 C. Any colder than 0 C and the battery would be heated along with the cabin.

OP
OP
MorsRedigo

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
FordPass will show "PREPARING FOR DRIVE" when the vehicle is pre conditioning the cabin and/or battery.

Unusual to see any energy usage for Exterior Temp when ambient is in the 10-15 C range.

Does your departure time feature appear to work? For the last month or two, mine hasn't worked unless the car is awakened. However, today it was pre-conditioning the cabin when I walked outside and I don't think I woke it up. So, maybe Departure Times are working again?
Thanks for the input! Yes mine is doing the same thing, it wont really do anything unless i wake it up.

it has gone down to 6-8 c but right now we are sitting at 10-12c in the prairies

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for the input! Yes mine is doing the same thing, it wont really do anything unless i wake it up.

it has gone down to 6-8 c but right now we are sitting at 10-12c in the prairies
It probably won't warm up the battery until the battery itself is around 0 C.
Not really sure about that though......I have very little EV experience with temps near freezing or lower.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

They may have been tinkering with your car ?‍♂ here is to hoping.

There is language in the WSM that says it will pre condition the battery for a departure time if needed. Doesn't say what constitutes a need. For my Focus Electric, it was 0 C. Any colder than 0 C and the battery would be heated along with the cabin.
My bad I read -15 and not 10-15.

You would not think the BMS would be happening above 0C? Also a 15km run may not be long enough to define much? If it was driven farther you may see that number go down. The tires may not even be warmed up in that distance. The first few miles are always the toughest. Watched a few videos where reviewers were scratching their heads about what ext temp meant.

For me it all about watching the consumption number. But it needs time to stabilized. What departure does to the pack ?‍♂. The word precondition I have not seen for this vehicle it is used by the other guys i thought. What does WSM stand for and does it state preconditioning in fords literature?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
They may have been tinkering with your car ?‍♂ here is to hoping.

My bad I read -15 and not 10-15.

You would not think the BMS would be happening above 0C? Also a 15km run may not be long enough to define much? If it was driven farther you may see that number go down. The tires may not even be warmed up in that distance. The first few miles are always the toughest. Watched a few videos where reviewers were scratching their heads about what ext temp meant.

For me it all about watching the consumption number. But it needs time to stabilized. What departure does to the pack ?‍♂. The word precondition I have not seen for this vehicle it is used by the other guys i thought. What does WSM stand for and does it state preconditioning in fords literature?
Work Shop Manual.
Yes, it says something about conditioning the "drive system" when temps are above or below a certain threshold. I'll try and find where I read it and post the details.

The patent filed for the Focus Electric thermal management system was very detailed but very vague at the same time. I had to dissect my system and study the language to figure out the specific strategy. Lift the hood and everything is right there on display so it was just a matter of taking my time and labeling all the hoses and valves etc.

The Mach-E is different because a lot of stuff is hidden from view but I've seen enough components to start forming a solid idea how it all works.

I haven't seen a patent filing yet for the Mach-E but I can see the diagrams in the WSM and make some correlations. The orange and blue lines separate at 40 C (104 F). I'll have to go back and look at my notes for this vehicle but if I remember correctly if the air to water radiator is able to drop the fluid temp below 40 C then the chiller doesn't get involved. That seems to be a threshold of some kind.

The other threshold is 55 C. I think the car shut down when battery reaches that temp.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How Do I Know If The Battery Is Pre Conditioning? 1630351962814

OP
OP
MorsRedigo

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
Work Shop Manual.
Yes, it says something about conditioning the "drive system" when temps are above or below a certain threshold. I'll try and find where I read it and post the details.

The patent filed for the Focus Electric thermal management system was very detailed but very vague at the same time. I had to dissect my system and study the language to figure out the specific strategy. Lift the hood and everything is right there on display so it was just a matter of taking my time and labeling all the hoses and valves etc.

The Mach-E is different because a lot of stuff is hidden from view but I've seen enough components to start forming a solid idea how it all works.

I haven't seen a patent filing yet for the Mach-E but I can see the diagrams in the WSM and make some correlations. The orange and blue lines separate at 40 C (104 F). I'll have to go back and look at my notes for this vehicle but if I remember correctly if the air to water radiator is able to drop the fluid temp below 40 C then the chiller doesn't get involved. That seems to be a threshold of some kind.

The other threshold is 55 C. I think the car shut down when battery reaches that temp.

Ford Mustang Mach-E How Do I Know If The Battery Is Pre Conditioning? 1630351962814
Wow that is a lot of detail. I am big into the software stuff, but under the hood of a modern car not so much.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Yes - no battery warm up when you precondition...the preconditioning time is not enough to warm up that size battery anyway as far as I know).

Also if for some reason you dont plug it in overnight but have precondition to run when not plugged in, expect the precondition to run on east coast time (may be different from local time). There is a setting for time zone which defaults to east coast (detroit unless it shows differently for you in Canada) and cant be changed yet. And the ford pass message in that case will be something like SRS (scheduled Remote Start) triggered etc.
Sponsored